Idle chit chat...
Gotofflucky
Egg
Egg
Name: Bruce
Vessel: Searunner 220

Preventative Maintenance Importance

Unread post by Gotofflucky »

Recently did a post concerning Honda 130 Impeller, and Silver Fox commented on the importance of PM checks, manufacturers recommendations, and shop manuals.
I could not agree more, my boat is 20 years old and new to me..looks fairly clean, seems to have had periodic maintenance completed by a shop, according to the previous owner, who had service records to back up his claim.
It was finally a nice day here today so I pulled the bottom leg off again and opened up the top of the engine to see if I could locate the thermostat cover, as I am planning to flush gunk outa the system and replace the thermostat when parts arrive. The two pics below, show 3 issues I discovered while casually looking and cleaning! Appears to be a bolt missing on a belt tensioner...not to be found anywhere? And other pic shows 2 hose barbs (Center portion of pic) with nothing on them, don’t ask me what they are for....I haven’t yet got my new shop manual which I am looking ordering as soon as I post this.

Anyone else find some “surprises” on your engines when just having a quick boo or clean?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Re: Preventative Maintenance Importance

Unread post by SilverFox »

Nice clean engine shows it was well cared for/serviced!

Sometimes there are fittings that look like they should have a hose attached but are intentionally left open to atmosphere. I cannot say if that's the case with the two in your second pic. Service manual should help with that. ;)
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

Gotofflucky
Egg
Egg

I have a full Honda shop manual on order! Once it arrives I will check out those hose barbs and belt tensioner....in the meantime I put a 6mm bolt in the tensioner, not sure I needed it though, I could not get the tensioner to move with moderate pressure.
So, before my new thermostat arrives next week, I pulled the old one. The previous owner told me he was religious about flushing the motor after salt use, and I believe him, but look at the gunk in there after 20 years use in salt despite flushing with fresh water!
I am now going to flush the whole system with a “de-scaler”. Lots of potential products/recipes on line, but I think I’ll go with vinegar/water/ Dawn dish soap first....seems relatively un-invasive while still helping.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elgavilan
Salmon
Salmon
Name: Mike
Vessel Name: El Gavilan
Vessel: 21' Sea Runner 1996

Unread post by Elgavilan »

While you are in there you should replace the 2 internal zincs as they are probably corroded down to nothing. One on each side in the water jackets and could be tuff to get out.

Gotofflucky
Egg
Egg

Thanks for the tip Elgavilan, I had checked all the external zincs, but did not realize there were two internal...I’ll be getting on that today.