2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Mr.Real Name the first
Vessel Name: Out of code
Vessel: 18'sportsman
MMSI: 0

How about shooting then?

Unread post by Shooter »

How about "Hunting" distance, Long distance Hum.
I JUST got back from shooting what I conciser long distance.
.3 miles, 1500 feet, 500 yards, whatever you want to call it. It's a LONG way.
Longer than I care to walk out and check the target for sure.
I set up a life-size target of a coyote, printed on letter paper, It takes 14 sheets to print it out with feet, tail, and ears.
38 x 44" is the target backer.
To look at it without a scope you say crap that's a LOOONG way.
The wind was blowing, can you get your hands around that? in Montana?
Maybe a 45* ish and like 18 mph. Hard enough to blow my target over just before the first shot.
I Just tested 12,220 gr 8mm rounds with different powders and loads.
I found a match that at 100 the bullets almost all touched, and around 2950 fps according to the book.
I had the 8 zeroed at 3" high at 100 yards which is dead nuts center at point-blank of 240 yards with the 200 gr Barnes up around 3100.
That is what I was shooting, I adjusted the parallax to 500 yards, Put the third hash on the coyote's nose.
Shot 3 times, when we checked that put a left to right string about 5" with less than a 1/2" up or down Center coyote but up at ear level. I was surprised at the drop or lack of it. I know in my heart if I had used the second hash it would have been dead center coyote.
I was going to do it again after the check but my buddy shot his 375 Ruger and he hit the supports and blew the target over and we could not stand it back up.
I was a happy camper. Come to find out he had aimed over the target and off the target into the wind. His bullet dropped the 44" target and them some and the windage was well over the 38" wide target.

All that said:
500 yards is a LOOONG shot with any gun in the wind, in the field.
My 6mm and his 6.5 CM at that range and wind was lucky to hit the 11 1/2 sq foot target backer.
Just exercising some rights is all.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free, the soapbox, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

ShiverMeTimbers
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Woody
Vessel Name: PEIST
Vessel: 240 Pacific Explorer

Re: How about shooting then?

Unread post by ShiverMeTimbers »

500 yards is certainly past my comfort level if I'm hunting. And then factoring in that wind, no way! Pretty cool, I respect the heck out of people who have that knowledge and experience. I generally won't take a shot over 300 yards.

My local gun range has closed because of CV. I might try to head into the forest if its open around here.

Good job getting out and staying sharp!
"Not what we have but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance." - John Petit-Senn

gmanhawaii
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: Gerrell Bradshaw
Vessel Name: Noelani
Vessel: 2017 Hewescraft 220 OP

Unread post by gmanhawaii »

I like long distance shooting, regularly shoot targets out to 1000 yrds. When hunting I like to close the distance, 300 or less. I like to make sure I make a clean ethical 1 shot kill.

I watched a hunting show where the host was using a new scope with built in range finder and calculator. Idiot took a 500 yrd shot and gut shot the animal. It took two follow up shots to finally put the animal down.

Now I'm not saying one shouldn't attempt those kind of shots but you'd better be practicing those and be very proficient. If I can get in bow range of most animals then I see no reason to be making those shots past 300 other than to stroke your ego. To me the perfect distance is 100 yrds since most of us practice and set our sites at that distance.
2017 OP 220 ST ET
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust kicker
Lowrance HDS-9 Carbon 3D Structure scan
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Link 8 AIS VHF
Lowrance point 1 GPS antenna
Scotty 1106s
Brutus pot puller

Shooter
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Mr.Real Name the first
Vessel Name: Out of code
Vessel: 18'sportsman
MMSI: 0

Unread post by Shooter »

YUP! 100%

Where I zero a gun depends on the round.
We reload and tailer most loads to the gun and bullet.
Like my 6mm rem and 243 ai. I have a varmint/coyote load and a different load and bullet for deer/ antelope.
I zero for each when I change over. But both those rounds I zero at 200 yards.
45/70 I only use one bullet and load and zero it at 150 yards.
30/06 and 270 zeroed with big game bullets only and at 200 yards.
My new to me 8mmRM my "Light" loads are 200 gr Barnes and I do a point-blank zero of 240 yards.
My heavy load is a 220 sierra it will be re zeroed at 240 also if I plan on using them.
Everything has a different of impact with different bullets.
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!