2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Bob
Vessel Name: Black Sky
Vessel: 200 Sportsman/140A Zuke

Re: new to me 16'

Unread post by D'oh »

boats-a-features-oar-locks-cc.jpg
Yes, a Rod Holder can be made to use in one, but they are installed in Boats as Oar Lock Sockets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A
14x23 Suzuki SS Prop (47mph@6100rpm)

SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread post by SilverFox »

I'll share another marine wiring supply source I've ordered from many times who also usually ships same day and always free - https://www.genuinedealz.com/
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

Elgavilan
Salmon
Salmon
Name: Mike
Vessel Name: El Gavilan
Vessel: 21' Sea Runner 1996

Unread post by Elgavilan »

D'oh wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Yes, a Rod Holder can be made to use in one, but they are installed in Boats as Oar Lock Sockets.
No that can't be used for the rod holder, notice there are no teeth in that oar lock and it is the wrong size, if you put the rod holder in that oar lock it would just spin around in circles and could not hold the rod out to the side of the boat. IT IS NOT AN OAR LOCK. Jeeze dude all you have to do is look at it to see the teeth at the top that hold the rod holder. I have to laugh at this, I don''t think his boat is a row boat, have you ever seen oar locks on a Hewescraft? How would you even row it?
Last edited by Elgavilan on Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elgavilan
Salmon
Salmon
Name: Mike
Vessel Name: El Gavilan
Vessel: 21' Sea Runner 1996

Unread post by Elgavilan »

Here is a pic with a rod holder and an oar lock side by side. The oar lock is way smaller, the male part of the rod holder will not even come close to going in that. If you tried to use the rod holder as an oar lock the oar fitting would go in, but would be extremely loose in the rod holder fitting.

rod holder.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

coppersmythe
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: v
Vessel: 1990 16' rouge runner

Unread post by coppersmythe »

StreamFixer wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:38 am
coppersmythe wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:31 pm
]Just what i needed to get started ! i never knew that marine wiring was that different . i cannot thank y'all enough ! the atchafalaya swamp is not the place to break down . coppersmythe............................
Many of us in the Northwest have found Greg's Marine Wiring (https://www.gregsmarinewiresupply.com/) to be a good source for materials. They usually get my orders out the same day if I order before noon Pacific time. You may wish to give them a try. Your local wiring supply houses are not likely to carry marine grade wiring and parts.

If you explore around on that Arima site you will find examples of really good boat wiring.

I have read some interesting stories about the Atchjafalaya locks. Perhaps some day I will take the opportunity to visit the area... Is there ever a time when the heat and skeeters are down :biggrin:

Best of luck
StreamFixer
streamfixer , the only time the heat and the "state bird" is down when we get the 3-4 times a year cold front that pushes down this far . 24 degrees and the state almost shuts down :roll: coppersmythe........................

D'oh
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by D'oh »

Elgavilan wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:39 am
D'oh wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:45 pm

No that can't be used for the rod holder, notice there are no teeth in that oar lock and it is the wrong size, if you put the rod holder in that oar lock it would just spin around in circles and could not hold the rod out to the side of the boat. IT IS NOT AN OAR LOCK. Jeeze dude all you have to do is look at it to see the teeth at the top that hold the rod holder. I have to laugh at this, I don''t think his boat is a row boat, have you ever seen oar locks on a Hewescraft? How would you even row it?
The teeth are beneath the plastic bushing.

I am not laughing, they were on my 1967 Thrones, that I grew up with.
354-5820591.jpg
https://barryjaysmarine.com/product/oar-lock-bushings/
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Nathan Johnson
Vessel Name: alysium
Vessel: ‘19 op 220

Unread post by Nate »

Nice
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

coppersmythe
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: v
Vessel: 1990 16' rouge runner

Unread post by coppersmythe »

StreamFixer wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:38 am
coppersmythe wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:31 pm
]Just what i needed to get started ! i never knew that marine wiring was that different . i cannot thank y'all enough ! the atchafalaya swamp is not the place to break down . coppersmythe............................
Many of us in the Northwest have found Greg's Marine Wiring (https://www.gregsmarinewiresupply.com/) to be a good source for materials. They usually get my orders out the same day if I order before noon Pacific time. You may wish to give them a try. Your local wiring supply houses are not likely to carry marine grade wiring and parts.

If you explore around on that Arima site you will find examples of really good boat wiring.

I have read some interesting stories about the Atchjafalaya locks. Perhaps some day I will take the opportunity to visit the area... Is there ever a time when the heat and skeeters are down :biggrin:

Best of luck
StreamFixer
Boat has been on the backburner , ready to get back on it for spring . just got some electrical wiring and connectors in from gregs marine wire supply . thanks for the suggestion . And thanks to the other folks suggestions , and wiring primer , very helpful ! tired of being stuck as a landlubber , ready to hit the water . coppersmythe.............
20200305_102225.jpg

Advent
Alevin
Alevin
Name: Kyle Cuzzort
Vessel: 18' River Runner

Unread post by Advent »

Have you figured out the engine yet?

We have an 18’ RiverRunner with en Evinrude 90 on it that I plan to repower with a 60. My numbers from all the manufacturer tests say a 4 stroke, fuel injected, 60 should be pretty close to the old carbureted 90 with a top speed in the low 30s, which is plenty for me.

I don’t like how much weight is on the stern of my boat, that’s a major reason for the downward repower. I just don’t like how stern-heavy it is with a 90; putting a 60 on there should take about 100 pounds off the stern.

D'oh
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by D'oh »

Advent wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:59 pm
Have you figured out the engine yet?

We have an 18’ RiverRunner with en Evinrude 90 on it that I plan to repower with a 60. My numbers from all the manufacturer tests say a 4 stroke, fuel injected, 60 should be pretty close to the old carbureted 90 with a top speed in the low 30s, which is plenty for me.

I don’t like how much weight is on the stern of my boat, that’s a major reason for the downward repower. I just don’t like how stern-heavy it is with a 90; putting a 60 on there should take about 100 pounds off the stern.
Really 1/3 cut in power will be the same?

I can recall my Dad had a 18' SS StarCraft with a 115 V4 Johnson. A Very combatable package, but the Motor ate a Head Gasket/Piston, We rebuilt it, then the StarCraft Rib Crack issues and 800 Rivets and some Welding later. The boat started to leak again so he traded it for a 16" SS FG StarCraft with the 115 V4 Johnson rigged to it.

That Motor was Way Too Heavy for the boat! When a Ring Land on a Piston broke and the motor pouched again, he traded it on a 90hp 3 cylinder Yamaha (1984). The Johnson was a 1979 (2 pistons in 4 years)

The lighter 90hp was a Perfect Match for the Boat, and performed nearly the same but for real heavy loads. We had that package until a year ago also, without any issues.

All of that being said. V4 OMC motors were Slugs by today's standards. Heavy and lacking HP. (lots of torque). My Uncle, bought the same 16"Starcraft SS as Dad's, but hung his 85hp Mercury on it (replaced his 1964 19' StarCraft Holiday V4 90hp Fridge Sized Johnson). The 85hp Mercury was like a Kicker compared to the 90 Yamaha on the same boats. Even with 1 more cylinder.

Displacement, Displacement, Displacement. If you are spending on a 60hp, Spend the extra on the next bigger Displacement motor. 4 Stroke or not, it might be lighter than the V4 Evinrude, 10-20 lbs heavier than a 60 hp. And make you Much, Much, Happier doing it.
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A