kshorn1
Egg
Egg
Name: Kelly Horn
Vessel Name: club soda
Vessel: 160 sportsman

SS Prop for hole shot?

Unread post by kshorn1 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:41 pm

I have 160 sportsman with Yamaha F70. Currently, I am running the factory aluminum prop 14x11. I use the boat primarily for crappie and walleye fishing, but sometimes tow the tube for my boys 12 and 13. I am not worried about top end speed as much as improving the hole shot to get up on plane a little quicker. If both boys are back there, it can take a while to get the bow down. Would a stainless steel prop help me? If so, what diameter/pitch would you recommend? I know this might be a Chevy vs Ford question, but it's my first boat and I'm excited to make some improvements through the winter. Thanks in advance.

D'oh
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor
Name: Bob
Vessel Name: Black Sky
Vessel: 200 Sportsman/140A Zuke

Re: SS Prop for hole shot?

Unread post by D'oh » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:36 pm

A different Boat/Motor combo, but my 200 SM with a 140 Zuke, wound up needing 23" pitch prop. My Dealer had to order the 23" SS that was apart of the deal, and let me use a 23" Aluminum while waiting.

The SS was a Big Difference! Came out of the hole much better, didn't ventilate at all in turns, better cruise, but lost 100 rpm and 1 mph WOT.

I highly recommend a SS Prop.
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A
14x23 Suzuki SS Prop (47mph@6100rpm)

kshorn1
Egg
Egg

Unread post by kshorn1 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:12 pm

Thanks! I am loving the boat and I believe it'll last me for many years. Just want to see if I can make it a little
more enjoyable.

Jim Dandy
Name: Jim
Vessel Name: Jim Dandy
Vessel: 2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST

Unread post by Jim Dandy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:38 pm

Need more info, what's your WOT RPM, you need to be 5800-6000 RPM at WOT. I went thru a bunch of different props until I found the right one for my boat, normal operating load, and fisheries.

SS props look pretty on the main going down the highway, but dialing in your props dia and pitch for your motor, load and preferred performance is most important. Cavitation on turns is more of a diameter issue and not prop material issue.
2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha F9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance TotalScan Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club

Ride Eternal Shiny and Chrome...:udaman:

D'oh
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor
Name: Bob
Vessel Name: Black Sky
Vessel: 200 Sportsman/140A Zuke

Unread post by D'oh » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:03 pm

True about the proper pitch and size, Try to get within a couple hundred RPM of Max Rated while you have a typical load.

But SS does not flex as much as Aluminum Props. SS also tend to carry more Cup, and in doing so, Bite the water better in turns or allow lifting the motor on the transom for less drag.

Then Rake (slant) can help to increase Bow Lift, letting the craft ride Higher in the Water for less drag. Again a SS advantage due to it's Stiffness.

Disadvantage, is Beaching, Shallow Ramp damage is not as easily repaired, and may cause further damage. Collision at speed, SS or Aluminum doesn't usually matter
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A
14x23 Suzuki SS Prop (47mph@6100rpm)

Brew32
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: Jason
Vessel: 210 Searunner HT ET

Unread post by Brew32 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:11 pm

I've noticed in my testing that most of the four blade props regardless of material tend to have more stern lift. This will cause your bow to drop faster and tends to give a little better hole shot.

kshorn1
Egg
Egg

Unread post by kshorn1 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:18 pm

I bought the boat with 17 hrs on it. This is my first boat. I performed 20 hr service and am up to 60+ hrs. I believe engine is running better as hours increase, but may be my imagination. Primarily I am fishing local Missouri lakes and use trolling motor a lot. I am able to get 5900+/- rpms with current yamaha aluminum prop. I don't think I've hit 6000, but I've never tried for top speed. It is usually me and my wife, but sometimes we have our 12 and 13 year olds so anywhere between 415-650 lbs in passengers. (I'm 275) Also have a yam 6hp kicker so there's another 60-70 lbs. I understand pitch, and slippage and that's why I was wondering about stainless. I will also explore 4 blade props. As always, I appreciate any feedback or suggestions from those who have already figured out what is giving them best performance. The forum is a great resource for a newbie!

Jim Dandy

Unread post by Jim Dandy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:31 am

Understanding that SS props are overall better then aluminum I still prefer aluminum for my 200XA. I went thru several different props until I found the answer for what I was looking for. I was looking for a prop that would power thru big following seas better then the factory aluminum 14.25/21 3 blade prop I was running, but also safer to run on my other shallow water fisheries like the Columbia R.

On a suggestion of another forum member I started looking at 4 blade props. After a couple of different dia/pitch trys I found a prop you couldn't get me to pry off my main. I now run a 4 blade Nemesis aluminum prop 14/19. This thing digs into big ocean swells like a 4x4, I am very happy with it. 4 blade props have smaller, stronger blades, so less prop flex. My hole shot was never an issue with my V6 200 but I noticed it was even better after I went with the 4 blade. Another thing I noticed, even though my motor pushed my boat with little effort before, it seems to me to be working with even less effort now, even with heavy loads on big ocean. I made several 100 plus mile trips this summer chasing Tuna so I really got a chance to put my rig through its paces.

My boat is dialed in perfect, 48 mph, WOT 6000 RPM.

SS props are superior, and if you can work it out where you can exchange props until you get the right one great, but if your looking for extra stern lift, more low end and quicker hole shot I would definitely take a look at 4 blade props. The Nemesis 4 blade aluminum props are $133 bucks.

I know that a lot of folks that pull tubers run 4 blade props.

Good luck and keep at it until you get it dialed to your liking, don't go cheap as the prop is the most important performance part on the boat, but if you can do the job and save a little bank, why not.
20190829_085609.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha F9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club

Ride Eternal Shiny and Chrome...:udaman:

Nate
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: Nathan Johnson
Vessel: Ocean pro 220

Unread post by Nate » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:35 pm

Need a spare prop. Did your mph change when you went to the four blade?

Jim Dandy

Unread post by Jim Dandy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:14 am

Not the top end with this model with a loaded boat with the 4 blade versus the original 3 blade 14.25X21 not much, maybe 1 mph slower but my boat is heavier now too, my RPM's at certain speeds did change somewhat as the motor was correctly dialed in with this props dia/pitch and extra thrust. You will find that your not going to be worried about top end speed as you are not going to use it much at all....proper RPM operating range is what counts.

My hole shot, quicker on plane, ability to stay on plane with less RPM's, overall handling in rough seas, cornering, ect, all improved when I went to this series of prop design....some by a little, some by quite a bit.

Its important for engine performance and to reduce wear to make sure your motor is operating at WOT in the preferred RPM range of 5800-6000....of which I prefer the top end of that range. That is whats important.

The Nemesis or Spitfire prop designs are not normal 4 blade props, cutting edge designs. Lots of info on them online.

Jim
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha F9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio