Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Re: Trim/tilt sounds funny

Unread post by SilverFox »

Long Tom wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:04 pm
Ok.... I gotta ask.... I'm new to electric trim/tilt on these large outboards. When I bought my boat, used, I was told by the seller that when trailering the motor needs to be resting on what I'm assuming is the "support lever" you guys are talking about. Actually he said same with the 9.9,though in that case it's a pin, not a lever. But here I'm reading NOT to do this? Confused, and don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Motor is a Yammie F115, boat is a 20' Hewes.
I don't know Yamaha's "official" position with using the maintenance support lever for trailering. My salesman told me to do the same thing with our first boat, and then I learned Mercury specifically advises against using the maintenance support lever for trailering. When we upgraded to our current boat, I bought a purpose designed support for the main.

As Jim Dandy posted, I leave my kicker down when trailering, and in my case, even when launching. YMMV.
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Nathan Johnson
Vessel Name: alysium
Vessel: ‘19 op 220

Unread post by Nate »

Update...Jim just called and said they got my boat in the shop today and ran it up and down about 10 times. Said it sounded better and better. Couldn’t find any oil. Was gonna call it good but Yamaha told em to go ahead and pull the motor for the tilt/trim. Guess the oil was black and full of shavings. Guess something inside was cracked also, not sure exactly what he was talking about. He just submitted the paperwork and was waiting to hear back from Yamaha. Guess it’s 2600$ to replace it. Gee, hope they cover it. 14.9 hours on it. Went with Yamaha because I bought a Yamaha 4 wheeler 20 years ago and rebuilt the carb a couple times and then replaced the carb and that’s it. Been a solid machine. Kinda sucks, been working my ass off for the last year, and just finished a job yesterday and might get a few days off before we start the next and no boat. 2 hours away, can’t even work on it, or just go sit in it. Guess I’ll just have to start at the beginning of the topics on this forum and work my way to present like I did today. Lots of great info. Wish my memory was what it used to be.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

Hardrocks
Carcass
Carcass
Name: Rocky Ennis
Vessel Name: HARDROCKS
Vessel: 26 PE (Custom)

Unread post by Hardrocks »

As for the Wedge that keeps your motor(s) strait while traveling, you can use a section of PVC with a close inner diameter to the steering ram your motor has. Just cut a small section out of it along its length that will allow you to press it over the ram, then cut them the length you want to keep the motor in a position that your happy with. I use two section to keep the motor in the center. I also use what is call a "Motor Stick" for Hondas, but fits most models.
v/r
Rocky (HARDROCKS)
USCG Ret CWO4
2015 26 PE custom
with all the goodies

Tubby301
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Ted
Vessel Name: Dammit Lou
Vessel: 2018 OceanPro 220
MMSI: 338330072

Unread post by Tubby301 »

I use the same wedge as Jim Dandy. Mine says "use on the port side only" anyone have an idea what the difference would be whether you use it on the port or starboard cylinder?
2018 220 Hewescraft Ocean Pro w/fish curtain and transom door
2018 Yamaha F250 4.2 Liter
2018 Yamaha 9.9 Kicker with TR1
Lowrance Carbon 9 MFD
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Link 8 VHF

Seahusky
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Name: Eoin

Unread post by Seahusky »

The reason why it has to be used on one side than the other is due to a grease nipple location. If you put it on the wrong side and then lower the engine, the wedge will snap the head off the nipple. You will be shown which side to use the My-Wedge.

Jim Dandy
Name: Jim
Vessel Name: Jim Dandy
Vessel: 2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST

Unread post by Jim Dandy »

Eoin is exactly right, but on my 200XA it is not an issue so I can use it on either cylinder...depends on the motor.
2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha F9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance TotalScan Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club

Ride Eternal Shiny and Chrome...:udaman:

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by Nate »

Thanks hardrocks. That’s a great idea. Not near the pressure or weight on that cylinder. Unfortunately I already ordered the fancy ones. 3.70$ vs 37.50$ is a no brainer.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by Nate »

Talked to Jim yesterday. Yamaha is sending a new assembly. Guess they are 2900$. Supposed to be here next week. Haven’t had three days off in a row since last March.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor

Unread post by Nate »

Drug her back over Sherman pass yesterday. Was a lil sporty. Didn’t even have to pull a card. Good people.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

Long Tom
Parr
Parr
Name: Jeff
Vessel Name: Not yet
Vessel: Sea Runner 16'

Unread post by Long Tom »

SilverFox wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:08 am
Long Tom wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:04 pm
Ok.... I gotta ask.... I'm new to electric trim/tilt on these large outboards. When I bought my boat, used, I was told by the seller that when trailering the motor needs to be resting on what I'm assuming is the "support lever" you guys are talking about. Actually he said same with the 9.9,though in that case it's a pin, not a lever. But here I'm reading NOT to do this? Confused, and don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Motor is a Yammie F115, boat is a 20' Hewes.
I don't know Yamaha's "official" position with using the maintenance support lever for trailering. My salesman told me to do the same thing with our first boat, and then I learned Mercury specifically advises against using the maintenance support lever for trailering. When we upgraded to our current boat, I bought a purpose designed support for the main.

As Jim Dandy posted, I leave my kicker down when trailering, and in my case, even when launching. YMMV.
Well.... I asked the guys at Clemens in Eug about this because all y'all put the fear of GOD in me about trailering with it resting on the included support....grin... I must report that they said "that's what yamaha puts that on the motor for!" and further, that they'd seen plenty of damage from folks using aftermarket or home-made solutions to what they said is not a problem. They said, a boat like my ProV has such a structurally solid transom compared to say a glass boat or a plywood-filled aluminum like a Smoker, that it doesn't harm the transom one bit to trailer with the motor up on that factory-provided and designed support. That the conventional wisdom to the contrary was based on old intel pertaining to lesser transoms.

Not saying I won't end up using products like you guys are at some point, but it did make me feel better about trailer it on the factory supports.
1988 16' Sea Runner closed bow F/V "Ol' Red"
Suzuki DT40
Yamaha/Mariner 5HP kicker

2010 Pro V 200 soft top F/V "Reel Boy"
Yamaha F115
Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust