Water drains into bilge and foam removal ?

Let's see what you're working on.
TAF
Egg
Egg
Name: TAF
Vessel Name: Necessity
Vessel: Searunner 220 HT ET
MMSI: 316027254

Water drains into bilge and foam removal ?

Unread post by TAF »

I just purchased a new to me SR 220 ET HT with a 150 Yamaha and 9.9 kicker, It is a 2006 model.

Seller noted that the foam was removed on both starboard and port areas in the rear portion of the hull behind bulkhead. As it had been sitting I gave it a good wash down. I washed inside and out and expected water to drain into the bilge. When I looked in the rear transom area I noted that there was indeed water in the boat on both sides between the foam filled stringers and the area between the exterior side walls. The water was in the area where the foam had been removed previously. There seems to be no way for it to drain to the main bilge in the center of the boat. Ended up using a shop vacuum to remove it, almost 10 gallons worth. I have attached some pictures of the water noted. Is there a plugged drain in my "new" boat, OR did the removal of the foam allow a place for water to collect with no way to drain to bilge? Any thoughts on how to resolve this? I don't really want to install pumps to remove the water, but don't see a way for it to drain past or through the 2 main stringers? I don't think it would be wise to just drill a hole through them to allow for drainage.

Also with the floor removed I found some cracked welds at the base of the bulk head. They are not a major concern as they are not structural, but they are there. As I am not the original owner I am guessing that I should take to a shop of my choice for repair yes?

As I am new to the forum I must say you all are a great source of information and appreciate everyone's comments and knowledge shared.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

D'oh
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Bob
Vessel Name: Black Sky
Vessel: 200 Sportsman/140A Zuke

Re: Water drains into bilge and foam removal ?

Unread post by D'oh »

I would hope that the Cracks are a part of Hewescraft's Lifetime Hull Warranty, I do know that my last Boat's Manufacturer covered similar Cracks under their 20 year Hull Warranty. And Locally also. But it was arranged by my Selling Dealer.

As for the Foam Removal, I personally wouldn't have, yes it does get water logged over time, but the excess water build up in the outer section is most likely from a plugged drain hole in the girder. It should drain into the center and out the plug or bilge pumped. Chances are some old Foam has plugged the drain holes.

Or, Holes were never installed and cause the soaked foam in the first place. Which is kind of disturbing.
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A
14x23 Suzuki SS Prop (47mph@6100rpm)

SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread post by SilverFox »

Hi TAF and welcome aboard. ;)

Regarding the cracked welds I'd send pictures and hull ID# to Hewescraft Customer Service - info@hewescraft.com

I'd check drain holes as D'oh recommended.
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

Elgavilan
Salmon
Salmon
Name: Mike
Vessel Name: El Gavilan
Vessel: 21' Sea Runner 1996

Unread post by Elgavilan »

It's not to difficult to drill drain holes through the bottom edge of the stringers at the transom, just have to be sure you don't go into the bottom of the hull! There was a thread on here several years ago about that very issue and drilling holes through the box stringers was the solution. I did mine about 6 years ago with no issues.

TAF
Egg
Egg

Unread post by TAF »

I submitted a email to Hewescraft regarding my drainage issue and cracked welds, will provide there response when I get one.

Elgavilan,

Can you provide a picture of your drilled stringers? Did your boat not have any drain holes from the factory? Are they supposed to? If so what dia and where might they be located? Anyone else aware of these drain holes in your boats stringers?

My thought would be that drilling through the stringers would allow water a opportunity to soak the foam inside the stringers causing more issues in the future? I am guessing that water can still contact the foam along the un welded portions of the stringers anyway, but properly located holes would provide the path of least resistance would more then not allow it to drain to the lower portion of the bilge anyway.

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Nathan Johnson
Vessel Name: alysium
Vessel: ‘19 op 220

Unread post by Nate »

‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

TAF
Egg
Egg

Unread post by TAF »

The response I received from Hewescraft. "Thanks for reaching out to us about your new to you SeaRunner. Lets start out with the life time warranty, this is only for the original owner a 2nd owner gets 10yrs from date of the original purchase date. With this boat being purchased in 2005 there is no warranty left on this boat.
We had some contact with the original owner a few years back about the drainage in the area that the foam was removed. We told him that he could drill some weep holes through the box beams into the bilge so it has a way to drain. Normally the foam would allow for water to roll off into the bilge. If there are no weep holes or foam the water will just get trapped in these areas.
With the foam being removed by the previous owner and the boat in use could of caused the welds to let go. I cant really tell where the cracks are at so I’m not too for sure if it is a structural or just a cross brace. If the cracks are just on a cross brace you can have a local shop just clean them up and weld them back together. If it is in a structural area you may need to look for other areas not seen for cracked welds also.
As a company stand point I would highly recommend that some type of flotation be put back into the areas that the original owner removed it from. I know that it is not required by the coast guard in boats over 20’, but it will help with the rigidity of the structure, help with sound deadening, and in worst case could possibly save the lives of you or anyone else in your boat if something bad were to happen."

I responded with a question regarding type of foam and manufacturer of the recommended from to reinstall. Will forward next communication.

FYI cracked welds are located below and above my bulkhead door, not in the area where foam was removed.

Nate, thanks for the thread info, sounds extremely similar.

TAF

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Nathan Johnson
Vessel Name: alysium
Vessel: ‘19 op 220

Unread post by Nate »

Timely response. Well worded. To the point.

Wish more businesses worked like this.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

Elgavilan
Salmon
Salmon
Name: Mike
Vessel Name: El Gavilan
Vessel: 21' Sea Runner 1996

Unread post by Elgavilan »

TAF wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:54 pm
I submitted a email to Hewescraft regarding my drainage issue and cracked welds, will provide there response when I get one.

Elgavilan,

Can you provide a picture of your drilled stringers? Did your boat not have any drain holes from the factory? Are they supposed to? If so what dia and where might they be located? Anyone else aware of these drain holes in your boats stringers?

My thought would be that drilling through the stringers would allow water a opportunity to soak the foam inside the stringers causing more issues in the future? I am guessing that water can still contact the foam along the un welded portions of the stringers anyway, but properly located holes would provide the path of least resistance would more then not allow it to drain to the lower portion of the bilge anyway.
Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the drain holes. There were holes there from the factory, they basically cut off the corners of the stringers to allow for drainage, but the foam they put in blocked the holes. I used a 1.5" hole saw and made much larger drain holes.

Half fast
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Name: Ken
Vessel Name: Na
Vessel: 22op
MMSI: 0

Unread post by Half fast »

I bought a new 2010 OP and decided to peek under the floor boards in the first week of ownership. The plywood had mold growing and there were no drain holes. I fixed the problem by replacing the aft deck with a new self draining aluminum deck. Raised the deck 5 inches. I also build an enclosed stand up head. There are some old photos on here somewhere.