Mr. Dobie
Egg
Egg
Name: keith
Vessel: 26' Pacific Explorer

PE Window corrosion

Unread post by Mr. Dobie »

Hey Everyone,

New to the forum. I own a 2016 26' Pacific Explorer purchased in July 2017. I am a victim of the window seals leaking and causing corrosion. I spoke with the factory in hopes they would cover repairing the bad seal and repainting. Unfortunately, they did not. I do have to say they did send me the seals and some touch up paint, so I guess the labor is on me. I'm very handy and even more cheap, so I am planning on doing the repairs myself.
Has anyone done this themselves and is there a video or diagrams?

D'oh
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Bob
Vessel Name: Black Sky
Vessel: 200 Sportsman/140A Zuke

Re: Window corrosion

Unread post by D'oh »

Google "Windshield for pre 1988 GM trucks"

I would use the Bead Tool Trick. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pXC1eA8xE4
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A
14x23 Suzuki SS Prop (47mph@6100rpm)

SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Re: PE Window corrosion

Unread post by SilverFox »

Welcome aboard Keith!

I split this out from the other post as it's better to start a new topic than piggyback to an older one. If I remember correctly, paint warranty is limited so not surprised at no coverage, BUT, kudos to Hewescraft for stepping up and providing materials and seals at no cost. 8-)

The bead locking tool mentioned should work with the seals. Be sure to remove and neutralize any corrosion before recoating the surface or you may experience a repeat failure.
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

Mr. Dobie
Egg
Egg
Name: keith
Vessel: 26' Pacific Explorer

Unread post by Mr. Dobie »

Thanks for the response from both silverfox and D'oh. Watched the video and I think I can handle. Although I realize now hewescraft did not send any locking bead. Oh well, I sure I can find. Can the old bead be reused? Not worried about cost just correct size.

SeaDawg
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Hunter
Vessel Name: Vista Blue
Vessel: 2017-22 Ocean Pro-HT-ET

Unread post by SeaDawg »

I guess I am not understanding this. If you have a 2017 boat from Hewescraft and you are experiencing window seals leaking and causing corrosion, then unless you are storing your boat under water or otherwise improperly providing normal storage and maintenance, then this should 1000% be totally on Hewes to make right. These boats are supposed to take a lick'n and keep on tick'n. If something as rudimentary as this is failing after a couple of years, then it is clearly in my opinion a design or manufacturing issue. There are literally thousands of Hewes on the water right now that are 10 ands 20 years old that do not have this problem. My 2017 220 OP has none of these issues.

I am really disappointed that Hewes did not step up to the plate and make this right for you at no cost or hassle for you.
2017 Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT
2017 Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
Garmin 7610xsv Cabin, Garmin 942xs Cockpit
18HD Fantom Radar, ICOM VHF, ACR GlobalFix EPIRB
Scotty 1106 DR's, Discovery Bay Pot Puller
ESPAR D4 Diesel Heater

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY"

Seahusky
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Name: Eoin

Unread post by Seahusky »

The joys of mass production!

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Nathan Johnson
Vessel Name: alysium
Vessel: ‘19 op 220

Unread post by Nate »

3 years and hewes won’t cover it? Crying shame.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

Jim Dandy
Name: Jim
Vessel Name: Jim Dandy
Vessel: 2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST

Unread post by Jim Dandy »

You gotta watch that rubber seal around the windows, where there is a tiny gap in the seal on the bottom of the window, I used some silicon inside and out on this gap on both front and side windows as I noticed very slight corrosion forming at those points. I advise everyone to check their own window seals.

It pays to go around proactively looking for problems like this before they become bigger issues. I agree with you guy's about warranty coverage, and to be honest I was really disappointed by the lack of Tef-Gel on SS screws and repairs I have had to make do to this neglect during factory production.

The joys of mass production indeed, right Eoin.

Let's be clear, I love Hewescraft boats and I pimp them ALL the time.....but like everything else they are not perfect, and there is alway's room for improvement. And like Hunter said, these boats should be able to take a lick'n and keep on tick'n....isn't their moto "Rugged and Reliable" ...right?

Now, with that said, I understand that proper maintenance is a huge factor, especially in a salt environment, and yes that would be me tied up at Float 21 at WP, before my rig goes on the trailer, with the black flex hose and scrub brush washing down my boat and gear with freshwater after each trip, and flushing both motors with salt-away after each trip, spraying all my knives and other metal tools used with WD-40 after each trip..and yep, that's me with the 2 gallon pump sprayer at 0300 up in that beautiful new parking area after launching spraying down the boat trailer and brake components. I'm not the only one that maintains their equipment to be sure, it does take extra effort and is a pain in the ass after being tossed around all day and your dog tired after a trip.

It's a lot easier when I'm running the Columbia R.
2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha F9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance TotalScan Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Golight
Cobra VHF Radio
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club

Ride Eternal Shiny and Chrome...:udaman:

D'oh
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Bob
Vessel Name: Black Sky
Vessel: 200 Sportsman/140A Zuke

Unread post by D'oh »

Keith, just be aware, the single pane tempered glass of your Hewescraft, is more fragile than the Safety Glass laminated windshield. Light but firm pressure.
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A
14x23 Suzuki SS Prop (47mph@6100rpm)

Barman
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: Shawn
Vessel: 240 Pacific Cruiser

Unread post by Barman »

I am also dealing with this issue. The problem seems to be with the original window gasket that was installed. My boat is also a 2016 model.

The gasket seems to allow moisture to get under it, then traps it, which leads to the corrosion. The factory suggested a different upgraded replacement gasket, take note, I have a Pacific Cruiser not Explorer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NL ... UTF8&psc=1

So far I have done two windows, and watching the rest of the seals carefully.

These are the tools that I have found most helpful.

https://www.trimlok.com/rubber-extrusio ... s/tool-kit
and
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G5 ... e=UTF8&psc

There is an online Trim Lok video which gives installation details for this gasket. Installing the gasket was not hard, it is removing the old silicone bead around the gasket without scratching the paint that I found most difficult, then of course the sanding and painting.

https://www.trimlok.com/lkinstall