Advantages of Stainless Steel prop?

pgkush
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: Paul
Vessel: Sea Runner 190 ETHT

Advantages of Stainless Steel prop?

Unread post by pgkush » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:25 pm

I am thinking about upgrading to a Stainless Steel prop on the Yamaha F150 that I have on my new Sea Runner 190 ETHT. I am not really having any performance issues with the current aluminum prop, but I have been doing a lot of reading on possible performance benefits that a SS prop provides.

They are not cheap, so was hoping to get some thoughts from those that have upgraded, on whether you think you get improved performance that makes the added cost worthwhile.

My dealer (Westside Marine. Pt Townsend), recommends a Reliance SDS SS prop with 15" pitch. Around $600. Current aluminum prop is 17" pitch. Does that sound right? Any other recommendations?

Thanks
Paul
2019 Sea Runner 190 ETHT
150 Yamaha
9.9 Yamaha
Lowrance HDS 12 Live
Point1-AP
Lowrance Autopilot
Seastar Hydraulic Steering
Scotty 1106 Downriggers
LectroTab Trim Tabs

MacGyver
Smolt
Smolt
Name: Tom

Re: Advantages of Stainless Steel prop?

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:22 pm

I can't help you with prop size, except to say buy it from a shop that will let you exchanged it for difference prop, if it dose not work for you. Also.... if you do decide to go with a s.s. you should also up grade the anodes on the engine and hull.

StreamFixer
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: Russ Lawrence
Vessel: Sportsman 18

Unread post by StreamFixer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:28 pm

Stainless props do not have the 'give' that an aluminum does. This produces a bit more effective power in the water. The downside of that is if a stainless hits rocks, it is more likely to destroy the lower end of your motor while an aluminum prop would absorb the punishment in the prop.

StreamFixer

Jim Dandy
Name: Jim
Vessel Name: Jim Dandy
Vessel: 2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST

Unread post by Jim Dandy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:19 pm

Been down the road a few times on this topic, what they said....plus flex depends on 3 or 4 blade as a 4 blade aluminum has less flex then a 3. I went thru 4 different props and configurations until I finally got the 200XA dialed in with a Nemesis 4 blade aluminum 14x19. I love this prop on the big water, digs into big swells like a 4x4. I know some guys swear by SS, my Uncle put a SDS on his North Rivers Yami 150, was not that impressed, also didn't "soften" his shift as much as advertised.

However, on a recent Tuna run on my boat he raved about my rigs performance on our 100 mile round trip. And at 133 bucks, idk, plus you won't catch me ever running SS on the big river. Good luck.
2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha F9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance TotalScan Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club

Ride Eternal Shiny and Chrome...:udaman:

klamathcoho
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Name: Steve

Unread post by klamathcoho » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:51 pm

Both work fine. Because aluminum flexes, it can't be used to form as aggressive or complex of a shape (in terms of adding rake and cup), which is part of where stainless steel's performance advantage comes in. Because of the flex, stainless tends to work better as horsepower ratings go up.

Either will work just fine. It takes some trial and error to find the right prop, but you can squeeze a little more thrust (or fuel economy, or top speed, or sometimes all 3 at once) out of stainless. The flip side being 3 to 4 times the price.
2016 Hewes Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225/9.9

Seahusky
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Name: Eoin
Vessel Name: Argonaut
Vessel: 2016 Ocean Pro ET/HT

Unread post by Seahusky » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:12 pm

pgkush wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:25 pm
I am thinking about upgrading to a Stainless Steel prop on the Yamaha F150 that I have on my new Sea Runner 190 ETHT. I am not really having any performance issues with the current aluminum prop, but I have been doing a lot of reading on possible performance benefits that a SS prop provides.

They are not cheap, so was hoping to get some thoughts from those that have upgraded, on whether you think you get improved performance that makes the added cost worthwhile.

