Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Nathan Johnson
Vessel Name: alysium
Vessel: ‘19 op 220

Trim/tilt sounds funny

Unread post by Nate »

So I went to raise my F200xb up this morning and it sounded funny. About a 1/4 of the way up the trim cylinders it went pop, shook the boat, and continued on up but slower and still sounding funny. Went fishing anyway. Thought maybe it was just cold. Didn’t use it much. Sounded funny and slow. Got home and raised it up and set it down on the tilt support lever and had oil come out the top of both trim cylinders. Probably get a hold of a Yamaha mechanic tomorrow. Thought I’d check here and see if anyone had heard of or seen this happen before. It had 14.7 hours on it. Thanks.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

Jim Dandy
Name: Jim
Vessel Name: Jim Dandy
Vessel: 2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST

Re: Trim/tilt sounds funny

Unread post by Jim Dandy »

Are you sure both piston sub-assemblies are leaking, and not the main piston. Odd that both sub-assembly seals would fail at the same time like that.
2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha F9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance TotalScan Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club

Ride Eternal Shiny and Chrome...:udaman:

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by Nate »

Yep. Just tried again to show my wife. As soon as it sets down on the tilt support lever oil comes up out the top of both trim cylinders. The tilt looks fine.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

Jim Dandy

Sounds like both seals went then, you don't see any signs of lower unit damage, is the motor binding at all as you raise/lower.....any shiny metal around the main engine supports.

You know not to leave the motor on that manuel support lever when you move the boat, only for working on the motor.

Do you use any kind of transom saver/support when you tow the boat with the main raised?

None of this is to insult your intelligence btw, just trouble shooting, and I don't know what you know or don't know Nate.
20150316_072848.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha F9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by Nate »

Thanks for the feedback jimdandy. Congratulations, grandfathers can be very influential. If it wasn’t for mine, I wouldn’t be on this forum today. I remember him letting me put the boat on the trailer when I was like 10. No lower unit damage, no binding, no metal shavings. I don’t think I have ever used the tilt support lever for anything, ever. Just thought I’d set it down on it so I could look it over. No transom saver or support. I’ve heard about them but never seen one used. I just retired my grandfather’s 1973 sabercraft and bought this. I went through two different motors on the sabercraft and a lot more miles trailering it without a transom saver/support and never had a problem. I’m just about 14 miles from the alternate ferry launch on the San Poil. So it’s not going far on a paved road. It worked fine when I parked it Friday. Like you said, guessing I blew the seals out of the trim cylinders. Will see what Yamaha says. Thanks.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by Nate »

Called tnj’s this morning. Steve? Said it happens all the time. They, are, put together by humans apparently. Hauled it up to Colville this morning. Give Clark’s a chance. Jim said at least a week. Mechanic was sick or something. Jim also said they sell about 50 boats a year and has only done warranty work on a recoil on a little motor, once. It was funny when I called and the kid asked if they did warranty repairs on Yamahas. Anyway, hopefully it works out. thanks for your help jimdandy. I’ll let you know in a week.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

Long Tom
Parr
Parr
Name: Jeff
Vessel Name: Not yet
Vessel: Sea Runner 16'

Unread post by Long Tom »

Ok.... I gotta ask.... I'm new to electric trim/tilt on these large outboards. When I bought my boat, used, I was told by the seller that when trailering the motor needs to be resting on what I'm assuming is the "support lever" you guys are talking about. Actually he said same with the 9.9,though in that case it's a pin, not a lever. But here I'm reading NOT to do this? Confused, and don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Motor is a Yammie F115, boat is a 20' Hewes.
1988 16' Sea Runner closed bow F/V "Ol' Red"
Suzuki DT40
Yamaha/Mariner 5HP kicker

2010 Pro V 200 soft top F/V "Reel Boy"
Yamaha F115
Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust

Seahusky
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Name: Eoin

Unread post by Seahusky »

This one of the best buys you can have for your Yamaha
http://www.m-ywedge.com/
I use mine every time and it dsigned to save your power tilt and trim when travelling on the road. ALso buy the steering dampers to also protect your engine rocking back and forth.

Jim Dandy

Jeff, you never want to tow the boat with the motors in a raised position resting on the manuel mechanical support levers or pins. The main should be raised and resting on a transom saver devise taking the stress off the motor and the tilt and trim mechanisms and the transom and the welds.
20150316_072848.jpg
The kicker should be in the down position when towing, and if necessary, raised up a bit when backing down a ramp.

There is a lot of weight and stress involved with these heavy motors bouncing around on the transom, remember, there is very little suspension on a boat trailer using toŕsion bar suspensions, which are not actual torsion bars anymore, now are rubber encased in steel, so every little bump is translated directly to the boat with minimal shock absorption.

Idk if this is the reason for Nate's trouble, hopefully it's all repaired quickly and covered under the warranty so he can get back on the water.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha F9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by Nate »

Thanks for the link seahusky. Sounds like I better get em. They should be here before they are done. I don’t think trailering it was the cause. Because of clearance issues it rides on the tilt cylinder, well above the trim cylinders. I haven’t gone over the schematics of the tilt/trim system but you’d think the tilt cylinder would have failed first. Thanks again.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44