rwbrown3
Egg
Egg
Name: randall brown
Vessel Name: Penny Pauline
Vessel: 2007 OP 220

Gasoline hose changeout OP220

Unread post by rwbrown3 »

I bought my OP220 a few weeks back and since ownership I noticed the gasoline smell, especially after refueling and in choppy water, it's a 24 mile boat ride home from the spit in Homer. After reading posts on this website concerning the same thing, I emailed Hewescraft to find out what size hoses the boat came with. Cari quickly responded with my hose specs and fuel tank specs, next I called Kachemak Gear shed ordered 1 1/2 inch fuel filler hose, 3/8 fuel hose, and 5/8 hose and new clamps. I was intimidated by the job initially as I have never done work like this before, however it wasn't hard at all. Two screwdrivers a hacksaw and Kabar knife was all I needed to do the job. I only had to pull the middle aft deck out, initially I thought I'd have to remove the entire decking inside the cabin but the hose at the front of the fuel tank could be reached without removing the decking so all in all it was an easy fix.
20200515_193749.jpg
First thing I had to do was take off the back panels that cover the batteries, fuel/water separator and washdown pump. Next remove the phillips screws holding the floor down.
20200515_191332.jpg
Removing the floor panel reveals the fuel tank and three hose connections. I believe all the hoses should have two clamps on each end. I have one clamp on the fuel sender hose and plan on adding a second clamp. I couldn't slide the hose on any farther as there seems to be a little build up on the barbs that I have to clean off first..
20200515_172516.jpg
Lots of zip ties need to be replaced. I have thin ones here but want to replace them with zip ties at least as wide was what was used so that'll have to wait until I get back to Homer also. Village life.
20200515_172514.jpg
The aft port side is where the fill hose runs and the 5/8 breather hose, there is also a 3/8 fuel hose that goes to the gas/water separator.
20200515_172504.jpg
The gas lines lie in a channel just on the port side of the gas tank, they are easy to get to.

20200515_173209.jpg
The old fill hose was cracked and rotted pretty good. It was really flexible and just pulled right out. The smaller hoses were also flexible and pulled out easily. I did not see any abrasions or rot on the smaller hoses but replaced them anyways with new hoses.

20200515_175919.jpg
The new fill hose is not very flexible and I had to remove the washdown pump to feed enough hose through the opening at the rear in order to bend it over to the port side, then it was a feed an inch or two and tug an inch or two to get the hose to where it needed to be. Cari did not have the hose lengths and so I measured before having the hoses shipped over, I ordered twice as much fill hose, that was pretty costly as the hose is nearly 10 dollars a foot, note self, learn to measure!
20200515_180125.jpg
I used a hacksaw to cut the fill hose, I thought it would work as there are wires that run through the hose to keep it from collapsing. The hacksaw did not cut through the steel wire and I had to use some heavy duty snippers to cut the wires.

I have one more hose to replace, it runs from the front of the gas tank through the port gunwale back to the breather cap on the transom near the fill tube. That should only take a few minutes to run. I had a fair amount of gasoline under the decking that I managed to pump out with one of those long manual bilge pumps and a 5 gallon bucket. My plan is to get the boat back to Homer and on it's trailer. I want to take out the floors scrub down the boat under the floors and hopefully remove years of yuck and get rid of the gas odor. So far this is the only thing I have "had to do" to the boat and that wasn't such a big deal. I'm not sure if anyone else is facing this chore, but it takes a little time and effort but not a hard one at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2007 OP 220
Honda BF200 9.9 kicker
Raymarine Quantum 2 Radar
Axiom 9 100rv
Raymarine EV150 autopilot

Rebel300r
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: Anthony Hibbs
Vessel Name: Leviathan Storm
Vessel: 2016 190 SR ET HT BF150

Re: Gasoline hose changeout OP220

Unread post by Rebel300r »

Thanks for taking the time to photo and upload. It makes this process seem easier to navigate.
Scott
2016 190 SR ET HT
BF150
BA15

Elgavilan
Salmon
Salmon
Name: Mike
Vessel Name: El Gavilan
Vessel: 21' Sea Runner 1996

Unread post by Elgavilan »

Good project, I did mine on my 1996 SeaRunner back in 2014 when I rehabbed the entire boat. One thing to make sure of is the fuel type rating for the hoses. Today's fuels can have ethanol in different blends depending on the time of the year and location where you get the fuel. The hose makers now offer hoses rated for ethanol-blended fuels because ethanol can eat a non-ethanol rated hose causing all sorts of issues with the fuel system. Ethanol rated hoses cost more but it's a marginal price difference and should be required these days. The hoses I bought had a green stripe on them that signified they were ethanol rated, but I don't know if that code is used by other hose makers or if it is a national requirement. I also replaced the drain lines for the fish boxes that drain out through the transom as mine had an issue and in the summer heat had shrunk enough to pull off the outlet barb creating an Oh Crap moment while at sea.

SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread post by SilverFox »

Awesome post!

FYI, current USCG spec gas hoses are ethanol compliant, the standard went into effect about 10yrs ago. ;)
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

Bobo413
Parr
Parr
Name: Bob Okada
Vessel: 2013 Pro V 200 Hardtop

Unread post by Bobo413 »

Good work on a job well done 😉.
Mine was rotted pretty much the same way.
Wasn’t leaking just yet.
Thank you for sharing..

ShiverMeTimbers
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Woody
Vessel Name: PEIST
Vessel: 240 Pacific Explorer

Unread post by ShiverMeTimbers »

Looks like you changed those just in time! Nice work.
"Not what we have but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance." - John Petit-Senn

CWFollett
Alevin
Alevin
Name: Clay Follett
Vessel: Pro-v 180

Unread post by CWFollett »

Question now that I have looked at your post. Should I install a Gasoline filter on these new fuel injected engines. I think I have answered my question just asking it. YES ! What filters are most of you using ?
2020 Pro-V 180 ET
Honda 115, Honda 8
Baystar Steering
Garmin 93SV
Scotty 1101, D/R
When not fishing chasing Pheasants with my GSP

SilverFox
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread post by SilverFox »

My advice is to follow your engine manufacturer's recommendation. Most Mercury engines are factory equipped with a water/fuel separating filter with a water in fuel sensor under the cowl and additional filters are not recommended.

If recommended by your engine manufacturer, an external fuel/water filter should be installed. ;)
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

Nevada Mike
Parr
Parr
Name: Mike COWAN
Vessel Name: No name yet
Vessel: 250 Alaskan

Unread post by Nevada Mike »

WOW strong work. I had an OP and I noticed you have that same little drain in the floor box. Now would be a great time to put a real drain in the floor fish box. Hewes has since put a large drain in those boxes.

overtime
Egg
Egg
Name: Scott
Vessel Name: Overtime
Vessel: OceanPro 22'

Unread post by overtime »

Thanks for posting!

I also noticed a fuel smell in the cabin of my boat when I topped off with fuel. I inspected my fuel line and saw that it was in the same shape as yours. Dry rot. I have pulled my rear deck up and saw that the foam was water logged and had a fuel smell. I have removed the water logged foam and am cleaning up the boat.

I will replace the rear deck with diamond plate as well as replace all of the fuel lines with new ones.

I have been taking photos of my project as I have found the photos on this forum VERY helpful. I'll post the photos soon.

-Scott