All fishing closed!!

Seahusky
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Name: Eoin

Re: All fishing closed!!

Unread post by Seahusky »

There were boats today fishing off the west side of Protection Island earlier. I later went down to John Wayne Marina and there were boats up in the car park storage area. So it looks like there are folks still able to fish despite the WDFW shutting it down for us.

Seahusky
I really need a life!
I really need a life!

This morning there were 6 boats off Protection Island and it turned out they are Tribal Geoduck fishing according to the WDFW person I spoke to. Seemingly the new fishing restriction does not apply to them and they can fish away. So are they immune to Covid-19?

Shooter
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Mr.Real Name the first
Vessel Name: Out of code
Vessel: 18'sportsman
MMSI: 0

Unread post by Shooter »

We are under a stay at home order from the Governor :doh: too, but we can do any outdoor activity as long as there is under 10 people and keep 6 feet apart.
In the morning me and 2 other buddies are going out to shoot some paper.
I have some lifesized coyote targets we will be shooting at 500 yards...
We will all drive out separately and stand 6 feet apart. :rofl:
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Nathan Johnson
Vessel Name: alysium
Vessel: ‘19 op 220

Unread post by Nate »

“Any outdoor activity”

Must be nice....
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

gmanhawaii
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: Gerrell Bradshaw
Vessel Name: Noelani
Vessel: 2017 Hewescraft 220 OP

Unread post by gmanhawaii »

2017 OP 220 ST ET
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust kicker
Lowrance HDS-9 Carbon 3D Structure scan
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Link 8 AIS VHF
Lowrance point 1 GPS antenna
Scotty 1106s
Brutus pot puller

aMonster
Smolt
Smolt
Name: Andrew
Vessel: Searunner 210

Unread post by aMonster »

As far as I know Canada has not shut down our side of the border... this is ridiculous.
Sea Runner 210
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha T9.9XBP
Raymarine Axiom 12
Raymarine Quantum 2
Standard Horizon GX1700 VHF

gmanhawaii
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor

Our Govenor is an idiot.
2017 OP 220 ST ET
Yamaha F200XB
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Link 8 AIS VHF
Scotty 1106s
Brutus pot puller

ShiverMeTimbers
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Woody
Vessel Name: PEIST
Vessel: 240 Pacific Explorer

Unread post by ShiverMeTimbers »

I'll be the voice supporting this. You guys can get as mad as you want, call me names, etc etc. We, as a society, need to get our collective shit together to shut down this virus by functioning as one unit. When people are using boat launches, they also need to poop, pee, buy gas, food, etc. All those contact points are collection points where the virus can spread. Its not just fishing. Mt Hood is closed... all trails. Even my local mountain bike trails are impossible to keep 6 feet from people passing one another. People need to stay home and stop the spread. I'm sure everyone reading this is smarter than the average person, but the government has to manage for the lowest common denominator.

I'm as upset as anyone... been frothing all winter to head up to Neah Bay or Westport for bottomfish. Been waiting like the rest of you.

If we lift the restrictions and let everyone do what they want, the virus spreads exponentially and hence the body count goes up exponentially as well. What do you think happens if we completely crash the health care system? Anarchy, a complete social breakdown. You don't want the population to lose faith in the safety nets our society provides. So we need to manage this crisis by slowing and stopping the virus spread. The government needs to buy time to respond to this crisis, build more ventilators, test kits, and PPE where needed. It could have been handled differently and preparations could have started 6 weeks earlier, but here we are. Now that we're in it, the course is set and we need to maintain until the storm passes.

Its a great time to finish all those projects on the boat and square away all the gear for when things open up again.
"Not what we have but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance." - John Petit-Senn

gmanhawaii
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor

You're entitled to your opinion. But my problem is the fact that again the tribes are allowed to do business as usual, yet me as a contractor am not allowed to work because I'm not deemed "essential", but employees at Starbucks are? The work on the new hockey area is resuming on Monday, really? How is a hockey arena "essential"?

If its that bad you lock it all down, period! You tell people get 2-3 weeks of supplies, give them a date and shut it down. Not grocery stores, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. still full of people doing business like nothing is happening.

The only people that should be on the streets are first responders and national guard if necessary.

And what really pisses me off about this whole thing is we knew about it on Dec 31st, yet no one on either side of the isle did jack shit until late in February because they were all too busy wasting time and money on that bullshit impeachment process. Pathetic!
2017 OP 220 ST ET
Yamaha F200XB
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Link 8 AIS VHF
Scotty 1106s
Brutus pot puller

Seahusky
I really need a life!
I really need a life!

It's a shame that we cannot fish as recreational fishermen but I do agree in that we are living in some very interesting times. However the thing that gets me is the commercials are allowed to fish and I know, I've been out there and in close proximity to them. They have 2-3 people per boat so it would be interesting to see how they observe the 6' social distance factor.

However both my wife and I will do our bit and work from home. I feel terrible for contractors like Gerrill were he's depended on going out and meeting people to get his work, then we have the tribal fishermen exempt from all this. It's a bit screwed up for sure!

It would be nice to have a boat to get ready for the upcoming season and keep myself occupied at the weekends but that's not possible as it's stuck in limbo at the factory being built.

Regarding our Governor here in WA. I have to say he helped my program out personally when we badly needed funds to develop and update it. He personally came to my program, met me, listened to my needs and before I knew it I had funding to sustain, develop my class and most importantly keep the teaching and learning current. All the students were thrilled to see new equipment arrive and be trained on them. So I'm happy on that front.

We can't have it all unfortunately.