New boat problems & fixes

Let's see what you're working on.

New boat problems & fixes

Unread postby ShiverMeTimbers » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:46 pm

Have anyone noticed the finish on the cleats is kinda rough and starts to fray nylon lines? That's the case on my PE. Any ideas on how to smooth them out? Drill with a sanding end on it?

I'm also crawling around the boat and realizing the dealer (Clemens Marina) didn't clean any of the holes they drilled for electronics. They didn't put any protective sheathing on the wires either, so the wires for my radar and transducer are all set to start chafing on rough cut aluminum. Great. And I had to vacuum up all the aluminum shavings. I was First Mate on a 107' Christiansen a while back, so maybe my standards are different, but this seems like basic stuff.

Also pretty bummed that the batteries were all low on water, plates were showing. I guess they were probably sitting in the boat since it was built in early 2016. You'd think the dealer would check this stuff. I pulled all 3 batteries out and brought them in the garage. I filled them with distilled water, then hooked them up to the Minn Kota 330PC charger I just got. Equalized them and charged them up. Glad I checked them, hope they're OK for a while but will gladly take suggestions for new batteries.

So, anyone looking to buy a new closeout boat, beware some of these issues.

Anything else I might want to look out for?
ShiverMeTimbers
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor

Name: Woody
Vessel Name: PEIST
Vessel: 240 Pacific Explorer

Re: New boat problems & fixes

Unread postby Spoiled Daddy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:48 pm

On our Open Fisherman, only one cleat had issues. I used a dremel tool to smooth out the rough and sharp edges on the weld. Found the same with the bow chock and did the same there.

As far as protecting the wires and leaving shavings all over, Clemens isn’t the only dealer to do so. We ran into the same with our dealer in Coos Bay. I probably spent over 4 hours cleaning up and protecting the wires. We had lots of other dealer caused problems with this boat, but that addresses a couple of your concerns.
20 Open Fisherman
Powered by Yamaha 90/9.9
Lowrance HDS Electronics
Standard Horizon Comms
Scotty 1106 Downriggers

:reeling:
Spoiled Daddy
I really need a life!
I really need a life!

Name: Tom Simpson
Vessel Name: Spoiled Daddy
Vessel: 2012 20' Open Fisherman

Unread postby fishstory » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:56 pm

Which Clemens dealer did you use, send PM if you wish.
2017 24' Ocean Pro,
Honda BF 250,
Yamaha 9.9 HT
GPSMAP 7610xsv
Scotty 1106 Electric Downriggers
Brutus Line Hauler
Lee Lock Anchor System
fishstory
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor

Name: Ray
Vessel Name: Gone Fission
Vessel: 24' Ocean Pro HT
MMSI: 0

Unread postby SilverFox » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:30 am

I tend to prefer giving the dealer the opportunity to make things right when riggers don't do a stellar job. Sounds like a pre-delivery check was either poorly performed or omitted. They should realize it's the little things you mentioned that customers form lifelong opinions on and raise questions about the quality of work on the really big things.

The cleats are aluminum, I'd try some 120 - 180gr sandpaper or emery cloth to smooth any imperfections. If that doesn't work, move to 80gt and smooth sand scratches with 120 then 180. Don't use hardware store sandpaper/emery cloth meant for wood, get the "good stuff" meant for metal from an auto body supply or auto parts store. ;)
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA
SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand

Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread postby ShiverMeTimbers » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks, I'll pick up some good sandpaper today.

As for giving the dealer an opportunity to make it right, I would have to tow the boat 3 hours back to Oregon, then go home, then drive back down, and tow it back. I'd rather spend that time in the driveway fixing it to my own standards, knowing its done correctly. Also, this stuff is so egregious and simple to avoid that I feel it should have been done the first time. They also told me the break in recommendations from Yamaha aren't that important. They won't care if my engines last for 1000 hours or 5000, but if they blow up early, I'm sure they would be willing to sell me new ones!

