Advice Please! 200SM vs. 200 PV vs. 190 SR

cdubg21
Egg
Egg
Name: Casey

Advice Please! 200SM vs. 200 PV vs. 190 SR

Unread post by cdubg21 »

Hey All,

I currently have a 16 foot Lund and am looking to size up to a 20 foot boat. I have looked at Duckworth and North River, and think I have settled on a Hewes given price point, the positive things I have heard and read, etc.

I spend 90% of my time on the boat fishing and 100% of my fishing is done on a medium lake (Lake Almanor, CA) which is famous for the afternoon winds bringing some chop to the water but nothing too crazy. I don't anticipate any offshore/ocean use, only other possible use might be some big river fishing here and there.

My search has been narrowed down to soft-top versions of the Sportsman 200, Pro-V 200, and 190 Sea Runner. Looking for advice from anybody who has owned one of these models, and any pros/cons/things to be mindful of.

On one hand I am leaning toward the Sportsman which frees up some funds to get the boat rigged exactly how I want it, and on the other, I have the "go big or go home" debate. I am just looking for a boat that will handle a little chop OK,is stable when sitting on anchor or trolling, etc.....I spend the vast majority of my time slow trolling 1-3 MPH.

Thanks in advance for the help!

D'oh
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Bob
Vessel Name: Black Sky
Vessel: 200 Sportsman/140A Zuke

Re: Advice Please! 200SM vs. 200 PV vs. 190 SR

Unread post by D'oh »

I was in the Market for an 18' HD Aluminum Plate Boat. 18' is the min. on our Lake to ride 2 waves up to 2 1/2'ers. It gets worse but even 18' won't help then.

2 Dealers locally sold 2 different brands. and different motors. The Hewescraft Dealer handled Merc, Honda, Suzuki. The other Yamaha. All the 18'ers were Rated Max 115hp. Both Boats had Lifetime Hull Warranty. So I didn't want to mess with Warranty/Over Powered.

A 140 Suzuki, was only $500 over a 115hp, so I had to add 2' to a SM to raise the Max Rated to 150hp. So I purchased the Boat around the Outboard. The 140 Suzuki was the same price as a 115 SHO Yamaha, but included a SS Prop, and Troll Mode.

My Dealer suggested a 200PV, which I thought about, but I would not put less than a 150hp on a Pro V. As a Cabin Owner, I often haul Max Loads, and a 12 mile run to get there. 3-4'ers happen and Power is essential in my world.

Why a Pro V? Dead Rise and .190 Bottom Gauge. The width and weight meant very little. The DF150 would have been $3000 More, Boat $3000 More, the Tandem Trailer $800-1000 more. So $7000 wasn't in the cards.

The Sportsman, does everything I need, The Pro V would have done it a little smoother, The SR would have been a King, doing everything I do with the Sportsman.

So it's all about your Wallet. But you are not throwing your cash away like some lessor brands. Pay more now, get more later. But DON'T Under Power it to save cash!
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A
14x23 Suzuki SS Prop (47mph@6100rpm)

CWFollett
Alevin
Alevin
Name: Clay Follett
Vessel: Pro-v 180

Unread post by CWFollett »

I bought Pro-V-180 ET with the Honda 115 and Honda 8. With the ET gives you total length of 20'8". Gives me plenty fishing room ,48 gals of fuel. Look at the differences the fishing space of all of them. I fish the west side valley lakes south of Sacramento, and the delta , with the Pro-V I can fish four guys comfortably ( 98.5 " seat to transom ) and with the 115 it will go in the low thirty's which is fast enough for me. The 115 will troll down to 2 mph . If you look at the Boat Trader , the prices in the north west are cheaper ( less or no shipping ). Boat Country in Ripon sell all their boats with a SB trailers. Mine has dual axles and disc brakes it is a great trailer. Boat Country is the only dealer in California. If you chose to make the trip to Orgon or Washington the boats will be cheaper. PM me and we can talk about the buying experience.
2020 Pro-V 180 ET
Honda 115, Honda 8
Baystar Steering
Garmin 93SV
Scotty 1101, D/R
When not fishing chasing Pheasants with my GSP

Nevada Mike
Parr
Parr
Name: Mike COWAN
Vessel Name: No name yet
Vessel: 250 Alaskan

Unread post by Nevada Mike »

Here are my thoughts. I Have spent several days on Almanor and live down in Carson. I think any of your choices will be fine on Almanor if you pay attention. If you think you will ever venture to Tahoe I would suggest the sea runner for safety. I would get the biggest boat you can afford and add goodies as you can. I just bought an Alaskan so misery loves company! As far as horsepower, Almanor is not so large that the difference between 30 and 40 MPH adds that much time to your trip home. Upper mid level HP and the correct prop that will get you on step at that altitude would be fine. I was on a friends SR with maximum HP(SR HT with 225hp) in Alaska last week and the thing had sooooo much power but we were running an hour just to get first bait in the water and many trips are longer. We were over 30mph at somewhere around 3800-4000 RPM. If I had to decide today for Almanor exclusively I would get a bigger boat and less horsepower if that were my only option. I would not get anything underpowered though. If you decide on a hull then repost the question asking about HP for the specific boat and make sure to mention the lakes altitude and how many people you usually fish with. Best of luck and see you on Almanor!

