SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

More Roosevelt

Unread post by SilverFox » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:49 am

Back from our week long trip yesterday afternoon and getting caught up. Forecast was for windy conditions Tuesday so we didn't plan to go out and instead spent the day getting settled in and doing some miscellaneous tasks. Anticipating some good fishing I took the opportunity to replace leaders on our leaded line rigs. Turned out the winds went elsewhere and we should have gone fishing.

Wednesday's outing produced two one of which looked to be 3 - 3 1/2lbs that wasn't clipped so it was released from the net and the other decided to make a final run just as I slipped the net in the water but it didn't come back up. :roll:

At least it was a beautiful day, clear sunny and the best company. 8-)
scenery.jpg
Thursday we started early and Debbie's rod was doing the happy dance before I finished getting letting line out on mine. Place mine in the rod holder and within seconds it was doing the happy dance too. A double in less than 5mins! I could tell from the rod bend Debbie was playing a nicer fish so when she declared the fish was 15' out I set my rod in the holder to net hers. Yep, mine swam away to fight another day, but it was worth it to see Debbie's smile.
nicebow.jpg
We had found a pocket that was producing consistently so we stayed there and worked it. Landed a couple other decent bows then Debbie's rod had a vicious take down, drag squealing, but it was gone before she could get the rod out of the holder. Leader pulled out of the leadcore. I'd used the Willis knot for years but had experienced intermittent issues with it pulling from the dacron sheath. When I replaced leader noted I was out of micro ball swivels so I used the Willis knot instead and it failed, 6lb fluorocarbon is mighty thin. Replaced leader, this time with 3 knots, and back to fishing.

The bite seemed to slow in that spot so we trolled on and into a large bay we've had good success with in the past - bad decision on my part. During a turn near the back of the bay Debbie hooked up with another healthy 'bow, I managed to stow both mono rigs before she had it to the boat, but didn't reel in my leaded line rig, which of course ended up wrapped around a rock, and I donated some tackle to the "fishing gods", losing all but 2' of leader. Now I was worried if there would be enough leader to retie (run 50' leaders). Told Debbie to motor us out of the bay and head back to where we were catching earlier while I retied my rig. Surprised to find there was more than 50' left on the spool (this becomes important for Friday). Back to where we started, boated another just before noon and decided to call it a day with 7 nice ones in the cooler.
day'scatch.jpg
Friday's wind forecast was for 9 - 15 gusts to 29 so I planned to service the engines and take care of a few other miscellaneous tasks. The whole time it was dead calm, not even a hint of a breeze. I finished my work, told Debbie to pack a quick lunch we're going fishing! Not the first time the forecast was wrong or was it?

As we loaded into the truck there was a slight breeze picking up, no big deal. We get to the ramp, met neighbors pulling out who'd fished Hawk Creek and done well. Now, Hawk Creek is funny, either you do well there or you don't, I don't so never fish it. We chatted with our neighbors a bit, then splashed the boat only to note the line on a mono rig had been snapped and one of the leadcore rigs was missing the leader. What the heck? Seemed the wind was picking up a bit or was it? Ah, nothing to be concerned about, but clearly picking up. I still had some leader material left so planned to use whatever there was after we got where we were going to fish. As I motored out of the marina I decided Hawk Creek would be better if the winds got ugly, at least they'd be at our back on return.

We get there about 2:30 or so, get set up and trolling with the one intact leadcore rig before dealing with the other two rods. I retie the mono quickly, then work on the leadcore only to find not only was the leader missing, but it had been spooled as well. Crap. There was 120' of leadcore remaining of the original 100yds so I tied on the last of the leader, 20' or so, and we were fishing.

Hawk Creek is sheltered on both sides but has a wide mouth where it meets the main body of Roosevelt. The winds were swirling, and coupled with strong intermittent gusts blowing in from the open, it really made trolling interesting especially since the word was s l o w is the name of the game. I'm a speed troller, rarely ever below 2mph, so trying to make it work at 1 - 1.2mph was a real chore, ok, impossible. We fought the winds for awhile and had picked up one smaller 'bow, then another even smaller I sent back to grow. Debbie suggested we call it a day and I was wishing we hadn't kept the one 'bow at this point. Told her not yet and that I was done with slow trolling, kicked it up to 3mph, and added 4 to the cooler before I decided we need to head for shore.

It was "nautical" by then and had to run bow into the wind to get out to main body and then broadside for the 4 or 5mi to the launch, wipers on the whole way. We'd been out in worse conditions on Roosevelt before, and for a much longer ride to the launch. Found a comfortable speed and motored on. To add insult to injury, when we got to the log boom at entrance of the marina, there were two huge logs between the red and green buoys!! I cautiously went to the right of them and slipped in without issue. Tied off at the dock I looked back at only the second time I've ever seen white caps inside the marina.

