Nevada Mike
Alevin
Alevin
Name: Mike COWAN
Vessel Name: No name yet
Vessel: 22 OP HT

Help me outfit an Alaskan.

Unread post by Nevada Mike »

As luck or failure to plan would have it I ended up with 2- 94sv plus units with GT51 transducers and a 1042xsv with no transducer. My original plan was to have the 94sv units in the boat with one front and rear. Thats it. The GT51 is ideal for how I fish since I am always in salt and almost always at the 200 ft mark targeting halibut. Problem solved with a Black Friday purchase!

Well... I started thinking(never good) about radar so I bought a 1042XSV since it can use the 12 pin transducer(gt51) I have and fantom radar. So in theory I would have the 1042 connected to radar, my vhf AIS(receive only), and one of the transducers and I would have the 2 94SV units for the sounders front and rear. Does this seem like a waste of dash space? Since the 94SV Plus units were Black Friday purchases just the transducer alone would cost almost as much as one of the units.

So the question is should I scrap the two SV units and just add a networkable GPSMAP unit to the rear? This option would cost more but remove one display from the dash.

Opinions please

Shooter
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: Mr.Real Name the first
Vessel Name: Out of code
Vessel: 18'sportsman
MMSI: 0

Re: Help me outfit an Alaskan.

Unread post by Shooter »

DANG that's all WAY over my head.
Out here in the dirt, I run in 2 to 3 feet of water, no depth finder needed for that.
If I see another boat that would be a very crowded day, I probably don't need radar.
I do however cover a lot of ground sometimes a couple of 100 miles.
SOOO my flowmeter and GPS are VERY important.
Absolutely no use for a VHS radio either no coast guard or other boats.
There is seldom cell service I do try and keep in contact with the wife when I can get a few bars of service.
I should at least get a CB radio, I may be able to contact a farmer or trucker in the event of an accident.
:doh:
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

SeaDawg
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: Hunter
Vessel Name: Vista Blue
Vessel: 2017-22 Ocean Pro-HT-ET

Unread post by SeaDawg »

Yeah... I'm a bit confused on the original post also... What I can say is that I have a Garmin 7610xsv at the main cabin helm, all NMEA2000 networked and running the GT51 Ducer, also have the Fantom radar. Then for the 2nd display at the rear steering station, I have a Garmin 942xs and its just networked to the 7610 with the simple HDMI cable.... So even though the 942 is working off of the 7610 connection to ducer, radar, engine data, NMEA, etc... I still get the complete and full functionality of everything on the 942 at the rear station.
2017 Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT
2017 Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
Garmin 7610xsv Cabin, Garmin 942xs Cockpit
18HD Fantom Radar, ICOM VHF, ACR GlobalFix EPIRB
Scotty 1106 DR's, Discovery Bay Pot Puller
ESPAR D4 Diesel Heater

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY"

carlt2000
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: Carl Thompson
Vessel: North River 2500OS

Unread post by carlt2000 »

The only benefit to running the 94sv and the 1042xsv at the helm would be to have 2 separate screens to display information, is that necessary? well that's up to you. My recommendation would be to run the 1042 at the helm and one of your 94sv's at the rear helm, if you decide down the road you wish you had two screens at the helm, you could always add it pretty easily. As SeaDawg mentioned, you can network the two units together, so you can use the transducer that's connected to the 1042 and have it display on the 94sv. On my boat, I have the 7612xsv at the helm with a transducer, and I have a 94sv at the rear helm with it's own transducer, but I also have them networked so the 94sv gets any information it can from the 7612.

With that, I would like a second screen at the helm. Even with the 7612 being able to display 4 different items, there are times I wish I had a second screen at the helm.

Not sure if this helps your decision process, but I've been fine with 1 screen at the helm and 1 at the rear for several years.

-Carl
2017 North River 2500OS
Yammi 300 DEC
9.9 HT Kicker
Wallas 30gb Heater
Lewmar Windlass, 14lb Delta Anchor
Garmin Fantom 18 Radar
Garmin 7612xsv Chartplotter
Garmin 94sv at Rear Helm
Dual GT51m Transducers
AIS Transceiver/Receiver
Satellite Weather/Radio
Custom Filet Table

**SOLD**
2015 Hewescraft 200 Pro-V HT ET
Yamaha F200xb

fishstory
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Ray
Vessel: 24' Ocean Pro HT
MMSI: 0

Unread post by fishstory »

I was Tuna fishing last summer with a friend that I share trips with. He has two HDS 12's on the dash and after a couple of trips with him I wish I had the room to add another 7610xsv to my dash. He has a 3025 Kingfisher so there is plenty of room on the dash. There a so many combinations. He usually runs with the radar on one screen and sonar on the other. While fishing it's radar on one and split screen on the other with chart plotter/sonar combo so waypoints can be entered and tacks can be saved. He also has a third unit at the steering station networked to the helm. It is definitely a setup I wish I had the room and the cash for. Nice big screens that can be seen from anywhere in the cabin and more information than you probably need, but it sure makes finding fishing hot spots easier. Sorry I could not provide more technical support but when it comes to wiring I am electrically challenged.
2017 24' Ocean Pro,
Honda BF 250,
Yamaha 9.9 HT
GPSMAP 7610xsv
Suspension Seats
Scotty 1106 Electric Downriggers
Miller Marine Rail System
Brutus Line Hauler
Lee Lock Anchor System
Worlds Best Deckhand

Nevada Mike
Alevin
Alevin
Name: Mike COWAN
Vessel Name: No name yet
Vessel: 22 OP HT

Unread post by Nevada Mike »

Thanks for the comments everyone. I think I will keep all three after reading your ideas. I can handle the wiring part I just wanted an opinion regarding the two screens at the helm.