Suafoyt
Parr
Parr
Name: L B
Vessel Name: ConLi 2
Vessel: SeaRunner 210 HT ET

Results are in. 25 high thrust vs the 9.9

Unread post by Suafoyt »

So I did my first 2 real fishing trips with my new 210 Searunner. The best feature of all the rigging I did was going with the Yamaha 25 high thrust vs the 9.9. We were fishing in 6 1/2' swells, against the tide with opposing winds for 2 of the days. It turned on a dime when I wanted it to, I had total control, and the trolling speed that I set was easy. Highly recommend going the 25 hp route. The 9.9 is just too small IMO in open waters.

Nevada Mike
Parr
Parr
Name: Mike COWAN
Vessel Name: No name yet
Vessel: 250 Alaskan

Re: Results are in. 25 high thrust vs the 9.9

Unread post by Nevada Mike »

Great to hear. I just got my Alaskan and opted for the 25 as well. In my case it was primarily for the fuel injection. The only trouble I had with my 9.9 HT was carburetor. My boat sits all winter and the carb would gunk up. I did all the PM stuff I could but I still had trouble.

Long Tom
Parr
Parr
Name: Jeff
Vessel Name: Not yet
Vessel: Sea Runner 16'

Unread post by Long Tom »

Suafoyt, have you run that boat with a 9.9?
1988 16' Sea Runner closed bow F/V "Ol' Red"
Suzuki DT40
Yamaha/Mariner 5HP kicker

2010 Pro V 200 soft top F/V "Reel Boy"
Yamaha F115
Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust

Suafoyt
Parr
Parr
Name: L B
Vessel Name: ConLi 2
Vessel: SeaRunner 210 HT ET

Unread post by Suafoyt »

Long Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:15 pm
Suafoyt, have you run that boat with a 9.9?
Not this one, but I had the 9.9 on my Searunner 180 and I found it to be insufficient. I primarily fish Northern Vancouver island. Things can get hairy there in a hurry. I found the 9.9 to be less than adequate in a 6 foot swell with a changing tide. Had to go to the main on more than one occasion. The 25 has the same size prop I believe as the 9.9, but as it's a 2 cylinder it just has so much more torque. I can turn when I want to with no issues so far in high winds and less than calm waters.

Geterdone
Egg
Egg
Name: Kyle
Vessel Name: Hammer Down

Unread post by Geterdone »

I have a Yamaha t9.9 on my 22 OP and it handles excellent in all conditions. I primarily fish the ocean and even in a 15kt wind it does just fine. I wouldn't want the extra weight hanging on the stern all the time.

The efi would be nice, but I have had good luck with my Yamaha running non ethanol premium it's whole life. My boat only sits for 2-3 months at most in the winter though.

Long Tom
Parr
Parr
Name: Jeff
Vessel Name: Not yet
Vessel: Sea Runner 16'

Unread post by Long Tom »

The Yamaha 9.9 is also a two-cylinder engine... mine seems to be adequate on my 20' ProV in the seas I've had it in. That said, I also had a 9.9 Yamaha on my 16' riveted (light) boat, and it really moved that boat with authority. Maybe that's how my 20' would feel with the 25 hp kicker.
1988 16' Sea Runner closed bow F/V "Ol' Red"
Suzuki DT40
Yamaha/Mariner 5HP kicker

2010 Pro V 200 soft top F/V "Reel Boy"
Yamaha F115
Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust