Upgrading Bow Mount Trolling motor

Upgrading Bow Mount Trolling motor

Unread postby RFT » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:20 pm

I will possibly be upgrading my bow mount Trolling motor but really am asking myself "Do I really need to upgrade?"
My existing trolling motor I have has been on my last two boats and purchased it around 2002-04, so it is older, but has trolling motor technology and advances really advanced a whole lot over the years? Dunno since I've never really kept an eye on the newer stuff. I have the i-pilot upgrade kit for it and it has a 60" shaft, its also a 12V and still works ok. Is newer really better? :?: :?:
2004 Sportsman 18
2004 90hp Honda
2004 8hp Tohatsu Kicker

Lowrance Elite7X CHIRP
Garmin GPSmap 741
Troll Master Pro 2
RFT
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor

Name: Ron
Vessel Name: BOAT
Vessel: 2004 Sportsman 18

Re: Upgrading Bow Mount Trolling motor

Unread postby d_smith84 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:24 pm

I would say there are only two negatives with what you have; it's a 12 volt system and it won't network to your electronics. The first is not an issue since you've had it for quite a few years and not sure if the networking issue is a big deal either. I've had both and think they are both good units, so in my opinion you're not going to gain much by upgrading unless you went with a 24 or 36 volt unit. Being able to plot a course on your lowrance and have a minnkota follow it is nice but there are not a lot of days I don't bother with it, I use the remote and fish.
d_smith84
Salmon
Salmon

Name: Dan Smith
Vessel: 20' ET Searunner

Unread postby Lunker » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:43 pm

You could spend a whole lot of money on an upgraded Minn Kota and get longer run time going to 24v. The spot lock is really a great option to me. It's like an anchor without the rope. But if you're happy with the current system you have, why spend the money? I went with a 24v Riptide Ulterra for the many times I fish the salt. It's perfect for my Sportsman at 60 inches. Being able to deploy and stow without ever going up to the bow I consider a great safety feature in rough water or ice cold winter day huddled under the canvas.
Lunker
Alevin
Alevin

Name: Curtis Townsend
Vessel Name: Jiggin Time
Vessel: 2017 Sportsman 200

Unread postby RFT » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:37 am

Lunker wrote:You could spend a whole lot of money on an upgraded Minn Kota and get longer run time going to 24v. The spot lock is really a great option to me. It's like an anchor without the rope. But if you're happy with the current system you have, why spend the money? I went with a 24v Riptide Ulterra for the many times I fish the salt. It's perfect for my Sportsman at 60 inches. Being able to deploy and stow without ever going up to the bow I consider a great safety feature in rough water or ice cold winter day huddled under the canvas.

I probably for now will leave my current set up alone, for now, but I would really like to go to a 24V system like your Ulterra with the Auto deploy and stow but would have to rethink my battery situation.
Do you have pics of your battery placement and set up?
2004 Sportsman 18
2004 90hp Honda
2004 8hp Tohatsu Kicker

Lowrance Elite7X CHIRP
Garmin GPSmap 741
Troll Master Pro 2
RFT
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor

Name: Ron
Vessel Name: BOAT
Vessel: 2004 Sportsman 18

Unread postby BrownBear » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:45 am

My experience with trolling motors until recently was older models such as yours. Okay, but not enough to make me want one on a boat. Then I had the pleasure of riding a boat with a "modern" version and got to run the controls a bit. Couldn't get one of my own fast enough.

For me the big deals are the fob controls, anchoring, and short distance movements while at anchor. Flawless. Steer where you want and stop when you want from anywhere in the boat. Anchor to fish a spot, then just "toggle" the motor to advance in any direction 10' at a time to anchor again. That's priceless on windy days when working a weed edge or reef or some such. And a 24v system keeps on ticking all day while whizzing your boat around when you need speed. Lots, lots more carefree fishing without any fiddling.
"Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
Merle Haggard
BrownBear
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor

Name: Hank
Vessel Name: Miss Chiquita
Vessel: 20' Open Fisherman

Unread postby Lunker » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:54 am

Do you have pics of your battery placement and set up?
2004 Sportsman 18

No pictures, but my batteries are in the compartment up front below the walkthrough.
Lunker
Alevin
Alevin

Name: Curtis Townsend
Vessel Name: Jiggin Time
Vessel: 2017 Sportsman 200

Unread postby Hap » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:02 pm

I had the old trolling motor with foot pedal in bow on my old boat and barely used it. Now with the remote, spot-lock, auto deploy and stow, setting a waypoint and auto pilot, its a whole new world. Fighting a fish in back by myself or setting down riggers while steering with remote or using auto pilot is unbelievable. I now drive boat to my favorite spot lock point on my chart, grab the remote and hit auto deploy and then spot lock and start fishing! When returning home just plug in the on board charger and your good to go for next trip.

DSCF0354.jpg

DSCF0355.jpg

DSCF0356.jpg

DSCF0359.jpg

DSCF0360.jpg

DSCF0362.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 Honda BF100
2017 Honda BF8 kicker w/trim and separate controls at helm
Honda tie bar- not the junky Panther one!
Minn Kota Ulterra with i-pilot link to Humminbird Helix 9
Navionics and Lake Master chips
Minn Kota 3 bank on board charger
Walker down-riggers
Hap
Parr
Parr

Name: Ric
Vessel Name: NEVER SKUNKED
Vessel: 2017 Sportsman 180

Unread postby SilverFox » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:47 am

Nice Hap!
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA
SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand

Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread postby Albe160 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:23 am

Thanks for the pics. I have a 160 sportsman on order and was wondering if a 60 bow mounted rip tide Terrova would fit on the bow and if 2 battery’s would fit in the walk thru cubby. Any tip would appreciated.
Albe160
Egg
Egg

Name: Al
Vessel Name: Aljo
Vessel: 160 Sportsman

Unread postby D'oh » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:57 am

Albe160 wrote:Thanks for the pics. I have a 160 sportsman on order and was wondering if a 60 bow mounted rip tide Terrova would fit on the bow and if 2 battery’s would fit in the walk thru cubby. Any tip would appreciated.

Welcome aboard. A lot of Knowledge and help to be found here.

Ric's pictures show a very neat setup for a Sportsman. 160-200. 2 Batteries fit nicely.
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A
14x23 Suzuki SS Prop (47mph@6100rpm)
D'oh
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor

Name: Bob
Vessel Name: Black Sky
Vessel: 200 Sportsman/140A Zuke

Next

Return to Electronics