CODE READER

CODE READER

Unread postby Ichnusa » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:35 pm

Are code readers available for outboards? :(
I have a Yamaha 300 that shows an engine check alert and would like to see what the problem is before I take it in to the dealer
IchnUSA
Ichnusa
Alevin
Alevin

Name: claude
Vessel Name: IchnUSA
Vessel: Alaskan 260

Re: CODE READER

Unread postby klamathcoho » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:59 am

Do you have the square Yamaha multi-function tach? If so, I believe if you hold the "mode" button down for 10 seconds it will flash a numerical code on the screen for whatever error you have. You might be able to goodle that # and "Yamaha code" and figure out the issue.

How many hours on the motor? My Suzuki on my last boat made a hideous beeping sound @ 20 hours, and again at every 100, with a flashing red engine piston icon on the tach, to remind me it was time to change the oil and filters.
2016 Hewes Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225/9.9
klamathcoho
I really need a life!
I really need a life!

Name: Steve

Unread postby SHOVELH » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:44 am

There is a Yamaha engine diagnostic program for around $700-$800, just don't know what years it will work on. That program is what the Certified dealers use which I believe is also available to consumers if you want to spend the money for it.
SHOVELH
Smolt
Smolt

Name: MIKE GARCIA
Vessel Name: HOOKED UP
Vessel: 2015 HEWES AK 260 HT ET

Unread postby Ichnusa » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Hey Shovelh and Klamathcoho,
Thanks for your comments. I have the round meter on my Yamaha 300LF . I downloaded and read the manual for the “YAMAHA COMMAND LINK MULTIFUNCTION METERS” (round). I think it said that the engine symbol comes on to indicate that it is time to service the engine. It does not seem to be an engine alarm.
I’ll have to check when I had the engine serviced last, but am sure it was not many hours ago. Might have to take it to the dealer anyway.
Still It would be great to have a code reader – BUT NOT FOR $800 - like the one available for cars and pickups.
IchnUSA
Ichnusa
Alevin
Alevin

Unread postby Seahusky » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 pm

Hey Claude.

If you are coming over this way and you don't have time before you head out, you can drop it into Randy At West Side Marine in Port Townsend. He's the Yamaha dealer for this area.
2016 Ocean Pro 220 HT/ET. Yamaha F200XB/ 9.9 HP Kicker.
Seahusky
I really need a life!
I really need a life!

Name: John
Vessel Name: Argonaut
Vessel: 2016 Ocean Pro ET/HT

Unread postby klamathcoho » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:42 am

If it's just the service code (and you have done the service yourself) you can probably clear it with the kill switch button on the throttle binnacle. Most motors have a procedure for using it to clear codes.
2016 Hewes Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225/9.9
klamathcoho
I really need a life!
I really need a life!

Name: Steve

Unread postby Ichnusa » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Seahusky, thanks for the tip. I'll be over in Sequim on the 28th, might have to try Randy before I convince the wife to go to her Majesty's side. Will you go over to Beechy Pt that weekend? I might need to tag along.
IchnUSA
Ichnusa
Alevin
Alevin

Unread postby Seahusky » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Hi Claude.

Went out yesterday NW from Ediz Hook to Vancouver Island and hit 4 coho's. One was 20lbs, the rest were all low teens. Nobody over there except for a few locals. It's such an easy trip and no more combat fishing. They closed Halibut the other day so it's primarily salmon now until the end of the year.
I'm heading to Spokane for the weekend for family stuff but I'll be heading back over again to Vancouver Island next weekend if you are around?

Go see Randy in Port Townsend on your way in or out of the area to get your code diagnosed.
2016 Ocean Pro 220 HT/ET. Yamaha F200XB/ 9.9 HP Kicker.
Seahusky
I really need a life!
I really need a life!

Name: John
Vessel Name: Argonaut
Vessel: 2016 Ocean Pro ET/HT

Return to Electronics