220 OceanPro Prop Pitch

Re: 220 OceanPro Prop Pitch

Unread postby fair hooker » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:14 pm

Tubby 301

Good job at getting your RPMs up and thanks for the explanation. I think similar to you the problem with my low RPMs might be with the motor setup rather than the wrong prop.

I checked the motor mounting height and it looked correct. I looked at the throttle linkage at the motor end and the lock nut was loose. It is tempting to pull the clip out and adjust the end piece to increase wide open throttle, but that is dangerous with a new motor and my lack of understanding of what I am doing. I have not been able to find a Yamaha Service Bulletin on adjusting throttle.

I have a appointment with the local Yamaha mechanic next week to hook the motor up to the computer and generally assess anything that might be causing the low RPMs.
fair hooker
Egg
Egg

Name: Bob
Vessel: 2017 22 ft Ocean Pro
MMSI: 0

Re: 220 OceanPro Prop Pitch

Unread postby fair hooker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:18 pm

The local Yamaha mechanic said everything was fine with my 175 hp Yamaha so I pursued getting a lower pitched prop to increase my RPMs.

The dealer in Pasco (NW Marine) where I purchased the boat agreed to exchange the original Yamaha Reliance 3 blade SS prop with a diameter of 14.5 and pitch of 15 for the same prop except a pitch of 14. This increased my max RPMs from about 5500 to 5800. I am happy with that. Thank you NW Marine for exchanging the props free of charge to me!
fair hooker
Egg
Egg

Name: Bob
Vessel: 2017 22 ft Ocean Pro
MMSI: 0

Previous

Return to Boats