So ended our week long fishing trip. :reeling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

pkelly
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor
Name: patrick kelly
Vessel: 2006 18 sportsman

Re: More Roosevelt

Unread post by pkelly » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:07 am

very nice job ..man over on the west side we troll between .8 and 1.5 mph ..in the spring will try 2 to 2.5 mph ..
2006 18 sportsman
yamaha f115
yamaha t8
lowrance hds 7 gen 2
cannon mag 20's
hot hands wash tank
promotion columbia river anchor system
folbe jr rod holders
minn kota ulterra 24 v 60 inch.8o lbs

HOWEQUAP
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor
Name: james belgarde
Vessel Name: HOWEQUAP
Vessel: 22SRET

Unread post by HOWEQUAP » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:43 am

Another good fishing trip Phill…..About that log boom, the logs had done the same thing to me last week and I went to the DNR office and reported it on the way back home...A lot good it did it sounds like....typical response from the DNR ...I reported it as a hazard to navigation but sounds like nothing was done to fix it.

Jim Dandy
Name: Jim
Vessel Name: Jim Dandy
Vessel: 2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST

Unread post by Jim Dandy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:50 am

Must have been great to get away for a week, well done.
2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha F9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance TotalScan Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club

Ride Eternal Shiny and Chrome...:udaman:

SilverFox

Unread post by SilverFox » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:38 pm

It was good to get away and we needed the "break". The 'bow Debbie's hoisting actually weighed 2lbs, 6oz but she has significant tremors and can't hold the scale still so weight changes, not that 2oz changes anything except, yet again, she caught the biggest fish of the trip.

Someday I need to practice using the bow mount when trolling, but that's just "one more thing" I'll need to do and feel it will mess with my fishing mojo. :biggrin:

The log boom was fine when we departed the marina Friday, but confused me on return. My initial fear was possible underwater hazard, and with all the other "patience tests", I didn't need an underwater strike event too. Fortunately, that didn't happen. Looking back after we were in the marina I figured a chain broke and the logs spun around either side of the red buoy.

Forgot to mention the bank anglers fishing the choke point at the marina when we returned Thursday, Howequap knows where I'm talking about. One old coot (I'm being nice) yelled at me "No Wake" "No Wake", I didn't even hear him, Debbie told me he was yelling at me. Damn man, I was 200rpm off idle moving about 1.5mph, a fart in a tub would have had more wake. :rofl:

There was an elderly couple at the dock having battery problems so I tied off on the other side. Told them I'd come back and help soon as I got the boat on the trailer as I was blocking the only usable lane. When I came back down, he'd swapped a trolling motor battery for his main and was just finishing up, but I waited to make sure he was able to start the motor before taking off. They both commented about the bank angler and said I wasn't making a wake. Told them I couldn't have gone any slower if I'd wanted to. Guess there's no pleasing some people. :roll:
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System

Spangle, WA

RFT
2018 Contributor
2018 Contributor
Name: Ron
Vessel Name: BOAT
Vessel: 2004 Sportsman 18

Unread post by RFT » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:34 pm

I've got to get my wife and myself up to Roosevelt soon.
2004 Sportsman 18
2004 90hp Honda
2004 8hp Tohatsu Kicker

Lowrance Elite7X CHIRP
Garmin GPSmap 741
Troll Master Pro 2

SeaDawg
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: Hunter
Vessel Name: Vista Blue
Vessel: 2017-22 Ocean Pro-HT-ET

Unread post by SeaDawg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:25 pm

If you drop a BB in the water..... it will cause a wake. That old coot at the choke point needs to get an education... old school. My choice would be a jet drive. Idle very slowly and quietly till you have him about 20 yards off stern..... then raise the drive and let him have it. Sometimes a good rinsing is the best medicine..!!
2017 Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT
2017 Honda BF250 & 9.9 Power Thrust
Garmin 7610 MFD , 18HD Fantom Radar, ICOM VHF
Scotty 1106 DR's, Discovery Bay Pot Puller
ESPAR D4 Diesel Heater

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY"

SilverFox

Unread post by SilverFox » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:20 am

Hunter the thought crossed my mind but no way I'd have done it, just not how I'm wired.

We sure picked the right week to go, has been in the low to mid teens every morning this week but clear and sunny. Dog sure enjoys laying by on the carpet by the south facing sliding door. 8-)
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System

Spangle, WA

Jim Dandy
Name: Jim
Vessel Name: Jim Dandy
Vessel: 2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST

Unread post by Jim Dandy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:19 pm

I saw the Jet Drive wash from some idiots jet boat knock a guy out of another boat in a hogline on the Chehalis R. at the mouth of the Satsop R. 3 years ago. The guy almost drowned before we were able to run downriver in my sled to save him. Nothing to play around with.
2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha F9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance TotalScan Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
LeeLock Anchor System