Charts for HDS gen 1

Charts for HDS gen 1

Unread postby mnimrod45 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:52 pm

Hey guys,

I have been asking a few questions since I recently bought my new to me 2015 Searunner. It came with a gen 1 HDS5 that works for now until I get something a bit bigger and maybe newer. I thought these HDS units came with basic bottom charts already on them but I guess not. There is no card in the unit. I would like to have them as I fish the contours for kings like most guys do. I have never had bottom charts before but think it would be a game changer. What is the best way for me to get charts on my HDS? Is there a sim card I can plug in or do I need to do a download? I'm not real tech savvy but can do some stuff.

I'm thinking the navionics car would work but they have three options. I think the Navionics+ would be adequate for what I do. I don't need anything fancy and really only fish Puget Sound. I also fish lakes but the charts are not as important for me on the lakes although I might change my mind if I use them more. Any thoughts?

I'm also hoping to upgrade to an HDS 9 gen 3 or carbon or maybe a 7 and want this card to be interchangeable so I don't have to buy another if possible.

Thanks,

Mark

Also: I took the boat out for the first time in area 9 last Mon and Tues for the opener and it was awesome compared to my old boat! I got limits for every one on board of kings and even one nice coho. I had to work to get them as there were tons of undersize and wilds but got it done.
mnimrod45
Egg
Egg

Name: Mark McKinney
Vessel: 2015 Searunner ST ET 190

Re: Charts for HDS gen 1

Unread postby Brew32 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:58 pm

If you can wait until you are ready to buy your new unit then it will cost you quite a bit less. Most of the new units can be ordered with whatever charts you want. When I ordered mine I got c map on one and navionics on the other to compare and decide what I liked better. For me the navionics sonar charts made a big difference when targeting ling cod and kings. The sonar charts are available with the navionics +. There is also an option to save your own cartography and upload it to navionics so the next upgrade charts are even better.
Brew32
Parr
Parr

Name: Jason
Vessel: 210 Searunner HT ET

Re: Charts for HDS gen 1

Unread postby Spoiled Daddy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:08 am

I also have the Lowrance HDS 5 G1 and use the Navionics Gold in it. For us, it works just fine both in the salt and fresh water.
20 Open Fisherman