Crevice corrosion on paint

Andrey
Egg
Egg
Name: Andrey
Vessel: Pro V 200

Crevice corrosion on paint

Unread post by Andrey »

Hello I currently have a 2011 Pro V and have been noticing bubbles in my paint around the windshield gaskets, washdown pump switch, fuel cap, trailer tie down u bolts, around the snap buttons. and in certain spots without any bolts or openings next to it. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? I wash down thoroughly after each use. Anyone know what the root cause is? I believe it's called crevice corrosion but could also be galvanic corrosion from the stainless steel hardware.

I'm looking into upgrading to a new Ocean Pro 22HT but I am afraid of this happening to the paint again. I've read several other users on different social media sites mention they have the same exact issue with their Hewescraft, even on boats just a year or two old. Is there an issue with the factory paint or does something need to be done?

Just wanted to know if anyone else has or had this issue and what they did to remedy it.

Thank you!

SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Re: Crevice corrosion on paint

Unread post by SilverFox »

Only solution is to remove, treat, and repaint where it exists. FWIW, have none at all on our 2009 ProV but it has also never seen salt.
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

klamathcoho
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Name: Steve

Unread post by klamathcoho »

Saltwater + painted aluminum = crevice corrosion. It is inevitable. It is worse in areas where the paint is perforated for screws or other fasteners, and an insulator (like TefGel) wasn't used on the fastener. A good weeknight/winter project is to buy a $20 tube of Tefgel and remove every stainless fastener, treat the hole, and re-install.

As Silverfox said, the solution is to strip the paint in that area, clean the aluminum well and neutralize any acid pockets, prime with an aluminum etching primer, then re-paint. I have some pockets started on my boat (the most annoying around the pop-rivets used on the glove box lid).

It is why the pure saltwater oriented boat builders skip the paint on their aluminum boats.
2016 Hewes Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225/9.9

RFT
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Ron
Vessel Name: BOAT
Vessel: 2004 Sportsman 18

Unread post by RFT »

Was this a problem with the old Zolatone paint? Seems I've read many posts since they changed (many years ago) about bubbling paint.
2004 Sportsman 18
2004 90hp Honda
2004 8hp Tohatsu Kicker

Garmin Echomap plus 93SV
Troll Master Pro 2