RFT
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Ron
Vessel Name: BOAT
Vessel: 2004 Sportsman 18

To many batteries?

Unread post by RFT »

Years ago when I first got my boat I decided to use 3 batteries. 2 house and one starter. The house batteries have the downriggers direct wired as well as the 12v minkota power drive plus my Garmin. Recently I decided to move my trolling motor battery’s to the front, under dash, and for an experiment I’m using one of my lithium’s from camper for it. Works very well, lasts forever. That being said, I’m pretty sure I can loose one house battery and use one 12v for both downriggers. Doing that will free up space and shed some weight. Space on the sportsman’s is limited and I’d like to add a wash down pump.

Do you think one 12v is sufficient to run both downriggers and power electronics or do I keep two house batteries in there?
The load without the trolling motor is a lot less for sure.
2004 Sportsman 18
2004 90hp Honda
2004 8hp Tohatsu Kicker

Garmin Echomap plus 93SV
Troll Master Pro 2

Jim Dandy
Name: Jim
Vessel Name: Punisher
Vessel: 2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST

Re: To many batteries?

Unread post by Jim Dandy »

So Ron you want to just run a lithium up front strictly for the trolling motor, and one in the back for the house battery with your riggers wired to it. It's nice to have a back up battery, but, depending on the fishery you could probably get away with it. I wouldn't do it offshore, but you mostly run the Columbia....right?

I would definitely get a good quality lithium emergency starter and keep it on the boat if you went that route...also carry a set of jumper cables
so you can jump off your up front battery in a pinch without disconnecting everything. Maybe get a bigger series of battery if your running a 24 series if you go single in back...like a 27 series. As always jmho.
2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha F9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance TotalScan Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
NMEA 2000
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
ACR GlobalFix EPIRB
Bennett Bolt Electric Trim Tabs
Bennett OBI9000e Intergrated Helm Control
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club

Ride Eternal Shiny and Chrome...:udaman:

RFT
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by RFT »

Thanks for your input Jim. Yes, I fish mostly the Columbia and inland lakes, Lake Chelan, Banks Lake, Potholes and Lake Roosevelt.
I agree two is better than one especially for a backup. All my batteries are good and have years left on them so I will leave what’s in there alone. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it right!?!
2004 Sportsman 18
2004 90hp Honda
2004 8hp Tohatsu Kicker

Garmin Echomap plus 93SV
Troll Master Pro 2

Jim Dandy

Did you get out for fall Chinook at all Ron?
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha F9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
NMEA 2000
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
ACR GlobalFix EPIRB
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club

MacGyver
Smolt
Smolt
Name: Tom

Unread post by MacGyver »

You could remove one battery from the circuit and see if there any problems. If there is reconnect the battery and keep fishing.

RFT
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by RFT »

Jim Dandy wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:57 pm
Did you get out for fall Chinook at all Ron?
I did but not really the fall run and not as much as I would've liked becasue the Sockeye fishing was off the charts for us this year so focused on that. Lake Wenatchee was a blast this year for sockeye with limits all but once out of 5 trips! That has got to be one of my favorite fisheries. I fished for Kings in the Columbia at the mouth of the Entiat River and at Chelan Falls. Took home 3 keepable kings and caught a few jacks that went back.

Fishing between boat upgrades and projects has been tough to juggle this year.
2004 Sportsman 18
2004 90hp Honda
2004 8hp Tohatsu Kicker

Garmin Echomap plus 93SV
Troll Master Pro 2

Jim Dandy

I'm glad you got into the Socks, we don't really target them during our early summer big C steelhead fishery, but we catch a lot of them incidentally....they like coonshrimp, scrappy buggers. We do the same thing, with so many fisheries going at once, you just focus on the one's that are really working. Early in the summer I'll fish the river on one day, pull the boat to the coast and do multi species the next. Tough life I know...lol.

Getting ready to pull my 2 front seats and boxes in the next couple weeks and go full meal deal on a set of Wave Pro 2.0 pedestals and new reclining adjustable seats.
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha F9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
NMEA 2000
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
ACR GlobalFix EPIRB
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club

RFT
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by RFT »

I looked at those seat pedestals also but wanted to utilize my boxes so I went with the S5's. Funny thing, 10 years ago I wouldn't of givin it much thought to upgrade to suspension seats. At 56 it makes all the difference in the world for me in shop, especially in a Sportsman. Let us know how you like the new seats and pedestals once you get them installed.
I'm doing another upgrade at the moment. Replacing the old cartridge bilge pump since it didn't sound right last time out, taking out and replacing some saturated foam as well as creating channels to the aft for water drainage, and adding a wash down pump as well as inspecting fuel lines. Getting that rear deck up out of the boat was a pain so I figured I'd do this all at once.
2004 Sportsman 18
2004 90hp Honda
2004 8hp Tohatsu Kicker

Garmin Echomap plus 93SV
Troll Master Pro 2

Jim Dandy

Sounds like you have your hands full on boat project's. I'll be pulling up my rear deck next winter and checking all the fuel lines and wiring and foam.

It's funny on the seats, I was willing to suck it up on the bs horseshoe spring seats until I started making insane tuna runs, especially this year. I mean I was going 25-30 miles up the coast to my dw ling and RF area's from the summer I started using my boat...I thought that was a run. The day the smoke hit the coast last summer it's 1430 in the afternoon, just plugged the boat, and ol Jim who just turned 58 is way offshore, I hit my cursor on my Grays Harbor Waypoint....90.2 miles. You get up the next day after a trip to process a bunch of tuna and you can barley stand up straight at the carking table. Not this season. Hell, one of my partner's is in his 80's, he never complains but I can't imagine how beat up he feels after a run. Surprised I haven't killed the guy.

Good luck with your projects Ron, I think the seats and maybe do some gunnel lights and that's it for me this winter, besides the 100 other routine maint stuff on the boat and gear.
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha F9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
NMEA 2000
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
ACR GlobalFix EPIRB
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club

RFT
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by RFT »

I do Jim have my hands full on projects. Just finished the bilge pump replacement and now am trying to figure out the best placement for the thru-hull wash down intake. Need to do this one right the first time, drilling a hole below water line isn't something you want to do over.. ya know!?!

On the Gunnel lights I did this summer I used Blue Water LED brand. I went with a blue light but wish I did red. There is a reason the Military used red lights. Google it. :)

I bet your fishing partner will be happy with he new seats. :D
2004 Sportsman 18
2004 90hp Honda
2004 8hp Tohatsu Kicker

Garmin Echomap plus 93SV
Troll Master Pro 2