beekbob
Parr
Parr
Name: Robert Withrow
Vessel Name: Coug n it
Vessel: 210 Searunner HT ET

Xm Sirius Weather

Unread post by beekbob »

Anyone have any experience with this service? I’m really curious about the water conditions features. I was thinking that if I were running from Sekiu to Swiftsure, for example, I could look ahead at waves, swells height, and period. Would be useful if it was detailed enough to sea rough patches out there so you could avoid them long before you get in them. Anyone have it and willing to share their opinion?
2019 210 Sea Runner HT ET
2020 200 HP Yamaha
2019 9.9 HP Yamaha
Garmin 924xs Plus
Garmin 724xs Plus
Airmar TM150M
Airmar P66
Garmin Fantom 18
Garmin VHF 210
Promariner 12 Charger
Scotty Downriggers
Miller Marine Rail System
Brians Boat Accessories Anchor/Nest
Itroll precision throttle controller
HaweaterHal
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Alan J Wilson
Vessel Name: Lucky 7
Vessel: 2015 Sea Runner190 ET

Re: Xm Sirius Weather

Unread post by HaweaterHal »

I use the windfinder app on my phone but not much good out of cell range.
2015 190 Sea Runner ET
2017 Suzuki DF175TX
2015 Suzuki DF9.9TL
HD Suspension Seats
SHOCKWAVE S5 Marine Suspension seat

Lowrance
HDS9 Carbon and chirp sonar
HDS12 Live
Outboard Pilot
SonicHub Sound System with Iphone Dock
3G Radar
Link 8 VFH

Troll Master kicker speed control

Scotty Downriggers
Scotty crab/ shrimp pot puller

Lectrotab Trim Tabs
Jim Dandy
Name: Jim
Vessel Name: Punisher
Vessel: 2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST

Unread post by Jim Dandy »

Try this one for forecasting, one of many I use before going over the horizon offshore. Has some cool forecasting features if you spend some time learning how to use it.
20210222_230322.png

Forecast wind speed, direction, wave heights, wind waves, wave directions, ect, ect, for any location you plot up to a week out.

Windy.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha F9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance TotalScan Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
NMEA 2000
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
ACR GlobalFix EPIRB
Bennett Bolt Electric Trim Tabs
Bennett OBI9000e Intergrated Helm Control
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club

Ride Eternal Shiny and Chrome...:udaman:
aMonster
Salmon
Salmon
Name: Andrew
Vessel: Searunner 210

Unread post by aMonster »

I believe what Robert is alluding to is realitme meteorology data and forecasting without having a cell or mobile-data signal. When I did that six week trip up the coast of BC last April this was a problem. As we all know you can't really trust wind forecasts more than three days out or less so if your out of communications range for a week or more, all you have left is listening to the rotating CoastGuard weather radio service on VHF, and in many areas I didn't even have that.

Sirius Weather is unique in that it downloads weather data via satellite antenna and displays it out on your multi-function display. Keep in mind that the graphical interface is more akin to a first generation web page from your Netscape Navigator days than a slick looking Windfinder map, but it's updated constantly and provides both wind direction and wave height/spacing on a map you can navigate with overlay capability for both Navs and radar.

Because I am already a subscriber of Sirius XM music, which can also interface with my Raymarine Axiom system, and the fact that you can bundle the weather data and music service, as well as suspend the service for up to 6 months a year for winters, it is something I am considering as well.

I recommend you Youtube up a Webinar for whatever multifunction system you have, Serius XM Weather will have sponsored a one hour walkabout of their system with technicians from all the major Navs companies out there. The one draw back is the added equipment which costs around $600 USD.
Sea Runner 210
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha T9.9XBP
Raymarine Axiom 12
Raymarine Quantum 2
Standard Horizon GX1700 VHF