New Owner, Salt Buildup Question

New Owner, Salt Buildup Question

Unread postby fishstory » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:41 pm

New owner, 24' OP also new to extended use in saltwater. If have a question about removing salt buildup in the fish box and bilge. Boat has been in the salt 25 days, moored in salt off and on a total 21 days since August 1st. I wash it down at the first opportunity after removal from the water. I have obviously neglected the in floor fish box and bilge as both have significant salt buildup. Used Salt-Away in an attempt to loosen the crystalized salt in both areas, minimal success. Looking for ideas on how to remove the salt residue. Lesson learned, only moor where fresh water is available for immediate wash down of live well, fish box and bilge. Thanks in advance for advise.
2017 24' Ocean Pro,
Honda BF 250,
Yamaha 9.9 HT
GPSMAP 7610xsv
Scotty 1106 Electric Downriggers
Brutus Line Hauler
Lee Lock Anchor System
fishstory
Egg
Egg

Name: Ray
Vessel Name: na
Vessel: 24' Ocean Pro
MMSI: 0

Re: New Owner, Salt Buildup Question

Unread postby klamathcoho » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:55 pm

Is is crystal deposits, or just gray spotting on the surface that is smooth to the touch?

If it is smooth, it's just natural oxidation of the aluminum. Nothing to worry about. If it is crystaline, it is salt and calcium carbonate build up from evaporated sea water. Fill a spray bottle up with a 50/50 mix of water of vinegar and spray it then let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then scrub and wash off with fresh water. It will soften and disolve mineral deposits.
2016 Hewes Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225/9.9
klamathcoho
I really need a life!
I really need a life!

Name: Steve

Unread postby fishstory » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Crystal deposits in fish box and bilge, thanks for the reply I'll try 50/50 mixture. Have you used Salt-Away? It seems work well on painted surfaces, vinyl and engines just not sure how affective it is on the aluminum.
2017 24' Ocean Pro,
Honda BF 250,
Yamaha 9.9 HT
GPSMAP 7610xsv
Brutus Line Hauler
Lee Lock Anchor System
fishstory
Egg
Egg

Vessel: 24' Ocean Pro
MMSI: 0

Unread postby klamathcoho » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:09 pm

Salt Away and Salt Terminator are both mildly acidic, which counteracts the base in seawater mineral and salt deposits. It's intended to clean the cooling passages inside outboard motors, which are made of aluminum. In my experience, it does help break down salt and mineral deposits, and it is supposed to speed up the formation of aluminum oxide (that dark gray, tough protective coating that forms on aluminum exposed to weather).

Vinegar works on the same principle, but IMO is a little stronger in its effect.
2016 Hewes Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225/9.9
klamathcoho
I really need a life!
I really need a life!

Name: Steve

Unread postby prconnection » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:00 pm

Although I do not Moore my boat I rinse with salt away every time it comes home before going into garage. I have only used soap and water to remove blood from areas and have used bleach and water on my vinyl rear deck a few times....... I can't say anything negative of salt away........ it's been great to me. I do use the hose applicator/dispenser for it.
Last edited by prconnection on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 22 OCEANPRO HT/ET
200 Yamaha I4
9.9 HT Yamaha kicker
Bennet hydrualic tabs
Garmin 7410xsv helm
Garmin 942xvs rear station
Garmin 18xhd radar
Icom IC-M506 vhf with AIS and Nema2000 connectivity
Icom command mic IV rear station
D4 Espar with three defrost vents
Trollmaster Pro II
Transom fuse block upgrade
Shore power inlet and cabin outlet
Dual battery shore power charger
Custom 18 gallon freshwater wash down with bypass
Custom starboard table
Custom interior ceiling mount rod holders
Custom transom mount magma BBQ mount
Custom fish box prawning trays
Pulpit mounted remote golight
prconnection
I really need a life!
I really need a life!

Name: Dan
Vessel Name: Tawnie Marie
Vessel: 2016 220 OceanPro

Unread postby grouzer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 am

Huh. I am in the salt all summer (pull from slip every month to pressure wash bottom and flush motors) with no fresh water wash down at the slip; and have experienced no salt/crystal build up in the floor fish box or bilge.
grouzer
Parr
Parr

Name: john
Vessel: 260 PC

Unread postby fishstory » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:29 pm

How fast it built up and how hard it is get rid of kind of surprised me. As stated I've owned the boat since August 1st and it has been moored in the salt a total of 21 days never more than 8 days in a row without being washed inside and out with fresh water. Tried the suggestions from klamathcoho with minimal results, removed the crystalized buildup but it has the white stain. If I knew how to post pictures I would, Help Please. I am taking the boat in next Wednesday for an additional fueling system vent line, factory service bulletin, and I'll question them about the salt issues.
2017 24' Ocean Pro,
Honda BF 250,
Yamaha 9.9 HT
GPSMAP 7610xsv
Brutus Line Hauler
Lee Lock Anchor System
fishstory
Egg
Egg