Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Nathan Johnson
Vessel Name: alysium
Vessel: ‘19 op 220

Crab/crawdad floats

Unread post by Nate »

Apparently in the state of wershington you have to use red/white buoys/floats for your traps. I have always recycled and used jugs that lasted for years. Since that isn’t allowed I was wondering if anyone knew of a good deal on these. I’ve checked amazon and they seem expensive. Thanks.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Re: Crab/crawdad floats

Unread post by Nate »

Was thinking about those pool noodles. Cut out chunks. Just need to paint the top half red. Anyone know how to paint that?
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

SeaDawg
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Hunter
Vessel Name: Vista Blue
Vessel: 2017-22 Ocean Pro-HT-ET

Unread post by SeaDawg »

The way I read the regs is that you can use absolutely anything you want for a float as long as it includes a red and white float with the proper ID...
2017 Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT
2017 Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
Garmin 7610xsv Cabin, Garmin 942xs Cockpit
18HD Fantom Radar, ICOM VHF, ACR GlobalFix EPIRB
Scotty 1106 DR's, Discovery Bay Pot Puller
ESPAR D4 Diesel Heater

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY"

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by Nate »

Thanks SeaDawg.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread post by SilverFox »

There are no specified buoy requirement for crawdads, just crab and shrimp. Crayfish rules are found on pg 130 of the current pamphlet and gear rules on pg 135. There are specific gear rules for crab and shrimp, but not for crayfish beyond the general info quoted below. The bold text is yellow highlighted in the regs pamphlet that doesn't show when copying.
Buoys must be constructed of durable material (no bleach, antifreeze, detergent bottles, paint cans, etc.) and must be visible on the surface at all times except during extreme tidal conditions. Personal flags and staff, if attached to buoys, can be of any color. Buoy lines must be weighted
sufficiently to prevent them from floating on the surface.

All crab, shrimp, and crawfish pots must be equipped with a biodegradable device (rot/escape cord) and shall include one or more of the following:
(1) securing the pot lid hook or tie down strap with a single loop of cord; or
(2) sewing a 3" by 5" escape panel in the upper half of pot closed with cord; or
(3) attaching the pot lid or one pot side (serving as a pot lid) with no more than three single loops of cord.

Cord used must be untreated 100% cotton or other natural fiber no larger than thread size 120 (⅛"). This cord, when attached as described above,
must be able to rot away and allow crab, shrimp, crawfish and fish to escape freely if the pot is lost. A derelict crab pot without proper escape cord can attract and kill crabs for years after the pot has been lost.
The specific sections covering crab and shrimp gear state crab buoys must be half red/white, shrimp buoys must be yellow. No separate section for crayfish gear requirements.

Ordered custom made crayfish traps late last year and was surprised at how little gear information is in the regs.
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

SeaDawg
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Hunter
Vessel Name: Vista Blue
Vessel: 2017-22 Ocean Pro-HT-ET

Unread post by SeaDawg »

So in reading the regs, sounds like the concern is really for the contents of the jugs so water jugs would be OK as long as they are painted the required red and white.

But really..... in thinking more about this..... the actual red and white high density foam floats they sell are really not very expensive so just better to pony up and buy a few and be happy...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Danielson-Cr ... gJrtvD_BwE
2017 Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT
2017 Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
Garmin 7610xsv Cabin, Garmin 942xs Cockpit
18HD Fantom Radar, ICOM VHF, ACR GlobalFix EPIRB
Scotty 1106 DR's, Discovery Bay Pot Puller
ESPAR D4 Diesel Heater

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY"

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by Nate »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I had to re-read the regs when I got home today. I think you are correct silverfox regarding the red/white buoys being specific to crab. Doesn’t say anything about crawdad floats. Must have got that in my head somehow. However in the general gear rules it states “buoys must be constructed of durable material. It is unlawful to use bleach, antifreeze, or detergent bottles, paint cans or any other container.” OR ANY OTHER CONTAINER!!! I think that rules out even water jugs seadawg. Thanks for the link. I think that’s cheaper than what I was able to find on amazon. For crab I don’t have a problem spending 10$ on buoys. Got 2 now and will probably get a couple more if I ever get more than a couple days off work. I used to have and run about 20 crawdad traps and recycling jugs just made sense. Since this is “unlawful” in Washington I will keep exploring other options. Dropping 200$ on styrofoam seems silly. If I can’t figure anything else out I may have to. Them lil guys is pretty tasty. Oh well, I’ve got 5 months till it opens anyway. Custom made crawdad traps? Interesting. If you’ve got a picture I’d love to see it. Thanks again.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

SilverFox

I saw a white boat fender used as a trap float before crawdad season closed last fall. Don't know what WDFW definition of durable would be, but a decent used fender would, IMO, be acceptable.

Traps are at our lake place but this is where I ordered from - http://terrybullard.com/CrawfishMain.html

I ordered my traps late and didn't get them until almost end of October. I'll be ready when season reopens May 4th. 8-)
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by Nate »

Thanks for the link. Had some time today and went through the whole site. Look like some quality traps. Which ones did you go with? I see they have floats for 3.50$ which is the best I’ve seen. Some interesting theory’s on there. Something about the electro-magnetic field or something. Gonna have to go pull out my gear and re-assess what I’ve got. Looks like I better put an order in sooner rather than later. Sure enjoy this forum. If you check my browser history it’s almost all here or links from here. Thanks again.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

SilverFox

Nate I got a couple Sportsman Plus traps with bait box and two extra bait boxes so I could refresh bait immediately.
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System