Elgavilan
Salmon
Salmon
Name: Mike
Vessel Name: El Gavilan
Vessel: 21' Sea Runner 1996

Re: The Sportsman kept me safe

Unread post by Elgavilan »

The front bow drain holes used to be a lot smaller back in 1996 when I bought my SeaRunner. Going off memory here, but they were about 3/4" holes when I took delivery. I promptly enlarged them to 2" and put new scuppers of the correct size on the outside. Funny thing is I have never had a wave come over the bow in all the years I've used the boat. The worst area to traverse was up in Kodiak in the straights between Whale Island and Kodiak island when the tide would run opposite the wind. That tide would run about 6 mph and with a good wind opposite it would stand up the waves so you had a gauntlet of 6 to 8 foot waves, closely spaced to navigate. We found the best way was to trim up and get the bow high then control your speed with the throttle and you could power through the area pretty easily.

Slack57
Parr
Parr
Name: Rich
Vessel: 2017 210 Searunner

Unread post by Slack57 »

Not positive but I believe most Hewescraft have fish box or anchor locker in bow. If your in conditions getting water in open bow its getting in anchor locker/fish box. If theres rope or worse yet a plug it does not drain fast if at all. It adds a lot of weight that you don't see or realize then add more water weight in open bow and bad things are soon to follow.

Long Tom
Parr
Parr
Name: Jeff
Vessel Name: Not yet
Vessel: Sea Runner 16'

Unread post by Long Tom »

It's gasketed, though. Not much is getting in there, and it does have a big drain hole/hose.

From an oceangoing perspective, if that small an amount of water is a problem, you're really in the wrong boat. It's assumed an ocean boat will take on water. They are not delicate flowers, these Hewes of which we speak. :)
1988 16' Sea Runner closed bow F/V "Ol' Red"
Suzuki DT40
Yamaha/Mariner 5HP kicker

2010 Pro V 200 soft top F/V "Reel Boy"
Yamaha F115
Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust

Jim Dandy
Name: Jim
Vessel Name: Jim Dandy
Vessel: 2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST

Unread post by Jim Dandy »

The further offshore you get the smaller the boat will seem. Pick your spots and don't exceed your skill or the boats ability to get you home safe. Error on the safe side always.

With all that said you will eventually find yourself in a pucker situation. It is a sobering experience.

Jim
2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha F9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance TotalScan Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio