New boat problems & fixes

Let's see what you're working on.

Re: New boat problems & fixes

Unread postby MacGyver » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:52 am

ShiverMeTimbers wrote:The boat was in the water for 3 weeks plus a handful of days, FWIW. The ABYC Instructor says its underprotected, so I'm going to believe him. You're right that if the windshield wipers are shorted, that could cause quick corrosion. Either way, its a warranty issue.

Thank you for correcting my error when I said the boat was in the water for 10 days instead of over 3 weeks.
MacGyver
Alevin
Alevin

Name: Tom

Unread postby ShiverMeTimbers » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:35 pm

I installed two additional 6"x4"x1/2" Martyr Diver's Dream Mini aluminum anodes on the starboard transom plate and put the boat in the water.

New readings are -1067 mV with engines up, -1008 with engines down and off. I might add one more anode, but at least it in the protected range.

If any forum members are near Gig Harbor and wants to check their boat, I'm happy to help since I bought the equipment already.
ShiverMeTimbers
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor

Name: Woody
Vessel Name: PEIST
Vessel: 240 Pacific Explorer

Unread postby klamathcoho » Tue May 01, 2018 12:17 am

Do you have a transducer mounted on your port tab, or are you using a thru-hull?
2016 Hewes Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225/9.9
klamathcoho
I really need a life!
I really need a life!

Name: Steve

Unread postby ShiverMeTimbers » Tue May 01, 2018 7:40 am

yes, I have a transducer mounted to the starboard tab. I mounted the anode above and to the side of the transducer. It didn't seem to effect the transducer's performance.
ShiverMeTimbers
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor

Unread postby Chaps » Tue May 01, 2018 10:16 pm

Hey Woody, glad to see you got ahold of Kevin and that he had time to check out your boat.

To answer a few of the questions I saw in previous comments in this thread . . . aluminum anodes protect aluminum boats better than zinc anodes because they are alloyed with some other trace metallic elements that cause them to drop further down the galvanic scale thus making them slightly more reactive (protective) than zinc. The other very important reason for using aluminum anodes on your hull is so they match the galvanic specs of the aluminum engine anodes. If you have zinc anodes on the hull and aluminum anodes on the engines the engine anodes will fry because they are trying to protect the whole boat meanwhile the zinc hull anodes will just sit there and do nothing.

Kevin the tech mentioned to you that "an aluminum hull can't suffer from over protection" but he likely also added "by adding too many aluminum anodes" to the statement. There is a general misunderstanding of that subject among boat owners that he covers in his classes. He will state, however, that you can overprotect an aluminum hull if you use magnesium hull anodes on a boat used in salt or brackish water. Bottom line on anodes on aluminum boats is - use aluminum. Zinc is not reactive enough and on boats with non-marine alloy parts underwater like your chine extrusions zinc anodes will not protect those parts particularly if they are glazed or their connection to the hull is poor. So what is so bad about over-protection if you use magnesium anodes? Well for starters the anodes will literally fizz like alka seltzer tablets because of the tremendous flow of electrons from the anodes to the hull and bottom paint will get blown off in chunks.

I tend to agree with a previous statement that the pitting you have experienced on the forward sections of the hull are severe enough that the minor improvement you have seen on your silver chloride half cell measurements by adding more aluminum hull anodes isn't likely going to eliminate the pitting problem. Typical galvanic pitting takes a long while to occur and the damage is very gradual. In your case bad things happened fast which indicates that the corrosion has been induced by an electrical problem like your apparent windshield wiper shorts (stray current corrosion). If positive DC+ power was coming into contact with your boat hull that juice will want to run to earth ground and the quickest path for that is into the seawater in the forward part of the boat where the wipers are located. It might only have been .25 of a volt DC+ making it through the wiper motor short and out the bottom of the boat but its amazing how much damage can occur in a situation like that. And no amount of anodes on the hull will prevent this type of stray current corrosion damage.
Chaps
Hewescraft Forum Sponsor
Hewescraft Forum Sponsor

Name: Bob Selzler
Vessel: 24 LaConner

Unread postby fishstory » Sat May 05, 2018 4:51 pm

Anyone used or have any comments on the ProMariner Corrosion Test Meter linked below?
https://search.defender.com/?expression ... year+meter
2017 24' Ocean Pro,
Honda BF 250,
Yamaha 9.9 HT
GPSMAP 7610xsv
Scotty 1106 Electric Downriggers
Brutus Line Hauler
Lee Lock Anchor System
fishstory
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor

Name: Ray
Vessel Name: Gone Fission
Vessel: 24' Ocean Pro HT
MMSI: 0

Unread postby ShiverMeTimbers » Mon May 07, 2018 7:47 am

For that price I would just get the Fluke 115 from amazon and electrode from boatzincs.com.
ShiverMeTimbers
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor

Unread postby gmanhawaii » Fri May 11, 2018 4:38 pm

You should ask for a print out when you take delivery. Almost every dealer is going to run the engine WOT, otherwise how would they know its propped right? In order to break it in properly this would have to happen after. Read out will tell you how they ran it but not the order.
2017 OP 220 ST ET
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust kicker
Lowrance HDS-9 Carbon 3D Structure scan
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Link 8 VHF
gmanhawaii
Parr
Parr

Name: Gerrell Bradshaw
Vessel Name: Noelani
Vessel: 2017 Hewescraft 220 OP

Unread postby ShiverMeTimbers » Sat May 12, 2018 11:56 am

Hi gman, you mean a CPU printout from the engine? You're right, i should have asked for that. They didn't bother to see if it was propped right, they just told me if there was a problem they would exchange props. Right now I think its propped just about right when I have it loaded down. With two adults, at dog, and kid, with no gear/cargo I'm topping out at 6200rpm and 46mph. Once the boat has 5 adults, bait tank full, ice in fishboxes, gear, etc, it should be about right.

Since you're close, let me know if you want to test your boat using my multimeter and equipment. Happy to help make sure another forum member doesn't have to deal with the things I have.
ShiverMeTimbers
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor

Unread postby gmanhawaii » Sat May 12, 2018 10:00 pm

ShiverMeTimbers wrote:Hi gman, you mean a CPU printout from the engine? You're right, i should have asked for that. They didn't bother to see if it was propped right, they just told me if there was a problem they would exchange props. Right now I think its propped just about right when I have it loaded down. With two adults, at dog, and kid, with no gear/cargo I'm topping out at 6200rpm and 46mph. Once the boat has 5 adults, bait tank full, ice in fishboxes, gear, etc, it should be about right.

Since you're close, let me know if you want to test your boat using my multimeter and equipment. Happy to help make sure another forum member doesn't have to deal with the things I have.

I have a wife that's a nuke marine electrician, but thanks. You are close I work in Gig Harbor a lot, wouldn't mind checking out your boat sometime and saying hello.
2017 OP 220 ST ET
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust kicker
Lowrance HDS-9 Carbon 3D Structure scan
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Link 8 VHF
gmanhawaii
Parr
Parr

Name: Gerrell Bradshaw
Vessel Name: Noelani
Vessel: 2017 Hewescraft 220 OP