New to boating and Hewscraft - advice please

Geckobites
Egg
Egg
Name: Steph
Vessel: PAC Cruiser

New to boating and Hewscraft - advice please

Unread post by Geckobites »

I spent several days at the Seattle boat show and narrowed my choice down to a Hewscraft. Having Tom and Jerry’s around the corner feels like an asset for maintence. I’m very interested in the PAC cruiser. I’d like to tell you guys what We plan to do and make sure I’m not missing another boat. I may not use the correct boating words so help me out if need be.

I’m from down south and the weather here is more wet and cooler than what I’m used to so I’m absolutely in need of a hardtop with door. We like the idea of having a small table to play cards or eat at. A small sink and stove makes the whole package of fishing and relaxing come together for us. Heat is a big plus. Having a small area to lay down is nice but I don’t plan to sleep on the boat. I’d prefer two spring seats. I’ve found all that on the PAC cruiser but want to make sure there’s not another boat I’m missing.

I looked at the Ocean Pro as I see them around the PNW. I believe them to be more about fishing and less about relaxing, I’m hoping to strike a balance. I also checked out the Alaskan and felt it was also more fishing as it didn’t have as many options for things like a table. The Adventure is outa my price range.

Our plans is to keep it in a marina year round and sightsee and fish the San Juan area, maybe travel down to Seattle if that’s possible. We are very excited for salmon fishing. We attended some seminars on shrimping and crabbing and we are certainly going to give those a whirl as well. It’s just the two of us and have no kids. We do occasionally have a friend over that I’m sure would come out occasional so at most there’d be 3 adults onboard.

I think we don’t need a head on the boat? I feel like an emergency porta pot seems fine? Anyone have advice on this? To me it feels like it’s another system to learn and maintain, but more than that I’d rather use the cabin space for something else. However maybe I’m missing the mark as there was a lot of boats with heads at the show.

This will be our fist boat. What do you guys think, did we land on the right boat or is there something we missed?

D'oh
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Bob
Vessel Name: Black Sky
Vessel: 200 Sportsman/140A Zuke

Re: New to boating and Hewscraft - advice please

Unread post by D'oh »

I know very little about Ocean Use, so take what I say with that in mind.

But why the need for a Cuddy, if you are not planning Overnighting? Just for a Cards Table?

I (again me) would have the Cuddy crammed full of stuff not needed, and forgotten about. There are many After Market Tables available.

The Open Bow would be much handier for Docking, Hiking, Anchoring, Fishing, Hauling, and Less Not Need Stowed Away Stuff.

Porta Potty can be contained under the Jump Seats. Jump Seats can be a Bed also if needed.

Yes I use to understand the benefits of a Dry Bow, but with the Self Bailing Bows on Hewescrafts and others, the usefulness of being able to Beach, Trailer, Dock, out way the berth in My circumstances.
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A
14x23 Suzuki SS Prop (47mph@6100rpm)

Geckobites
Egg
Egg

If by cuddy you mean the sleeping area your right that’s not a huge deal to me. I think we’d dock and grab a hotel. I used to like camping but I feel my bones are a bit old for that now.

The table is important for the cards, lunch, but something I didn’t mention but is the more important thing is that my husband works from home and would like a place to sit and work on his laptop. I don’t feel it’s something he’ll do often but if I’m driving he can wrap up a document while we are heading out or while waiting on pots to pull. Maybe the Pugent Sound waters are way more rough than would allow for that? This table desire might come from a place of having no idea what we are talking about when dreaming of our boat. I’m looking at the Alaskan now and it has a table you can put in the isle way between the two jump seats. We’d thought that would be a pain in the ass to try and get around but we are planning on having aft trolling steering put in so I think that table configuration would work.

I did hop in an Ocean Pro with a door to the bow and that felt like a pretty useful feature. Now that you bring up the usefulness of the walk through to the front I see your point that it’s a pretty good trade between a sleeping area.

The balance of being happy just driving around and sightseeing vs fishing has been an issue for us when picking out a boat. Neither of us are more one sided towards one side or the other but we seem to be a 60% Fishing and 40% enjoying being able to make a cup of coffee and a warm sandwich while driving around.

Thank you for pointing out the walk through, these are tools that we’ve not used and our imagination of what would work well vs dosnt actually help could be off so point out anything you want.

Beeman
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: David Pearson
Vessel: Hewescraft sportsman 180

Unread post by Beeman »

Once you figure out what you want I suggest you get quotes from tom n jerry and verles in shelton.
I was working on a deal with T&J then on a whim called verles.
Verles starting price was 2k cheaper than T&J and that was with a 2500 discount t&j was offering.
I also ended up getting one of the downrigger for free (installed) and a fully coastguard compliant safety package. A few other improvements were also included, swing tongue trailer with spare, 36" bench seats etc.
Its a bit of a drive but was worth it for me.