Other than that, Clemens was straightforward to work with, but kind of rushed. So anyone buying a new boat, be sure to examine the boat carefully and mention things like this before you take final delivery.
Last edited by ShiverMeTimbers on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ShiverMeTimbers
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor

Unread postby Chad D. » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:02 am

SilverFox wrote:I tend to prefer giving the dealer the opportunity to make things right when riggers don't do a stellar job. Sounds like a pre-delivery check was either poorly performed or omitted. They should realize it's the little things you mentioned that customers form lifelong opinions on and raise questions about the quality of work on the really big things.

The cleats are aluminum, I'd try some 120 - 180gr sandpaper or emery cloth to smooth any imperfections. If that doesn't work, move to 80gt and smooth sand scratches with 120 then 180. Don't use hardware store sandpaper/emery cloth meant for wood, get the "good stuff" meant for metal from an auto body supply or auto parts store. ;)

Good advice^^^.

Go meet your sales guy at Clemens. Show him your concerns, and see how they’re dealt with. You likely had a tech that was low on “giveashit” that day, and he performed to that level. No shame in sending back a meal that has been poorly prepared, and there should be no shame in sending back a service job either.
Chad D.
Egg
Egg

Name: Chad
Vessel: Sportsman 180

Unread postby ShiverMeTimbers » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:35 am

Here is the hole in the transom with my transducer wire.

ShiverMeTimbers
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor

Unread postby NovaCX12 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:31 am

I understand how you feel. When I got my boat home it took a couple hours to clean. I had aluminum shavings everywhere. I used a shopvac to get most of the visible stuff. You will be amazed how much accumulates in the bilge. My driveway is angled, so I pull the truck into the garage with boat hooked up. I washed the boat inside and out and let the stuff exit the rear. Once in awhile, I take it to the $5 wash for 20 mins down the street and give it a good cleaning.
16' 190 SeaRunner ET HT
17' Honda BF150 w/ NMEA
Honda Digital Multitach
Lowrance Elite-9 Ti w/ Totalscan
Lowrance Point-1 GPS
Lowrance Link-8
Shakespeare Galaxy 5396 VHF/AIS
NovaCX12
Smolt
Smolt

Name: Richard
Vessel: 2016 190 SeaRunner ET HT

Unread postby SilverFox » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:05 am

ShiverMeTimbers wrote:Thanks, I'll pick up some good sandpaper today.

As for giving the dealer an opportunity to make it right, I would have to tow the boat 3 hours back to Oregon, then go home, then drive back down, and tow it back. I'd rather spend that time in the driveway fixing it to my own standards, knowing its done correctly. Also, this stuff is so egregious and simple to avoid that I feel it should have been done the first time. They also told me the break in recommendations from Yamaha aren't that important. They won't care if my engines last for 1000 hours or 5000, but if they blow up early, I'm sure they would be willing to sell me new ones!

Other than that, Clemens was straightforward to work with, but kind of rushed. So anyone buying a new boat, be sure to examine the boat carefully and mention things like this before you take final delivery.

Wasn't aware your dealer was 3hrs away. I'd take a bunch of pictures and make sure the dealer was aware of your concern and displeasure with the shoddy workmanship by their rigger/s. Only way it might be prevented in the future.

Completely irresponsible for any dealer to tell a customer break in process for new engines isn't that important. They are crucial for long and dependable engine life, to imply otherwise, well - :cussing:

There were a few things (shavings, metal screws, and hose clamps in bilge) I noted after taking delivery of our boat several years ago and made sure my dealer knew about it. Don't know if it made a difference but at least they knew.

I'm like you and would rather do for myself to a standard I know. Good luck with your new boat and we look forward to on water pics. :reeling:
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA
SilverFox

Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread postby fishstory » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:18 pm

When it comes to break-in I would highly suggest following the manufactures recommended procedure. I would not take a chance on the manufacture running an engine history and discovering the engine was not broke in per their recommendations, may lead to warranty issues in the future.
2017 24' Ocean Pro,
Honda BF 250,
Yamaha 9.9 HT
GPSMAP 7610xsv
Scotty 1106 Electric Downriggers
Brutus Line Hauler
Lee Lock Anchor System
fishstory
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor

Name: Ray
Vessel Name: Gone Fission