C-MAP vs Navionics Charts

pgkush
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: Paul
Vessel: Sea Runner 190 ETHT

C-MAP vs Navionics Charts

Unread post by pgkush »

When I purchased my SeaRunner 190 ETHT last summer I had the dealer install the Lowrance HDS 12 Live MFD. I had the HDS 9 Gen 3 on my last boat. Generally speaking I am very happy with the HDS 12. Love the bigger screen. Still going through a learning curve of all the features.

The only thing I am a little underwhelmed by is the level detail of the Chart/Mapping that comes pre-installed with the unit. It comes with the "C-Map US Enhanced Inland and Coastal Mapping". It is okay, but seems like I had more level of detail on the older HDS 9 Gen 3 that I had.

Discussed this a little bit with the Lowrance rep that was at the Seattle Boat show. He indicated that is a complaint he has heard before. He suggested upgrading with the Navionics+ charting product. So, looking for some recommendations. What charting/mapping products are you using. Navioincs+ is around $199. Is it worth the money? Any other products you like?

I am mainly fishing in Puget Sound, Straits, and some of the big lakes in Eastern WA (Mainly Roosevelt)

Thanks
Paul
2019 Sea Runner 190 ETHT
150 Yamaha
9.9 Yamaha
Lowrance HDS 12 Live
Point1-AP
Lowrance Autopilot
Seastar Hydraulic Steering
Scotty 1106 Downriggers
LectroTab Trim Tabs
Pro Mariner battery maintainer/charger
Troll Master 2
Standard Horizon 1850G VHF

redfish40
Smolt
Smolt
Name: Denny L Maxwell
Vessel Name: none yet
Vessel: 22' Sea Runner
MMSI: 338210238

Re: C-MAP vs Navionics Charts

Unread post by redfish40 »

You can go to Navionics website and select chart viewer. That will let you take a look at what they have to offer. I have been very happy with Navionics software. They are always updating charts so you stay current.

Jeffrey98335
Salmon
Salmon
Name: Jeff Bennett
Vessel Name: Nemo
Vessel: 2016 Searunner ST/ET

Re: C-MAP vs Navionics Charts

Unread post by Jeffrey98335 »

I use Navionics +. Never been a fan of the Cmaps. I have a Lowrance HDS 7 touch gen 2

I also installed WiFi as the gen2 didn’t have that functionality built in. I run a tablet (iPad Pro) w the boating app. The two link up and I can save waypoints on either device, and have it show up on the other device. I like the look and detail of the boating app software, but that leaves me upgrading two software items every year.......
2016 Hewescraft Searunner 190 ET/ST
Yamaha 200xb(4cyl)
Yamaha 8hp kicker w Panther electric steering
Lowrance HDS Gen 2 Touch MFD
HDI Transducer
3D Down Scan and Side Scan
Lowrance Link 8 VHF w AIS receiver
"Shark Bait"