Never plot a direct course from the boat basin

Idle chit chat...

Re: Never plot a direct course from the boat basin

Unread postby D'oh » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:42 pm

BrownBear wrote:
D'oh wrote:...visual only, all by charts....

Used correctly with a compass and a watch, you can certainly navigate point A to point B using charts. But charts mark only the fixed points and not all the movable floaty things on the water. I clanked a 108' boat up and over a huge log while running one night on radar and GPS. Lucky only to dent the prop a little without damaging the rudder. Fired up the big gen set and the bigger crab lights and proud to have them.

Another time in the Hewescraft I was running home right at dusk. Shouldn't have been there so late, but I wandered too far, too late. Ever snatch a floating buoy line from a crab pot at 25mph? I did. Good thing it was a dungie pot that lifted off bottom to cushion the blow and not an 850# king crab pot, or things would have moved a couple of notches past sheer excitement. :eyepopping: Dirty stinking recreational crabbers and shrimpers who leave floating buoy lines draped all over the surface.... :finger:

A portable spotlight won't help in fog, but I keep one in each of our boats now, just in case I get stuck out late and have to run home in the darkness. There's just waaaaay too much floaty stuff not on charts or radar these days intent on snaring or denting or holing you.

Dad, told of a story of running into the Hallet ( https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_R ... =159106604 ) at night. All light up, (the boat too). Others of hitting the Booms of logs being towed.

A handheld Spot Light to catch Buoy Reflectors, Silhouettes of shore, Channel Beacons, and 3 High Voltage Transmission Towers, are all we use to use here for Night Travel. Too deep for Dead Heads, Commercial Fishing has ended, but the Net Markers were always close to shore, off of points.

Other boaters, running without lights (likewise) are the biggest threat.
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A
14x23 Suzuki SS Prop (47mph@6100rpm)
D'oh
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor

Name: Bob
Vessel Name: Black Sky
Vessel: 200 Sportsman/140A Zuke

Unread postby ShiverMeTimbers » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:13 pm

From the area I grew up... typical weekender running fast in the fog results in boat loss. This place is massively sharky too, not a good place to be swimming.

boat.fog.jpg

CHATHAM — A commercial fishing boat and a charter boat collided in heavy fog off Monomoy Point Saturday morning, sinking one and heavily damaging the other. Officials say it is remarkable that no one was hurt.

Sometime between 6 and 6:30 a.m., the charter boat Artemis II from Allen Harbor struck the starboard side of the Chatham-based commercial fishing boat Great Pumpkin. The Artemis, a 38-foot Pursuit, ended up on top of the Great Pumpkin, sliding aft and crushing fishing gear before tearing out the commercial boat’s transom and landing on its side in the water.

Seven or eight people ended up in the water, Chatham Harbormaster Stuart Smith said. Most were brought aboard the Great Pumpkin, though another commercial boat in the area may have rescued the remainder, he said. All boaters are accounted for.

The Artemis II sank, and the Great Pumpkin returned to Aunt Lydia’s Cove under its own power.

A photograph provided by the Chatham Harbormaster’s department shows the Artemis on its port side, with an automatically-deployed life raft tethered to it. The photo shows extensive damage to the Great Pumpkin.

The collision happened about three or four miles southeast of Monomoy Point, in the area of Pollock Rip Channel. The location is the site of several other collisions, and is known to be dangerous because of the swift currents and thick fog.

The Great Pumpkin is owned by Jan Margeson. The name of the owner of the Artemis II was not immediately available, nor were the names of any of the passengers.

The collision is under investigation by the U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety Office.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShiverMeTimbers
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor

Name: Woody
Vessel Name: PEIST
Vessel: 240 Pacific Explorer

Unread postby Jim Dandy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Speaking of running without lights at night.....we get these sneaky guys running the Columbia at night without lights. I watch them...or more specifically...I hear them from whichever anchor hole I'm fishing that day....having beat them by hours.

You can hear their motors a mile away at least at night....but your not suppose to notice that I guess... :roll:

Sometimes if their lights are off I'll let them make the long run almost to my hole before I turn on my stern light....signalling that yes the hole is indeed occupodo....sometimes I can hear them cussing.

Tough s-it... :rofl:
2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST
200 hp V6 Yamaha OS
9.9 hp HT Yamaha Kicker
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance TotalScan Transducer
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club
Jim Dandy

Name: Jim
Vessel Name: Jim Dandy
Vessel: 2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST

Unread postby ShiverMeTimbers » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:17 pm

Too funny.

I'm posting this as a followup to my other post to demonstrate why you don't want to fall in the water there.

ShiverMeTimbers
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor

Name: Woody
Vessel Name: PEIST
Vessel: 240 Pacific Explorer

Unread postby Jim Dandy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:23 pm

Remind me never to be the tuna harpoon thrower.
200 hp V6 Yamaha OS
9.9 hp HT Yamaha Kicker
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club
Jim Dandy

Name: Jim
Vessel Name: Jim Dandy
Vessel: 2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST

Unread postby SeaDawg » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:40 pm

That happened a few nights ago on the approach to Everett. Here's a rough rendition of what happened. Red course = Bad........ Green course = good. The report was minor injuries and an expensive lesson learned. Glad to hear that no one was killed.

Everett Approach.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT
2017 Honda BF250 & 9.9 Power Thrust

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY"
SeaDawg
I really need a life!
I really need a life!

Name: Hunter
Vessel Name: Vista Blue
Vessel: 2017 - 220 Ocean Pro

Unread postby Jim Dandy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Wait a tic....I think I saw that one on the Wa. boater safety test...something about when your plotted course intersects dry land you should.....?

Damn this stuff is hard.

Recently one of my favorite evening activities is relaxing on my boat at the Westport boat basin after a day on the salt....boat parked at Float 21 which is right next to the ramps...cold beer in hand...some ling cooking on the camp stove...and watch the boats being launched or recovered....always entertaining..... :rofl:

"When your not pissing off the -ssholes....your an
-sshole."

Ted Nugent
200 hp V6 Yamaha OS
9.9 hp HT Yamaha Kicker
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
LeeLock Anchor System