Big Red
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Chuck Mickelson
Vessel Name: Big Red
Vessel: 2016 Sea Runner 210

Re: Wash down pump failure

Unread post by Big Red »

My washdown switch failed in the first year and was covered by warranty. As time went on, I also had corrosion problems on the connections. Cleaned them up, used the dielectric grease and all was well until this summer in July. Pump wouldn't pump. Motor would run but no output. Had to use buckets to clear the muck off the deck when crabbing. Called Hewes to find out the model of the pump and Kari provided that info and also told me about the shutoff valves just inside the inlet. Didn't know about those! It took two of us to get the damned pump out. Really difficult with short arms, me through the swim deck hole with the valve off and the other guy reaching in under the fish box... Wasn't fun but we got it out. THERE WAS NO STRAINER. Ordered a new pump and IT CAME WITH THE STRAINER. Had to shorten the hose because of the strainer. It actually went back on fairly quickly but it took two of us. Works great now. Kept the old motor and ordered a replacement pump head for $30 so now I have a spare which hopefully I will never have to use.
2016 Sea Runner 210
Hardtop with fish curtain
Yamaha 150 and 9.9
Garmin 741xs

aMonster
Smolt
Smolt
Name: Andrew
Vessel: Searunner 210

Unread post by aMonster »

Are those shutoff valves located just inside the battery area when you take off the doors, almost right in the middle against the floor? I was wondering what those were.
Sea Runner 210
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha T9.9XBP
Raymarine Axiom 12
Raymarine Quantum 2
Standard Horizon GX1700 VHF

Big Red
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by Big Red »

The valves are at the very back of the extended transom. One is for the washdown pump and the other is for the live well pump. They are right below the two access holes in the extended transom. They are ball valves and up is open and horizontal is closed. Glad they put those in because we were replacing the pump while the boat was in the water at the dock. Andrew, you may be thinking of the valve for the macerator pump. One setting allows the floor fish box to flow into the bilge and the other setting directs anything in there to the macerator pump. I have never used that pump or put any fish in there. Good luck. Big Red
2016 Sea Runner 210
Yamaha 150 and 9.9
Garmin 741xs

SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread post by SilverFox »

Yes they are and there should be seacocks for every hull entry below the water line. I have two, one for the livewell pump (which I've never used) and one for the wash down which I use a lot.

Am curious about the strainer being discussed, are these an in-line strainer in addition to the exterior strainer? Our boat has two SS strainers outside the transom just wondering what kind of strainer is being added and whether I need to consider one as well.

Big Red if your washdown pump is a ShurFlo, if/when you replace the pump head do not remove the center screw on the pressure switch, it controls pump pressure, is factory set, and doesn't hold switch in place, only the 4 perimeter screws do. Well, that was the setup with mine, your boat is newer so might have a newer pump too and it may be different.

Might have to get a new pump switch just in case ours fails which, fingers crossed, it hasn't - yet.

Mine looks like the Blue Seas 7929, which is what I believe this one is - $6.25 and free shipping. Great prices from the linked source on marine wire, marine heat shrink, marine terminals/connectors, marine switches, etc, and is my go to source for those items if they stock them. 8-)
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

aMonster
Smolt
Smolt
Name: Andrew
Vessel: Searunner 210

Unread post by aMonster »

I'll take pictures of the valves I'm talking about but I suspect you are right that I'm thinking of the valve for the macerator pump. So grateful to have all this info in advance of running into the same problems that so many others experience, it's far less worrisome in the moment they crop up.
Sea Runner 210
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha T9.9XBP
Raymarine Axiom 12
Raymarine Quantum 2
Standard Horizon GX1700 VHF

Big Red
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by Big Red »

Here is the info on the wash down pump strainer "SHURFLO (255-313) 1/2" Twist-On Pipe Strainer"
The pump is Pentair sureflo 4248-153-E09 which is rated at 4 gpm. Big Red
2016 Sea Runner 210
Yamaha 150 and 9.9
Garmin 741xs

SilverFox
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread post by SilverFox »

Big Red wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:57 pm
Here is the info on the wash down pump strainer "SHURFLO (255-313) 1/2" Twist-On Pipe Strainer"
The pump is Pentair sureflo 4248-153-E09 which is rated at 4 gpm. Big Red
Don't have that strainer on mine, but I also haven't had any issues. Will see if space is available next time I visit the boat. Only problems I've had were "self-induced" by forgetting to run pump dry before winter. :doh:

Mine is the original ProBlaster 3.5gpm model.
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

CptLynne
Egg
Egg
Name: Lynne
Vessel Name: Short Bus
Vessel: Searunner 190

Unread post by CptLynne »

Hewescraft charges $14.95 for a new washdown switch so I ordered one and plugged it in and it works!!! Just call customer service and order from them!

fishstory
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Ray
Vessel: 24' Ocean Pro HT
MMSI: 338224648

Unread post by fishstory »

Big Red wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:40 pm
My washdown switch failed in the first year and was covered by warranty. As time went on, I also had corrosion problems on the connections. Cleaned them up, used the dielectric grease and all was well until this summer in July. Pump wouldn't pump. Motor would run but no output. Had to use buckets to clear the muck off the deck when crabbing. Called Hewes to find out the model of the pump and Kari provided that info and also told me about the shutoff valves just inside the inlet. Didn't know about those! It took two of us to get the damned pump out. Really difficult with short arms, me through the swim deck hole with the valve off and the other guy reaching in under the fish box... Wasn't fun but we got it out. THERE WAS NO STRAINER. Ordered a new pump and IT CAME WITH THE STRAINER. Had to shorten the hose because of the strainer. It actually went back on fairly quickly but it took two of us. Works great now. Kept the old motor and ordered a replacement pump head for $30 so now I have a spare which hopefully I will never have to use.
Had exactly the same experience only replaced the pump solo. Three and half hours later and after removing both batteries the Macerator hoses and numerous scratches on head and arms from pipe clamps it was in and operating properly. The location is definitely a pain in the ass. :cussing:
2017 24' Ocean Pro,
Honda BF 250,
Yamaha 9.9 HT
GPSMAP 7610xsv
Suspension Seats
Scotty 1106 Electric Downriggers
Miller Marine Rail System
Brutus Line Hauler
Lee Lock Anchor System
Worlds Best Deckhand

Seahusky
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Name: Eoin

Unread post by Seahusky »

Another point to note on this topic. When removing and reinstalling pumps be sure to put plenty of TefGel, Lanacote etc on the mounting screws etc. I was cleaning up my boat the other day and I noticed the screws were backed out a little bit on the macerator pump?

I took out the screws and there was NO trace at all of any anti-seize on the screws and there was evidence of corrosion starting to form. I cleaned everything up and applied Lanacote to the mounting screws. It does not take much effort to put some of this on when building boats.
When I was rigging Yamahas back home not one screw or bolt was ever fitted to a boat without an anti-seize compound applied. Never had any seizing up issues afterwards on boats that came in for servicing after we rigged them.