Long Tom
Parr
Parr
Name: Jeff
Vessel Name: Not yet
Vessel: Sea Runner 16'

Re: ProV 200 is just a great fishin’ boat

Unread post by Long Tom »

Just an update. I’ve had her on the ocean a half-dozen times since I posted this thread, chasing the epic coho run off Oregon this year. Just yesterday I saw THREE other ProV’s headed out or in at Newport. One was extended transom, the other two were transom mount like mine.

I try to only go out on calm days but, I mean, did I mention epic coho fishin? Lol. A couple days I went out recently reset the bar for my personal roughest day... the boat handled it superbly.

If someone offered to trade me straight up for a modern-era Sea Runner I suppose I’d do it, but that’s about what it would take. These are very capable craft- even pushing things a bit relative to how they are marketed.

Mine smells very fishy right now. :)
2010 Pro V 200 soft top F/V "Reel Boy"
Yamaha F115
Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust
Baystar steering
Dual batteries, dual bilge pumps
Raw water washdown
Hook9 at the helm, Elite7 midships
Cannon manual ‘riggers
Bilge full of fish blood

1988 16' Sea Runner closed bow F/V "Ol' Red"
Suzuki DT40
Yamaha/Mariner 5HP kicker SOLD
SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread post by SilverFox »

Nice report and confirmation you're comfortable with conditions you're fishing in. 8-)
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

"Yesterday is the past; tomorrow the future. Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."
BVuke
2021 Contributor
2021 Contributor
Name: Brandon
Vessel: 2008 Sportsman 200 Pro V

Unread post by BVuke »

I like reading this. Just purchased a 2008 200 ProV. I almost pulled the trigger on a mint 2019 Fish Rite but 18' and only rigged for power downrigger on one side. Glad I went with the older 20' Hewes, setup for electric d'riggers on both sides. Already appreciating the extra room. It will usually be four of us in the boat.
2008 Sportsman 200 Pro V
2014 Honda 135
2014 Honda 8

All the gear I need.
Long Tom
Parr
Parr

Wonder what the story of the 2014 repower is? Regardless- great for you, you get a 135 Honda! :)

There’s typically just me and a buddy so the dance floor is huge. :)

I just installed used manual Cannon DR’s.... one of my plates had been drilled for Scotty DR’s and I couldn’t stomach adding holes (especially because two sets of holes would be right next to each other, yuck) so I made an adaptor plate out of 1/4” aluminum plate. I haven’t used it much as the coho have been up shallow in the water column, but I did catch one at 90’ on the DR when I did play with it. Then I promptly lost a brand new 12-lb Cannon Flash ball, snubber; all the other clips and rigging, and 88’ of stainless cable. Must’ve fatigued.... I’m going to respool it with braided, just waiting on delivery. Anyway- we will be targeting chinook in the ocean through October, and they are usually deeper, then in the bays as they come in. I think the DR’s will get a lot of use. I can tell I’ll be wishing I had electric ones soon enough but I got a great deal on these from my cousin, who upgraded to electric, so I’ll muddle along somehow. :)

Your boat can handle some sporty water- this I can report. :)
Yamaha F115
Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust
Baystar steering
Raw water washdown
Cannon manual ‘riggers
Bilge full of fish blood

Suzuki DT40
Rangerman
Egg
Egg

Unread post by Rangerman »

Long Tom wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:37 am Just an update. I’ve had her on the ocean a half-dozen times since I posted this thread, chasing the epic coho run off Oregon this year. Just yesterday I saw THREE other ProV’s headed out or in at Newport. One was extended transom, the other two were transom mount like mine.
I've been Coho fishing out of Newport 4 times this year in my ProV. I'm surprised we haven't crossed paths yet.
Long Tom
Parr
Parr

Maybe we have! I’ve seen several others.

I’ll be going out for the non-selective weekend, ocean permitting.

My boat (Reel Boy) has two of those three-tube welded rocket launchers mounted one on each gunnel, pretty far forward, up beside the cabin area. The starboard decal is pretty scratched up from crab pots. If she’s out of the water, barnacle rings below the waterline. Couple ways to spot her. :)
Yamaha F115
Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust
Baystar steering
Raw water washdown
Cannon manual ‘riggers
Bilge full of fish blood

Suzuki DT40
rbadz
Egg
Egg
Name: Steve
Vessel: 260 PE

Unread post by rbadz »

I like this thread :)
Long Tom
Parr
Parr

Took her out 9/10 for non-selective ocean salmon... the ocean was kind and the fishin’ was good. What a year it’s been for salmon off oregon!

Got out there and the kicker showed all signs of being connected to a very low/dead battery, which was weird since that same battery was starting and running everything else just fine and the meter said 14.7V with the main running... turned out the battery cable had rotted somewhere internally. In the process of figuring that out I twisted and massaged the cable enough that it started working again... but a new one is on the way @ $120

Didn’t like being out there with no kicker but the 115 main trolls down to ocean coho speeds just fine.

I don’t know if it’s just luck (favorable swell direction, shape, spacing, etc) or if I’m getting better at driving the boat on the ocean but I’ve been able to hit faster cruise speeds out there the last few times without bellyflopping.
Yamaha F115
Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust
Baystar steering
Raw water washdown
Cannon manual ‘riggers
Bilge full of fish blood

Suzuki DT40