Mooring in freezing temps?

Seahusky
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Name: Eoin

Re: Mooring in freezing temps?

Unread post by Seahusky »

Honestly, I'd be seriously looking to pulling the boat out of the water and covering it with a full tarp at least. That's too much worrying and losing sleep over it.
Where in BC are you located Andrew?

aMonster
Smolt
Smolt
Name: Andrew
Vessel: Searunner 210

Unread post by aMonster »

I'm in Vancouver, BC... not too far from you. I actually went back to the marina last night and checked the water, it wasn't frozen despite the freezing temps so I gave the engines a good warm up using a propane blower and then lowered the leg of both engines back into the water as per the majority advice. I then wrapped the top of both engines in a heavy drop sheet, then tied a tarp over them.

Maybe I'm being a bit over cautious, I'm certainly not the only one with expensive outboards sitting in the water at this marina.
Sea Runner 210
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha T9.9XBP
Raymarine Axiom 12
Raymarine Quantum 2
Standard Horizon GX1700 VHF

Seahusky
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Name: Eoin

Unread post by Seahusky »

Salt water won't freeze Andrew unless you're up in the high arctic. At these latitudes you have nothing to worry about. Do you have any on-shore storage facilites near where you live where you could remove the boat from the water completely?
I personally would not be worried about these engines freezing like what you are envisaging. They are designed to work in severe conditions. Warming up an engine that's made of cast aluminum which has massive thermal conductivity is just a waste of time. As soon as you stop the engine or the warming process the engine starts to cool rapidly as you have the lower unit submerged and the heat is just sucked away.

D'oh
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Bob
Vessel Name: Black Sky
Vessel: 200 Sportsman/140A Zuke

Unread post by D'oh »

Wow.

As a Late Season Fresh Water Boater. Who has had to chopped out on too many occasions.

Never lift the motor! It will not drain completely. (Yamaha 350 doesn't drain anyway).

I have never heard of Blankets/Heaters, but then again Unfrozen Fresh Water is above 32 degrees even if the air isn't. But they do make Bubbler's that submerse below the boat, never use one around here, by that time you are already chopping out.

Bilge water, might freeze, but it's only an inch or so, then no sweat, but chances are that it's salted anyways also.

-32F before the Windchill here this AM, not much Boat Traffic. The Hewescraft is tucked in the Shelter Logic at a Balmy -28F
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A
14x23 Suzuki SS Prop (47mph@6100rpm)

aMonster
Smolt
Smolt
Name: Andrew
Vessel: Searunner 210

Unread post by aMonster »

Thanks for the info Bob, glad I went late that night and lowered the engine after all. On mornings where you've had to chisel your way out of ice, does the engine always start spitting water within 5 seconds of turning it on?
Sea Runner 210
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha T9.9XBP
Raymarine Axiom 12
Raymarine Quantum 2
Standard Horizon GX1700 VHF

D'oh
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Bob
Vessel Name: Black Sky
Vessel: 200 Sportsman/140A Zuke

Unread post by D'oh »

Yes, the motor pumps water shortly.

The tell tale has froze up before.

My Dad and Brother chopped Dad's boat out of the Marina 1 year, 4-5 hours, they even walked on the ice around the Starcraft. They stored it in a Heated Shop for 2 nights to thaw out.

I launched it again that weekend to go Duck Hunting. Maddest I Ever seen my Dad ever get!
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A
14x23 Suzuki SS Prop (47mph@6100rpm)