Picture posting "How to"

Let's see what you're working on.

Picture posting "How to"

Unread postby SilverFox » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:48 am

This Announcement will expire in 30 days but the same info is in the "Forum News" section where it will remain indefinitely.

I've had several requests lately about picture posting, so at Gary G's suggestion, I decided I should put this up to help members.

Posting pictures in a topic can be done one of two ways, either from a photo hosting service or direct from your computer using the attachment option.

Using the Attachment Option: When you are making a new topic or replying to an existing one just below the box where you type your comments you'll see 3 tabs, Options, Upload Attachments, Poll creation. If you click the Upload Attachment tab you'll see two boxes and a Browse button. Click on the Browse button and locate the file on your computer. It will bring up an "upload file" window where you navigate to where the photo is. Click on the photo you want to upload, and the path to that file will now show up in filename window to the left of the Browse button. Now click on "Add the file" button to upload the picture, if you don't click "Add the file" it will not show up in your post. Now you should see a "Posted Attachment" box directly beneath the text box showing you which file you uploaded. You have the option to place it inline in post or add comments to your uploaded file.

To put the picture in your text, place your cursor where you want the photo to be and then click "Place Inline". Now you should see an attachment comment (if added) with your photo info in it. Want to add more than one photo? Just repeat the upload process to add as many photos as you want.

Using the Image Tag: This is how you add a photo using a hosting service such as Shutterfly, photobucket, etc. Follow the instructions for your hosting service for posting pictures in public forums. I don't use a hosting service, but have my photos all hosted with my service provider. This is how I normally add photos to a post. I open two windows at the same time, one to my pictures and the other for the forum. I select a picture I want to post, highlight the URL, then copy the highlighted URL. It's now in my "clipboard" waiting to be posted somewhere. Across the top of the text box there are several "buttons", find the "Img" (image) button. If you click on it you'll see [ img ][ /img ]. I have deliberately added an extra space between each bracket and the image tags so you can see it, otherwise it would not show in this reply. Notice when you click on the image button your cursor is directly between the two sets of brackets, now simply paste the URL to your picture. It will look like this without the intentional extra spaces:

[ img ]http://home.centurytel.net/fordfan/Miscellaneous/ProV/ProV@RW.jpg[ /img ]

Removing the extra spaces produces this:

The forum is set to allow a max picture size of 1024 pixels wide x 768 pixels high. This keeps photos to a reasonable loading size for all members. This is the pixel size I use for all my pictures. You can post a picture with larger pixel dimensions using the attach option, however, keep in mind they will take longer to upload and longer for members to download when they read your post.

Adding an Avatar: From anywhere on the site, in the top left corner you'll see a small person image and the text "User Control Panel". Click on user control panel. This is where you can manage your account settings to your preference. Click on the "Profile" tab. On the left side you'll see 4 "Edit" options. Click on "Edit Avatar". Much like putting a photo in a topic, you can choose to upload from your computer using the browse option or upload from a hosting service by entering the URL in the link off-site window. Once you've chosen an avatar pic, just click on submit to upload. Max avatar pixel size is 200 x 200. If you upload one from your computer, the software will automatically resize it to display within maximum dimensions.

Hope this helps. 8-)
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA
SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand

Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Re: Picture posting "How to"

Unread postby johnfn66 » Fri May 01, 2015 6:14 pm

Keep getting file is too big. Only sending regular size picture
johnfn66
Egg
Egg

Name: John Nadeau
Vessel Name: Baby Hewie
Vessel: 11'8" Aluminum Boat

Unread postby SilverFox » Sat May 02, 2015 6:34 am

What are the pixel dimensions John? Forum settings limit maximum width to 1024 and height to 768. If your pixel dimensions exceed those, you will get a file too big notice and must resize. Send your picture/s to me via email and I can resize for you. 8-)
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System

Spangle, WA
SilverFox

Unread postby SilverFox » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:54 am

Dan are you using the upload attachment or img tag option?
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System

Spangle, WA
SilverFox

Unread postby SilverFox » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:22 am

You've got a PM Dan.
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System

Spangle, WA
SilverFox

Unread postby Mrwilson » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:10 pm

Can you post photos from your iPad?
I tried to upload from my photo album
It could be me, not a tec person
Mrwilson
Egg
Egg

Name: Dennis
Vessel: Sr 21htet

Unread postby lsfmoose » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:09 pm

Phil is there any way to post more than 5 pictures at a time. Also what is the process for posting a video.

Thanks, Les
26' Pacific Explorer
Twin 250 Yamahas 3.3
Lowrance HDS-7 with Structure Scan
Lowrance HDS-7 Touch
Lowrance 3G Radar
Lowrance Link-8 VHS
Scotty 2106 Down Riggers
Wallas 85DT Stove / Heater
lsfmoose
I really need a life!
I really need a life!