Teacherman
Egg
Egg
Name: Robert D Madigan
Vessel Name: Teacherman 2
Vessel: 190 Sea Runner

Garmin Reactor 40 Auto Pilot

Unread post by Teacherman »

I would like some input on the Garmin Reactor 40 Auto pilot. I have a Garmin 742 xs on a 190 Sea Runner (2017) any reviews or comments how they work woud be greatly appreciated. The reviews on the spead control are questionalbe. My kicker is a 9.9 Honda and I was thinking of just running the Auto Pilot to the kicker. Again any comments or reviews would be helpful, just bought the boat and became a Hewscraft owner.
Limit Chaser
Parr
Parr
Name: Rick
Vessel Name: Limit Chaser
Vessel: 2021 Ocean Pro
MMSI: 0

Re: Garmin Reactor 40 Auto Pilot

Unread post by Limit Chaser »

I have a R40 on my OP 220, previously mounted to my last boat. While I have other issues going on with the boat, I have been able to use it for a little time on the OP. It works fine. Kept a heading into 3 ft waves. Garmin has an issue with the actuator (I think it's called) as a nut on the end will sometime fail if the unit is turned too tight. My experience. I am on my third one. I believe this has been worked out now but not positive.
I bought my unit as soon as it came put as a replacement for the TR 1. R 40 is electric steer and TR 1 is hydraulic. The reason I updated is because Garmin has phased out the TR 1. Only problem with the TR is it is on the older NEMA protocol and hard to get to work with newer electronics. Other than that, it's great. R 40 works perfectly with my Garmin electronics. The throttle is OK, but not as precise as the Troll Master. It is also integrated into the system. No choice, you must use it. A problem I encountered when the actuator broke is no use of the engine for just propulsion because of the integration. They are not separate as if you had a TM control installed. Hope this helps.
Sekiu
2021 Contributor
2021 Contributor
Name: Ted
Vessel: 2021 Searunner 220

Unread post by Sekiu »

I have used mine about 30 times this year and love it. It's still too early to know if there will be problems but at this point I would buy it again.
Slack57
Smolt
Smolt
Name: Rich
Vessel: 2017 210 Searunner

Unread post by Slack57 »

Theres 2 Garmin Reactor autopilots 1 for kickers and 1 for main. I have the one for main with "smart Pump". Main tied to kicker with tie bar so autopilot will steer both motors . Had it since 2017 800+ hrs between main and kicker. No issues, great for running to waypoints or trolling.
Teacherman
Egg
Egg

Thanks for input the real question is do I want it on kicker only or on the 150 honda tied to the 9.9 kicker. My understanding is if I get it on the main then I can put I trol on the kicker and have better speed control, I fish lakers on Superior and Kings on Michigan 1.9 and 2.6 mph. There is a couple thousand dollor difference but after$75,000 thats not realy a game changer.
Sekiu
2021 Contributor
2021 Contributor
Name: Ted
Vessel: 2021 Searunner 220

Unread post by Sekiu »

I have mine on the kicker. I am fishing Kings and Cohos. I am not sure I would ever use it on the main. It would have to be flat calm with good visability . I am too busy dodging logs,sticks etc...
jleveque
Alevin
Alevin
Name: Jon Leveque
Vessel Name: Jon Leveque
Vessel: 18 pro v et

Unread post by jleveque »

So much more steering angle on the kicker then there is on the main. My F115 doesn't turn much. By tying the kicker to the main would be crippling the kicker.
Limit Chaser
Parr
Parr
Name: Rick
Vessel Name: Limit Chaser
Vessel: 2021 Ocean Pro

Unread post by Limit Chaser »

Something to think about. A primary motor autopilot has about a 30 degree turn angle per side and the R40 kicker autopilot has about 45 degree per side. While trolling in slow speed, the kicker has to work back and forth pretty fast to keep the heading steady. Especially if you have a boat that catches the wind. It will vary the angle constantly to keep you straight. The main AP will not work as well, because of the shallower turn radius. You may not notice or care, personal preference. A lot of guys use a kicker with a troll master engine throttle and use their main with a tie bar for steering and are happy with the setup.
Slack57
Smolt
Smolt
Name: Rich
Vessel: 2017 210 Searunner

Unread post by Slack57 »

Pro master 2 kicker speed control on my 9.9 Honda works flawlessly trolling Michigan and Erie.
Garmin Reactor autopilot with "smart Pump" shadow drive you just turn wheel to avoid any object/craft let go of wheel and your back on autopilot, no turning anything on or off, and maintaining watch whether on plane or trolling necessary just ask the folks on I believe the Columbia a few years ago run over by jackass that couldn't see over his dash.
If kicker needs that much extra degree of turn to maintain heading or steering pattern selected there are probably other issues that need solving.
Teacherman
Egg
Egg

Thanks for all the input, it looks like a draw, put A/P on main and tie to the kicker or just put it to kicker?

Tell me if I am not understanding the situation.
1. If it goes to main (and ties to kicker) you lose stearing angle and cripple the kicker, but you get to use A/P on longer trips at higher speeds.
2. If it goes to just kicker you lose shadow drive (manual control instantly) but you get a better overall slow trolling kicker but have no A/P for longer trips.
3. Speed control is important to me it sounds like a independant speed control wired to the kicker is the best option.

Slack57 seems to have the best input for my situation, anybody else have A/P run to main then main ties to kicker and itrol wired to kicker. 150 HP main 9.9 kicker (Honda).