2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Bob
Vessel Name: Black Sky
Vessel: 200 Sportsman/140A Zuke

Re: Some boating education in the San Juans

Unread post by D'oh »

20190817_195643.jpg
A Canoe (loaded correctly) can be one of the Safest Vessels out there. Loaded low the CG. makes capsizing or swamping nearly impossible. However, don't expect to get to where you are heading, you are at Mother Natures mercy.

The Biggest Lesson of any waters, is "Respect". Don't assume that you are invincible. Waiting it out is a part of this. I have been in Waves nearly 1/2 OAL of the Boat I was using, Waves higher than the Beam of that boat. Troughs and 90 degree angles are friends, 1/4ing or other are not. Leeward sides are also friends, but at the same time Deeper Waters help also.

As far as Fuel Economy. Yes bigger boats burn more, but not always.

My Cabin is a 25 mile round trip. Summer time I have commuted to and from work many days, Nice weather, Wife's Holidays, and such. My old Crestliner with a 130 Yamaha would take 5 US gallons @ 4000rpm and 36 mph for 1 loop. So many days I would run my Camp Skiff with a 30hp Yamaha. I could make 2 trips on 6 US gallons @ WOT and 28-30 mph. The commute added 50 minutes to my routine, with either boat. Loading at the ramp and unhooking it in the driveway. The New 4 Stroke, now burns about 4 US gallons @ 4000rpm and 30 mph. You know what? It still adds 50 minutes to my commute! And much nicer running in the Nasty in the Hewescraft!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A
14x23 Suzuki SS Prop (47mph@6100rpm)

aMonster
Smolt
Smolt
Name: Andrew
Vessel: Searunner 210

Unread post by aMonster »

It is certainly true that, fully loaded, you could almost step on the gunnel and she'd only list. Also being out there for extended weeks without a spray deck, forecast winds even approaching 20 knots meant an automatic camp day. You learn to understand tides and currents very well tripping by canoe and measure any open crossings carefully, the shore is your friend and you keep it close by.

Now mooring my boat in log ridden tidal estuary, and traveling the gulf islands under power, I watch the surface and my navs like a hawk and the shore is no longer my friend.
33_9914.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sea Runner 210
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha T9.9XBP
Raymarine Axiom 12
Raymarine Quantum 2
Standard Horizon GX1700 VHF

Seahusky
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Name: Eoin

Unread post by Seahusky »

I have fished a few times up in the San Juans in my previous Ocean Pro 220 HT. When I plan a trip I utilize as much of technology as possible. I check tides, weather conditions, moon etc. I have weather apps on my phone that are really accurate.

With all the islands up there the amount of rip tides between them is unreal, then factor in a strong tide and if you don't know what you are doing you could be in trouble before you know it! When I am trolling I tend to troll only when the tide/currents are in my favor so I can get in to good fishing areas near the respective islands. But if anything changes I pull away and get water under my keel asap.
Don't let it scare you. Go up there on fine days and do some mapping. Get used to the islands and know places to pull in to safety if you need to.
Most importantly a good anchor is worth it's weight in gold.

Fish on!