Gotofflucky
Egg
Egg
Name: Bruce
Vessel: Searunner 220

Honda 130 Impeller question?

Unread post by Gotofflucky »

Hi all, new to the forum.
I recently acquired a new to me 220 Searunner, and have been putting my touches on it.
Hull has a Honda BZBE 130 hp main, and at the maiden launch.....water from tell tail stopped while my back was turned. Just a bit of almost steam exiting. So I shut her down an brought it home for a new impeller. Pickup and tubes all appear clear. I replaced the impeller with a complete kit, as the boat was almost entirely used in salt by previous owner.
The old impeller did not look all that bad, next testing will tell if that was the issue.
My Question relates to the impeller and keyway? I replaced impeller as per normal and as it was previously..grease on shaft, keyway, slide impeller onto key way. There is a lip on one end of the impeller, so the keyway can only engage from the open side. Once it was assembled, I’m wondering...could the keyway possibly migrate down the shaft till it makes contact with the wear plate. Has anyone ever seen one of these impellers installed with the closed keyway end down, then the key inserted from above? Seems to me this would prevent any possible contact with the wear plate, and once assembled in the pump housing, nothing is going to move. Any thoughts out there on this? Tnx.

Bobo413
Parr
Parr
Name: Bob Okada
Vessel: 2013 Pro V 200 Hardtop

Re: Honda 130 Impeller question?

Unread post by Bobo413 »

I would be surprised if the key in question wasn’t a Woodruff style key. They’re crescent shaped & fit in a crescent shaped slot in the shaft.
They really cannot drift or migrate once in place.

Gotofflucky
Egg
Egg

No, it’s not a crescent shape, nor square...those are the two I am most familiar with.
This one fits square into impeller then angles to the base which is flat...there is a flat depression on the shaft that this key base sits against. I will try to post a pic tomorrow.
I’m tempted to take the impeller off again just to check if it can go on “upside down”.

SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread post by SilverFox »

Sounds similar to Mercury. Mine has a machined flat on driveshaft for keyway piece before impeller is slid on.
pumpbase.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

Gotofflucky
Egg
Egg

I am sure they are fairly commonly used..what gets me is the design? Is there a top or bottom, or does it matter? Here are a couple of pics showing my old impeller with key as it would sit on shaft....notice the lip on the one side of the impeller, key cannot migrate down if that lip is down...makes me wonder if that was intentional and how it is designed to be installed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SeaDawg
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Hunter
Vessel Name: Vista Blue
Vessel: 2017-22 Ocean Pro-HT-ET

Unread post by SeaDawg »

I would think that the answer is all about rotation. The first pic would need to rotate clockwise and the 2nd pic counter clockwise.
2017 Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT
2017 Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
Garmin 7610xsv Cabin, Garmin 942xs Cockpit
18HD Fantom Radar, ICOM VHF, ACR GlobalFix EPIRB
Scotty 1106 DR's, Discovery Bay Pot Puller
ESPAR D4 Diesel Heater

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY"

SilverFox

Gotofflucky wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:32 am
Is there a top or bottom, or does it matter?
Were the vanes on the new impeller straight or "formed" as shown in the pictures? Straight, right?

What I see in your pictures show is rubber overmold or "flashing" on one side. If the impeller was designed to be installed one way only, I'm sure there would have been a warning in the package indicating which side was to face up. ;)
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

Hardrocks
Carcass
Carcass
Name: Rocky Ennis
Vessel Name: HARDROCKS
Vessel: 26 PE (Custom)

Unread post by Hardrocks »

Last time I installed one it did not matter both sides were the pretty much the same.
That impeller looks like it still should have been pumping water, unless those blades are broke and we can not see the break allowing them to fold over as they spin. I would take some compressed air and blow it up into the pee hole while you have the system open. Air should flow freely no blockage.
v/r
Rocky (HARDROCKS)
USCG Ret CWO4
2015 26 PE custom
with all the goodies

Gotofflucky
Egg
Egg

The vanes on the new impeller were straight. The photos I posted show the old impeller both from the top and bottom, hence the apparent rotation difference..the top photo shows the impeller in a clockwise rotation, as it should be. The photo Silverfox posted may just hold my answer, as the milling on the Merc shaft looks like it would not allow the key to migrate low enough to contact the impeller wear plate.....now only if the Honda is like that?
Hardrocks you are right, when I removed the impeller, I thought it looked ok yet too. So when my parts arrive (week or more where I am located) I’m going to pull the bottom leg off again, swap out the thermostat, and while that is all open..flush out as much crud as I can throughout the whole system! This engine looks fairly clean, but it has been pushing salt for 20 years so it’s time. While I am doing that, I’ll check out the impeller/keyway arrangement a little better and post my observations on this post.
Appreciate all the thoughts and advice given here by everyone, gonna make the maiden launch all the better!

SilverFox

Before I forget again Bruce, welcome aboard. 8-)

The keyway for my Merc looks almost exactly the same as yours, am sure I have an extra in the shop so will post a pic later for reference. Think you're doing the right thing servicing the water pump, especially if you don't have any service records indicating when last done.

The water pump is critical for any outboard and my advice is always to follow the engine manufacturer's recommended replacement interval especially if you don't have a way to monitor engine coolant temperature or pressure. An OEM service manual for your engine, if you can find one, would be well worth having.

Telltale presence can be an indicator of cooling system/water pump condition, or not, as not all outboard cooling systems work the same. On some engines the telltale comes from engine cooling system before the thermostats (telltale should always be present), some come after thermostats (telltale may spit, sputter, or not be present until thermostats open) and some don't come from engine cooling system at all (mine, in fact, does not). You'd need to know how the cooling system functions to know which would apply. ;)
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System