pgkush
2019 Contributor
2019 Contributor
Name: Paul
Vessel: Sea Runner 190 ETHT

Unread post by pgkush »

I had a Sportsman 180 for 6 years. Just last summer I upgraded to a Sea Runner 190 ET HT. I primarily fish in Puget Sound and couple trips a year to Lake Roosevelt in Eastern Washington. I liked my Sportsman 180 a lot. It is a stable and versatile fishing boat. For the most part it handled the waters that I fish just fine. The extra length of the SM 200 would be even better.

The one significant downside to the Sportsman is the ride in rougher waters. In any kind of chop the ride can be really jarring and harsh. I installed Smooth Moves bellows seats after first year because of that. That helped, but still could be a punishing ride. That is one of the primary reasons I went with the Sea Runner 190. Increased dead rise and deeper V make for a dramatically smoother ride. I love my Sea Runner.

Good luck with your boat buying decision. A lot to think about.
2019 Sea Runner 190 ETHT
150 Yamaha
9.9 Yamaha
Lowrance HDS 12 Live
Point1-AP
Lowrance Autopilot
Seastar Hydraulic Steering
Scotty 1106 Downriggers
LectroTab Trim Tabs
Pro Mariner battery maintainer/charger
Troll Master 2
Standard Horizon 1850G VHF

SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread post by SilverFox »

Welcome aboard Casey! 8-)

We've had a standard transom soft top ProV for 11yrs primarily fishing Lake Roosevelt in Eastern WA which can get down right ugly at times. For large inland lakes, I think the ProV would be a prime candidate, but I don't know the lakes/rivers you plan to fish. The 190 SR is big step up in ride quality but it's hull and deadrise are designed for ocean conditions which aren't typically seen on inland lakes so it will naturally have the better ride of the 3 hulls you're considering.

My personal mantra is rig with no less than 80% max rated hp, max is better and completely agree with D'oh on 150hp for the ProV. Have to keep in mind the 150 will get you to 30mph at mid-range whereas lower hp engines will need to be at or close to WOT to achieve the same. For what it's worth, full load and fuel, my economy cruise is 30mph/3400rpm/5.8mpg. If I kick it up a bit, then 35mph/4400rpm/5.5mpg and those numbers are from a DFI 2-stroke! ;)

Pocket camera video of some of the roughest conditions (have been in worse) our ProV has handled well, we were 15mi downstream when the windstorm blew in, I shot this video just after loading boat on trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4frihiwl5v4

Here's another from Rufus Woods lake (below Grand Coulee dam) while holding my pocket camera and running about 25mph back to campsite - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTRFyBc ... Q&index=13

Have never felt unsafe and believe the ProV will handle more than I want to. :reeling:
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

D'oh
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Bob
Vessel Name: Black Sky
Vessel: 200 Sportsman/140A Zuke

Unread post by D'oh »

Ok Rufus's Vid, is a Mildly Rough Day for what the Sportsman handles. Honestly, it made me feel better about "Settling" for a Sportsman. The ProV does handle that Chop better, but not significantly. Thanks for posting it.
2017 200 Sportsman
2017 Suzuki 140A
14x23 Suzuki SS Prop (47mph@6100rpm)

cdubg21
Egg
Egg

Unread post by cdubg21 »

Thanks everyone the advice and input is much appreciated!! Lots to consider

cdubg21
Egg
Egg

Unread post by cdubg21 »

I checked in with Boat Country and am told the SM200 starts around $40k and then the Pro V is about $6k more and Sea Runner another $6k more. I think for my purposes the Sea Runner is overkill and I can rule it out.

Now the question is whether the Pro V is worth the extra $6k. The beam on the Pro V is 8” wider which I assume improves stability a bit. The SM fishing cockpit is 70 x 150 and Pro V is 80 x 152. Typically I am just fishing with one or two other people, and occasionally an additional 1-3 kids so a total of 2-6 people any given time.

Unfortunately Boat Country only stocks the Sea Runners but can order a Pro V or SM, so this is sort of sight unseen.

Thanks again everyone

kenya
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: steven
Vessel Name: ARROW
Vessel: Pro-V 200 T/M

Unread post by kenya »

My vote is for the Pro V T/M. Wide beam, lots of deck space, very stable with a thicker modified V hull than the Sportsman. I have the 150 on mine but it's almost faster than what I need so I would say you can save some money and probably do fine with a 115. I think the Pro V gives you the most value for the money.
Steve S
2019 Pro-V 200 T/M
150 Yami
Garmin Echomap UHD 94SV
Garmin 110 VHF
Smooth Moves seats
Bay Star hydraulic steering
NMEA 2000
Dual Pro two bank on board charger