D'oh
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Bob
Vessel Name: Black Sky
Vessel: 200 Sportsman/140A Zuke

Unread post by D'oh »

A Pacific Cruiser (Cuddy) has the 1/2 or Full Dinette Seating that you are looking for (table), but comes with the Cuddy Configuration only.

https://www.hewescraft.com/wp-content/u ... tion-1.pdf

Alaskans can be had with a 1/2 Dinette set up, (no Cuddy)

https://www.hewescraft.com/wp-content/u ... ions-1.pdf

Ocean Pros don't offer the Dinette set up, so a removable Table would be required.

https://www.hewescraft.com/wp-content/u ... awings.pdf

So that's kind of where your options are without getting into the Adventurer Series or Equivalent say Kingfisher Off Shore.

I am not sure anyone makes a under 25' Walk Through with Dinette options.
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A
14x23 Suzuki SS Prop (47mph@6100rpm)

Geckobites
Egg
Egg

Beeman wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:56 pm
Once you figure out what you want I suggest you get quotes from tom n jerry and verles in shelton.
Verles starting price was 2k cheaper than T&J and that was with a 2500 discount t&j was offering.
I also ended up getting one of the downrigger for free (installed) and a fully coastguard compliant safety package. A few other improvements were also included, swing tongue trailer with spare, 36" bench seats etc.

Thanks for the tip on another dealer to check prices with.

Geckobites
Egg
Egg

D'oh wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:07 pm
A Pacific Cruiser (Cuddy) has the 1/2 or Full Dinette Seating that you are looking for (table), but comes with the Cuddy Configuration only.

https://www.hewescraft.com/wp-content/u ... tion-1.pdf

Alaskans can be had with a 1/2 Dinette set up, (no Cuddy)

https://www.hewescraft.com/wp-content/u ... ions-1.pdf

Ocean Pros don't offer the Dinette set up, so a removable Table would be required.

https://www.hewescraft.com/wp-content/u ... awings.pdf

So that's kind of where your options are without getting into the Adventurer Series or Equivalent say Kingfisher Off Shore.

I am not sure anyone makes a under 25' Walk Through with Dinette options.
Thanks for the easy walk through of info. I don’t think we will use the cuddy much after some thought. I do think we’d use a dinette frequently. I dig out the brochure and the Alaskan looks to have a dinette table that you can stow away and set up once your out on the water. That might be a solid option as after some thought I don’t think working on a laptop while driving may be feezable because of waves.

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Nathan Johnson
Vessel Name: alysium
Vessel: ‘19 op 220

Unread post by Nate »

If I lived closer to the salt, had moorage, and a bigger piggy bank, I definitely would have gone with the pc/pe/Alaskan. A stove,fridge,sink,table,head would be mandatory. I do enjoy a good siesta after a meal and the cuddy, with the sounds of the water lapping the hull, would be pretty sweet too.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

Geckobites
Egg
Egg

Nate wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:46 pm
If I lived closer to the salt, had moorage, and a bigger piggy bank, I definitely would have gone with the pc/pe/Alaskan. A stove,fridge,sink,table,head would be mandatory. I do enjoy a good siesta after a meal and the cuddy, with the sounds of the water lapping the hull, would be pretty sweet too.
Nate if you had to rate them in order of importance (if your piggy bank allowed) what would you say would be more important to you vs less? I’m thinking the stove, fridge and sink would get a good amount of use if I had a table. So all those go together to me. I’m not sure about how often a head comes in handy as I’ve never owned anything besides a Jon boat. In those your not gone that long and you just go over the side. If a more pressing issue happened you hoped the shore was close lol.

Seahusky
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Name: Eoin
Vessel Name: Argonaut
Vessel: 2016 Ocean Pro ET/HT

Unread post by Seahusky »

Geckobites wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm
Beeman wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:56 pm

Thanks for the tip on another dealer to check prices with.
Check West Side Marine in Port Townsend. They are my local Hewescraft dealer and are just a joy to deal with. Their prices was better than Tom N Jerrys and North West Marine in Pasco. I wouldn't buy anywhere else.
2016 Ocean Pro 220 HT/ET. SOLD!!!!!
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha 9.9 HP High Thrust Kicker with prop guard.
Lowrance 3G Broadband Radar.
Lowrance HDS9 Gen 3 at helm.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 3 at 2nd steering station.
Lowrance Link 8 AIS VHF radio.
Lowrance Point 1- GPS antenna.
Scotty 1101 Downriggers.
Scotty Pot puller.
NOCO 2 bank battery charger/maintainer.