Let's see what you're working on.
StreamFixer
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: Russ Lawrence
Vessel: Sportsman 18

Marine Wiring Basics

Unread post by StreamFixer »

This was prepared and posted for theArima Owners forum. Downloaded more than 1100 times. Perhaps you may find it useful
MARINE DC WIRING 101.pdf
StreamFixer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SeaDawg
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Hunter
Vessel Name: Vista Blue
Vessel: 2017-22 Ocean Pro-HT-ET

Re: Marine Wiring Basics

Unread post by SeaDawg »

Just seems strange to me that every boat forum I belong to indicates that everyone should re-wire their boat. Seems really sad that Arima, Hewes, etc... just cant get it right in the first place. Or maybe they do..... and folks just overthink it and feel that they need to re-do all of it.

Which is it?
2017 Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT
2017 Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
Garmin 7610xsv Cabin, Garmin 942xs Cockpit
18HD Fantom Radar, ICOM VHF, ACR GlobalFix EPIRB
Scotty 1106 DR's, Discovery Bay Pot Puller
ESPAR D4 Diesel Heater

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY"

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Nathan Johnson
Vessel Name: alysium
Vessel: ‘19 op 220

Unread post by Nate »

Thanks streamfixer. Put it in books. Should be a handy reference for any future wiring projects.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

d_smith84
Carcass
Carcass
Name: Dan Smith
Vessel: 20' ET Searunner

Unread post by d_smith84 »

SeaDawg wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:41 pm
Just seems strange to me that every boat forum I belong to indicates that everyone should re-wire their boat. Seems really sad that Arima, Hewes, etc... just cant get it right in the first place. Or maybe they do..... and folks just overthink it and feel that they need to re-do all of it.

Which is it?
It looks to me the link was more of an informational document for those who are interested in basic marine wiring, which most of us have probably done when adding a downrigger, a sonar/gps unit, trolling motor, etc. It’s always good to have reference materials available for those of us who tend to be DIY’er.

Thanks for the info.

Suafoyt
Parr
Parr
Name: L B
Vessel Name: ConLi 2
Vessel: SeaRunner 210 HT ET

Unread post by Suafoyt »

SeaDawg wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:41 pm

Which is it?
I have done this not necessarily because it "needs" to be done, it's just personal preference in my case. My work life was in low voltage wiring, along with a whole lot of DC battery work. Untidy wire bundles and runs just drive me crazy. I have redone in order to make it easier to maintain and do any additions. To me, the last thing I want to be doing is trying to troubleshoot an issue with a 3m swell up my ass in a driving rain on a windy day while on the North end of Vancouver Island.

StreamFixer
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor

The other side of the issue is that nearly all boat trailer manufacturers and most marine dealers save a few bucks on their product sales by using automotive wire when wiring their products and add-ons. That automotive stuff seldom lasts beyond 5 years if anywhere near salt or brackish waters. Maybe 7 or 8 years if fresh water only.

I hope my little effort is found to be useful.

StreamFixer

coppersmythe
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: v
Vessel: 1990 16' rouge runner

Unread post by coppersmythe »

being new to the boating style wiring , the above PDF was very informative . thanks for the info . In my case , a second hand "antique" rouge river runner had a previous owner with some special wiring techniques :eyepopping: I suspect it is not correct .coppersmythe................there is only a bilge pump , running lights , and one windshield wiper
20191016_094316.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StreamFixer
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor

For only 3 electrical items, That is impressive. Sounds like all factory install items too.

Good luck as you figure it all out.

StreamFixer