winchesterbay oregon

fishcat
Egg
Egg
Name: fishcat
Vessel Name: fishcat 1

winchesterbay oregon

Unread post by fishcat »

Hi guys, I'm new here, I have a question for you guys, I'm thinking of buying a hewscraft 200 pro v O/B 20 footer, 115 hp honda. How well will this model due around winchesterbay and the Umpqua river? Is the model safe and stable with the incoming/outgoing tides etc.?

any thoughts would be very appreciated!!

thanks
fishcat :)

fishstory
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Ray
Vessel: 24' Ocean Pro HT
MMSI: 338224648

Re: winchesterbay oregon

Unread post by fishstory »

Should be a great bay boat. Lots and of Pro V’s in the Columbia, mouth of the river and even in the ocean. The are very popular in the Nehalem River. If your buying new I would up the HP to a 150 and you won’t be second guessing yourself. I haven’t ever heard anyone say they have to much HP.
2017 24' Ocean Pro,
Honda BF 250,
Yamaha 9.9 HT
GPSMAP 7610xsv
Suspension Seats
Scotty 1106 Electric Downriggers
Miller Marine Rail System
Brutus Line Hauler
Lee Lock Anchor System
Worlds Best Deckhand

kenya
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: steven
Vessel Name: ARROW
Vessel: Pro-V 200 T/M

Unread post by kenya »

I just bought the same boat. There's pictures in the Gallery section. I'm not familiar with the waters you mention. I've only put 5 hours on my boat so far and haven't had it in any kind of rough water so others on this site are better suited to address that issue. I will say the boat is stable and doesn't bang like I thought it might. I'd get the 150 if you can swing it. It'll cruise effortlessly all day and my top speed is about 41 mph. The smooth move seats are very nice and the I think the bigger jump seats with the bunk bed and commode are a nice addition. So far I really like the boat and I'm a fan of the Transom Mount version but many on this site prefer the extended transom. The 200 with ET could be a nice setup. Best wishes and good luck with your shopping for the right boat. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Steve S
Steve S
2019 Pro-V 200 T/M
150 Yami
Garmin Echomap UHD 94SV
Garmin 110 VHF
Smooth Moves seats
Bay Star hydraulic steering
NMEA 2000
Dual Pro two bank on board charger

SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread post by SilverFox »

Welcome fishcat! I'll echo the recommendation for 150hp if you're buying new. Is the boat you're looking at a standard transom or ET version? If buying a used ProV, and a great deal, the 115hp should be adequate.
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

Long Tom
Parr
Parr
Name: Jeff
Vessel Name: Not yet
Vessel: Sea Runner 16'

Unread post by Long Tom »

ProV 200 is one heck of a bay boat; you'll love it! They are roomy and stable when pulling crab pots and like that. As far as dealing with tidal currents in Winchester the boat will be affected for sure (as will any boat) but it'll certainly handle them in style.

One concern, again for any boat, is out between the jetties on a big minus tide the outward current is pretty fierce, and if you were to lose your main power you'll be headed out towards the bar at a fast clip! For that reason alone a bay boat should also have a kicker; a 9.9 high thrust is enough to at least hold your position.

I've only had mine out on the ocean 4-5 days but on nice days, it's a good nearshore boat. The high sides are nice out there, and she's stable. Not a hull designed for going fast in chop, though.

I have a 115 Yamaha on mine; it's adequate.
1988 16' Sea Runner closed bow F/V "Ol' Red"
Suzuki DT40
Yamaha/Mariner 5HP kicker

2010 Pro V 200 soft top F/V "Reel Boy"
Yamaha F115
Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust