Winter PSA

Beeman
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:01 am
Name: David Pearson
Vessel: Hewescraft sportsman 180

Winter PSA

Unread post by Beeman » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:19 pm

I was just going through all the paperwork and brochures you get with your new boat.
One section that was interesting to me is that the liquid solution they put on roads in the winter is highly corrosive to Aluminum hulls.
They recommend that you dont drive on this stuff "Ever". They say that rinsing down may not be sufficient and that hull pitting can occur in as little as 30 minutes.
Based on this my boat is staying in the garage as long as that stuff is being applied to the roads.

Seahusky
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Posts: 625
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:16 pm
Name: Eoin
Vessel Name: Argonaut
Vessel: 2016 Ocean Pro ET/HT
Location: Sequim, Washington.

Re: Winter PSA

Unread post by Seahusky » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:17 pm

Don't worry about it and just go fishing. I'll be winter Balckmouth fishing shortly and as long as there's no snow on the roads I will be fishing.
2016 Ocean Pro 220 HT/ET.
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha 9.9 HP High Thrust Kicker with prop guard.
Lowrance 3G Broadband Radar.
Lowrance HDS9 Gen 3 at helm.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 3 at 2nd steering station.
Lowrance Link 8 AIS VHF radio.
Lowrance Point 1- GPS antenna.
Scotty 1101 Downriggers.
Scotty Pot puller.
NOCO 2 bank battery charger/maintainer.

User avatar
rwiley
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:08 pm
Name: Richard Wiley
Vessel: SeaRunner 190 HT
Location: Spokane Wa

Re: Winter PSA

Unread post by rwiley » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:45 pm

New aluminum that has not oxidized is especially susceptible to pitting when DOT has freshly treated the roads with de-icer. I have had the side rails on my new boat end up with some pitting after one trip on a treated road in eastern Washington. Rinsing it off isn't really an option because the damage will be done. After a year or two the aluminum oxidizes which seems to provide some protection. Shark Hide coating is the only thing I know of that will protect raw aluminum. If you wait for the dry stretches during winter you can get out without taking the risk.

DOT has to replace the entire wiring harness in the snow plow trucks 2 to 3 times during the life of a truck due to the corrosion caused by these chemicals. I wish they would go back to throwing down some sand and call it good.
2018 Hewescraft SeaRunner 190 HT
Yamaha 150 VMax
Yamaha 6YC Gauge
Yamaha 9.9
Garmin TR-1 Gold, Trolling Autopilot
Lowrance Gen 3, 9 inch
Airmar TM185C - HW
Cisco Electric Planer Board Reels
Scotty 1106b Downriggers
Icom 424G VHF

User avatar
SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Posts: 3397
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:53 am
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901
Location: Spangle, WA

Re: Winter PSA

Unread post by SilverFox » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:58 am

rwiley wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:45 pm
New aluminum that has not oxidized is especially susceptible to pitting when DOT has freshly treated the roads with de-icer. I have had the side rails on my new boat end up with some pitting after one trip on a treated road in eastern Washington. Rinsing it off isn't really an option because the damage will be done. After a year or two the aluminum oxidizes which seems to provide some protection. Shark Hide coating is the only thing I know of that will protect raw aluminum. If you wait for the dry stretches during winter you can get out without taking the risk.

DOT has to replace the entire wiring harness in the snow plow trucks 2 to 3 times during the life of a truck due to the corrosion caused by these chemicals. I wish they would go back to throwing down some sand and call it good.
^^^^
Certainly can go without, but your boat will look like it has the measles where the natural oxidation is removed by deicers, which they do very well. Happened to our Sportsman and is why, when we upgraded to the ProV, maiden voyage was delayed until after I put on a couple coats of Sharkhide.
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount



Spangle, WA

Bobo413
Egg
Egg
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:00 pm
Name: Bob Okada
Vessel: 2013 Pro V 200 Hardtop

Re: Winter PSA

Unread post by Bobo413 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:33 am

It really is maddening to try to keep things looking nice & choose , twiddling your thumbs or winter Kokoanee fish 😂
Been wanting to hit Merwin for Kokoanee & will hold off for awhile now .

49north
Egg
Egg
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:50 am
Name: Ted
Vessel: Ocean Pro 220

Re: Winter PSA

Unread post by 49north » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:53 pm

I am a new member and purchased a 2019 Ocean Pro 220 HT in May. I have been intending to write an introductory post, but we have been too busy enjoying the boat!

I saw this post and it caught my attention because we will be using our boat in the winter. I plan to make our winter trips either after a good rain or when the roads are dry. I bought some Salt Away to keep on hand just in case I need it. I also have an undercarriage washer for my pressure washer.

Just wondering, has anyone used Salt Away to wash away the de-icing solution?

User avatar
SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Posts: 3397
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:53 am
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901
Location: Spangle, WA

Re: Winter PSA

Unread post by SilverFox » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:33 am

Welcome aboard Ted!

Good question, it would work if the deicing solutions were just salt but they also contain chemicals that react with unprotected aluminum and will remove natural oxidation on contact.
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount



Spangle, WA

49north
Egg
Egg
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:50 am
Name: Ted
Vessel: Ocean Pro 220

Re: Winter PSA

Unread post by 49north » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:16 am

SilverFox wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:33 am
Welcome aboard Ted!

Good question, it would work if the deicing solutions were just salt but they also contain chemicals that react with unprotected aluminum and will remove natural oxidation on contact.
Thanks!

My first defense will be to avoid the stuff. The Salt Away website and other articles seem to indicate that it will remove road brine. I guess a good pressure wash and some Salt Away is about all you can do if you encounter it.

Beeman
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:01 am
Name: David Pearson
Vessel: Hewescraft sportsman 180

Re: Winter PSA

Unread post by Beeman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:15 am

49north wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:53 pm
I am a new member and purchased a 2019 Ocean Pro 220 HT in May. I have been intending to write an introductory post, but we have been too busy enjoying the boat!

I saw this post and it caught my attention because we will be using our boat in the winter. I plan to make our winter trips either after a good rain or when the roads are dry. I bought some Salt Away to keep on hand just in case I need it. I also have an undercarriage washer for my pressure washer.

Just wondering, has anyone used Salt Away to wash away the de-icing solution?
Hewes manual says pitting can happen with as little as 30 minutes exposure to the deicer solution, so you would have to be real quick with the washdown

Seahusky
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Posts: 625
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:16 pm
Name: Eoin
Vessel Name: Argonaut
Vessel: 2016 Ocean Pro ET/HT
Location: Sequim, Washington.

Re: Winter PSA

Unread post by Seahusky » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:47 pm

Beeman wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:15 am
49north wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:53 pm
I am a new member and purchased a 2019 Ocean Pro 220 HT in May. I have been intending to write an introductory post, but we have been too busy enjoying the boat!

I saw this post and it caught my attention because we will be using our boat in the winter. I plan to make our winter trips either after a good rain or when the roads are dry. I bought some Salt Away to keep on hand just in case I need it. I also have an undercarriage washer for my pressure washer.

Just wondering, has anyone used Salt Away to wash away the de-icing solution?
Hewes manual says pitting can happen with as little as 30 minutes exposure to the deicer solution, so you would have to be real quick with the washdown
That is exactly the reason why I just fish on and not worry about it! I pressure wash when I get home with Salt Away etc. If I was that worried about what's on the road I'd never go fishing. Won't lose any sleep over it to be honest!
2016 Ocean Pro 220 HT/ET.
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha 9.9 HP High Thrust Kicker with prop guard.
Lowrance 3G Broadband Radar.
Lowrance HDS9 Gen 3 at helm.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 3 at 2nd steering station.
Lowrance Link 8 AIS VHF radio.
Lowrance Point 1- GPS antenna.
Scotty 1101 Downriggers.
Scotty Pot puller.
NOCO 2 bank battery charger/maintainer.

Post Reply