Trim Tab Help needed!

Gotofflucky
Parr
Parr
Name: Bruce
Vessel: 1999 Searunner 220

Trim Tab Help needed!

Unread post by Gotofflucky »

So the boat is a 1999 Searunner 22. I would love to try some trim tabs on her, primarily to minimize the roll, especially in chop. Also think some fuel saving might be captured as well.
The issue I have with current configuration, is that there is not much room back there.
Between the main, trolling kicker, transducer, etc. seems like a lot going on there already.
Boat does not have a pod. Short of adding one, I’m thinking the only way is to extend aluminum tabs outboard? Suggestions? Anyone have any experience with “SmartTab” products?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Re: Trim Tab Help needed!

Unread post by SilverFox »

Standard transom owners are sort of stuck, especially if you've got dual transducer brackets and a kicker, this is the primary reason our ProV doesn't have trim tabs.

You can see pics of a standard transom ProV with factory installed tabs here - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=509
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

"Yesterday is the past; tomorrow the future. Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."
Gotofflucky
Parr
Parr

Thanks Phil, I was kinda worried about that. I really enjoy the boat otherwise…beautiful day today out on the water!
Gotofflucky
Parr
Parr

Ok, so I did some more research and found a product that I was willing to try out…Nauticus “smart tabs”. These are automatic tabs, which use water pressure to compress a nitrogen filled actuator (shock). No power, no hydraulic pump. I chose to purchase the “low profile” tabs, which are stainless steel 6” x 9”, but substituted the 7.5” shocks that come with that kit for 10” standard shocks ( 60lb pressure) in order to avoid the hull support beam weld on the transom of my boat. Had to install somewhat midway between keel and edge of hull, so lost some efficiency there, but was told by the manufacturer that the tabs will still perform. One needs a minimum of 10” distance from the main engine to the tab placement…I went with 12” which gave me a similar distance from my transducer. It is busy back there but all is installed and seems to work, although I have only been out once since install and it was a bit choppy. Next trip out before storage I plan to adjust the tabs for a small permanent list to port. May be a possible option for others with the standard transom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
myboat@i
2021 Contributor
2021 Contributor
Name: Greg
Vessel Name: MAGGIE MUGGINS 2
Vessel: 2011- 200 pro v

Unread post by myboat@i »

I built :reeling: .this small transom my controls no longer worked connecting to the main remote steering and throttle are in the future
Gotofflucky
Parr
Parr

Looks very good. Wish I had the skill and equipment to do something like that. Mirror control between the main and kicker was what pushed me in the direction I took. Be interested to see how how you accomplish that!