2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: Hunter
Vessel Name: Vista Blue
Vessel: 2017-22 Ocean Pro-HT-ET

Lake Roosevelt in September

Unread post by SeaDawg »

Hey Phil or anyone else...…

Wife and I just planned a houseboat trip to Lake Roosevelt for Sept 7 - 12 of this year. Not bringing the Hewes on this trip as it's really all about just chill'n and having a "house" on the lake for us and our two labs to have a blast, relax, read and just be disconnected for a week. We'll be taking the HB out of the Seven Bays area..

Just wondering what kind-of fishing might be open and happening that time of year. Won't have the downriggers but we'll still have our licenses anyway so might plink away or even try some deep 6 trolling right off the HB. Also would really be interested in dropping a crawdad trap or two! Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated.. Thanks
2017 Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT
2017 Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
Garmin 7610xsv Cabin, Garmin 942xs Cockpit
18HD Fantom Radar, ICOM VHF, ACR GlobalFix EPIRB
Scotty 1106 DR's, Discovery Bay Pot Puller
ESPAR D4 Diesel Heater

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY"

SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Re: Lake Roosevelt in September

Unread post by SilverFox »

What a cool idea!

As to fishing, Roosevelt is open year round and crayfish closes end of October, so you'll be able to take advantage of them too. Got my traps late last year so wasn't able to get out and set them before season closed. This year will be my first time trying, maybe I'll have some tips before you get there.

Good choice waiting until after Labor Day, will have cooled off and lake activity settled down. Most of the pleasure boaters will have pulled their boats and headed for home. Fishing is good along the shoreline right out of the marina in both directions. Bank fishing can be as well in several places.

If you know about how far you might travel above/below Seven Bays I could give more specific info will send a PM later. :reeling:
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Nathan Johnson
Vessel Name: alysium
Vessel: ‘19 op 220

Unread post by Nate »

7 bays is about 22 miles up-river from where I launch. Only lived here a couple years now and still trying to figure it out. Should be getting better at drowning worms by September.
Last edited by Nate on Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44

SeaDawg
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: Hunter
Vessel Name: Vista Blue
Vessel: 2017-22 Ocean Pro-HT-ET

Unread post by SeaDawg »

Awesome... Thanks Phil and Nate. Yeah.... in September, the rates on the houseboats drop quite a bit also.... we were also thinking that its a bit cooler...but still warm enough.... and the kids are all back in school. We thought about bringing the OP and towing it behind the HB.... but then thought better of it and just want to make this about chillaxing. Still would like to do some casting off the back of the HB early mornings and evenings...and maybe even some slow trolling off the HB.. The boat we're renting is the Luna Class.... 54 X 14. We've done a bunch of houseboat trips to Lake Shasta and up to BC to Shuswap as we've got it down pat... Maybe if either of you are around in Sep we can meet up somewhere and have you over for a cold one...

Do you think shrimp pots will work for crawdads?

2017 Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT
2017 Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
Garmin 7610xsv Cabin, Garmin 942xs Cockpit
18HD Fantom Radar, ICOM VHF, ACR GlobalFix EPIRB
Scotty 1106 DR's, Discovery Bay Pot Puller
ESPAR D4 Diesel Heater

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY"

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Nathan Johnson
Vessel Name: alysium
Vessel: ‘19 op 220

Unread post by Nate »

Not sure about shrimp pots. Never seen one. On the bucket list. Used to be able to put a piece of meat on a string and pull em up. They let go after they surface. Might work. If not, I’ve got plenty, your more than welcome to borrow. Was doing some research this last week on marinas in the area and didn’t see a lot of good reviews of the hb rentals in the area. NCW. Look forward to meeting you seadawg.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44