Alevin
Alevin
Name: Mike COWAN
Vessel Name: No name yet
Vessel: 22 OP HT

Battery requirements ?

Unread post by Nevada Mike »

Good Saturday morning,

Here I sit in lockdown pondering upgrades to the boat I have not seen since it was a wee lad on the factory floor. I have a 250 Alaskan with the drum winch and a Discovery Bay pot puller. The boat was supplied with 2 Interstate 34 AGM batteries. The motor will always be running when either the puller or winch are in use. Is there any reason to add a third battery while the others are new? Both the drum winch and pot puller are a totally new things to me so I don't know what to expect. The winch will be used almost every time I go out in 200-300ft of water and the pot puller will get occasional use. Thanks in advance y'all.
Last edited by Nevada Mike on Sun May 24, 2020 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saltyduck
Alevin
Alevin
Name: Allin Fenton
Vessel: Hewescraft 210

Re: Battery requirements ?

Unread post by Saltyduck »

Brand new the batteries should suffice. As they get older is when you might have some issues. My boat also came with the same batteries as you have and i have had no issues, but as paranoid as I am I do have a third battery, totally isolated from the other two, just in case I do something stupid like forget to keep the batteries charged during the off season. I have been behind a boater who just launched his boat and only then found out his batteries are dead and now is in everybody's way in the dock. I dont want to ever be the focus of that much hate.
My plan is to keep the current batteries until they are 5-6 years old then replace them with northstar batteries. Also going up to the 31 size. That essentially gives me a third battery over the 34 size.
What you have to do is get the specs on amp draw for your accessories and compare them to what your batteries can dish out. also see what amps the motor is giving your batteries while it is running. Compare what is going out to what is coming into your batteries and you will know where you stand

rwiley
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Richard Wiley
Vessel: SeaRunner 190 HT

Unread post by rwiley »

I recently upgraded both my batteries with Odyssey Group 31 AGM's which are highly rated and manufactured in the midwest. I purchased them from Battery Outfitters for far less than I could find them anywhere in the country. They are located next to the plant where the batteries are manufactured! They are still very pricey, $791 for two delivered. They shipped them quickly, super well protected and far cheaper than anywhere near me. Here is the guy i worked with. Caleb Skaggs – Manager – St. Louis p: 636.922.7144 m: 417.365.4320 f: 636.922.7446.
2018 Hewescraft SeaRunner 190 HT
Yamaha 150 VMax
Yamaha 6YC Gauge
Yamaha 9.9 HT
Garmin TR-1 Gold, Trolling Autopilot
Lowrance Gen 3, 9 inch
Airmar TM185C - HW
Cisco Electric Planer Board Reels
Scotty 1106b Downriggers
Icom 424G VHF
Planar 44D Diesel Air Heater

SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread post by SilverFox »

Shouldn't matter unless you're using them in series like for a trolling motor bank. ;)
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

Nevada Mike
Alevin
Alevin

Thanks for the comments. I sounds like I will stick with what I have. Rwiley those will be my replacement batteries but logistics to an island in Alaska gets complicated and expensive.

MacGyver
Smolt
Smolt
Name: Tom

Unread post by MacGyver »

Nevada Mike wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:38 am
Thanks for the comments. I sounds like I will stick with what I have. Rwiley those will be my replacement batteries but logistics to an island in Alaska gets complicated and expensive.
For the first year, You might want to carry a spaire battery in a battery box and a set of jumper cables in case there a problem with the wiring.

Nevada Mike
Alevin
Alevin

I have the new Yamaha 25 fuel injected with a pull start and a decent charging system. Hopefully I won't need to kicker home.

MacGyver
Smolt
Smolt
Name: Tom

Unread post by MacGyver »

When it comes to outboard motors the two things you never have enough of is fuel and charging current.

Nate
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Nathan Johnson
Vessel Name: alysium
Vessel: ‘19 op 220

Unread post by Nate »

Good point MacGyver.

Not familiar with the fi 25. Hear they have a better charge system. Wonder if you can pull start it with a dead battery? And if it’s enough to charge the dead battery?
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44