My dealer (Westside Marine. Pt Townsend), recommends a Reliance SDS SS prop with 15" pitch. Around $600. Current aluminum prop is 17" pitch. Does that sound right? Any other recommendations?

Thanks
Paul
Hi Paul.

Randy put a 15" SS prop on my F200 I-4 when I bought my 220 Ocean Pro from him and it changed everything for me. As what Steve said, the SS prop has no flex so at high RPM's you get every HP out of the engine. Yes they are expensive but so worth it. I also have a 17'' Yamaha Aluminum prop as an emergency back up.

Have you tried e-bay?
2016 Ocean Pro 220 HT/ET.
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha 9.9 HP High Thrust Kicker with prop guard.
Lowrance 3G Broadband Radar.
Lowrance HDS9 Gen 3 at helm.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 3 at 2nd steering station.
Lowrance Link 8 AIS VHF radio.
Lowrance Point 1- GPS antenna.
Scotty 1101 Downriggers.
Scotty Pot puller.
NOCO 2 bank battery charger/maintainer.

SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread post by SilverFox » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:49 am

Have run and like both, but in the end, I really didn't gain anything by going to SS vs the original aluminum fitted by the dealer. They sure look nice though and I'm still sporting an SS prop because of how much it cost. 8-)
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

D'oh
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor
Name: Bob
Vessel Name: Black Sky
Vessel: 200 Sportsman/140A Zuke

Unread post by D'oh » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:55 am

My last boat was always Stern Heavy, Motor, Battery, Oil Tank, Gas Tank were all at the back 2' of the boat. It came with a Factory Black Yamaha SS, and I always had to trim down to keep the bow from proposing. The boat always dragged (the spray started at the console). I switched to an Aftermarket SS with more Cup, and it lifted the back of the boat up, the Spray then started about 3-4' from the transom. A Big difference.

My Hewescraft, when Prepped, was to come with a Shiny Prop as part of the Deal. My Dealer water tested a 19", then a 21" both hit the Rev Limiter. Wound up with a 23" Aluminum which ran 100 RPM below Max. He had to order the SS 23" because they didn't stock them that large for a 140hp. It took 3 weeks to get so I used the Aluminum. It worked pretty good, but would blow out in tight corners, and was sluggish getting on plane.

The SS, doesn't Ventilate in any corner I am willing to take, gets on Plane much like the 2 Stroke it replaced, and less of the Boat rides in the water, the spray moved back nearly 1'. I didn't gain any Top Speed, but Cruise gained about 1 mph, Fuel well it was during Break In period so who knows.

So Hewescrafts are not really boats designed to ride on top of the water like a Bass Boat, but they do have a lot of weight forward. Cupping of SS Props help lift the Stern and ride more level at the same trim angle.

As far as "More Forgiving" Don't hit anything. My boy hit a rock with the Yamaha, the Lower Unit broke, the SS Prop survived. I found a 115 Mariner Lower Unit on a reef, sheered off from the Water Pump down, the Alum prop had a small chip in it from when it landed on the reef. Either way, what type of prop you have is the least of the worries.
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A
14x23 Suzuki SS Prop (47mph@6100rpm)

HaweaterHal
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor
Name: Alan J Wilson
Vessel Name: Lucky 7
Vessel: 2015 Sea Runner190 ET

Unread post by HaweaterHal » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:37 am

When I changed from an aluminum to a SS prop the top end stayed the same but my cursing RPM went down by 150 RPM.

Someone once told me that if an aluminum prop hits a rock it's your problem but if a SS prop hits a rock it's your insurance companies problem.
2015 190 Sea Runner ET
2015 Suzuki DF140ATX
2015 Suzuki DF9.9TL
HD Suspension Seats
SHOCKWAVE S5 Marine Suspension seat

Lowrance
HDS9 Carbon and chirp sonar
HDS9 Gen 2 Touch
Outboard Pilot
SonicHub Sound System with Iphone Dock
3G Radar
Link 8 VFH