Egg
Egg
Name: Tom
Vessel Name: Dandy Lion
Vessel: 220 Ocean Pro
MMSI: 338358773

San Juan Camping Ideas Sought

Unread post by NSPbiker »

So the SO agreed to go boat camping “as long as I can wash my hair daily”. No problem, I got a solar shower. While we can sleep in the cab of the boat, I’m looking for suggestions on moorage or camp sites you’d suggest. It’s important she has a positive experience (so she’ll go again!) and ideally catches a salmon! We are going weekend after next, probably launching out of Skyline on Fidalgo Island. I don’t know how popular/crowded it gets, ideally we’ll find a lesser-known gem to stage from a couple of nights.

I’m also looking for tips on good spots to hunt fish!
2016 OP 220 ET HT
Honda Power - BF225/BF9.9
Garmin 7610xsv w/iPad @ rear
Garmin 18HD Radar, VHF 100
Fusion BB100 Sound System
Wallas Heater and a Custom Table
Scotty's and a Brutus Puller
Wish List: Anchor winch, autopilot, bow ladder, top rack

kenya
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: steven
Vessel Name: ARROW
Vessel: Pro-V 200 T/M

Re: San Juan Camping Ideas Sought

Unread post by kenya »

Alternately you could launch at the ramps at Cornet bay just over Deception pass bridge.
There are three Marine State Parks, all with docks, worth visiting. Just across the straits from Skyline is James Island. We were there a couple of weeks ago and there were two Golden Eagles, plus Baldies and turkey vultures, feeding on a seal carcass.
Just North of Friday Harbor is Jones Island Marine State Park with a dock. If the wind is from the North you'll get bounced around though.
The ultimate park is Sucia. A special place with a dock and very protected harbor. Limited camping. Very popular and little shade.
It's nice to stop at a Harbor with facilities like showers every so often.
Friday Harbor. Good size town.
Islander Resort at Fishermans Bay on Lopez Island. Nice and peaceful.
Roche Harbor on San Juan Island. Fun place with interesting hikes - Check out the Mausoleum.
Have Fun!
Fishing:
As you head out from Skyline through Burros Pass you can try trolling for Blackmouth between Fidalgo Head and Green Point on the west side of
Washington Park and then across the straits to fish the rocky island just north of the east entrance to Thatcher Pass. Good luck.
Steve S
2019 Pro-V 200 T/M
150 Yami
Garmin Echomap UHD 94SV
Garmin 110 VHF
Smooth Moves seats
Bay Star hydraulic steering
NMEA 2000
Dual Pro two bank on board charger

NSPbiker
Egg
Egg

Thanks for the tip on Cornet Bay. I've launched at Bowman bay which is a pain with no dock and sometimes crawling with beach goers and kayaks. I think we'll launch out of Washington Park and shoot for a spot on Clark Island. No reservations, primitive camping and hopefully decent blackmouth off Lawrence Point and I like your suggestion of Thatcher Pass area. Unfortunately crabbing doesn't open until the 16th!
2016 OP 220 ET HT

SeaDawg
2020 Contributor
2020 Contributor
Name: Hunter
Vessel Name: Vista Blue
Vessel: 2017-22 Ocean Pro-HT-ET

Unread post by SeaDawg »

Not sure where you are located but another option might be to just launch from Everett and make the cruise up to the SJ Islands. I've left my rig at Everett for a few days without any issues...so far. For us, it's about an hour to the Deception Pass bridge from Everett and then just a 10 min jaunt over to Lopez.... and that's not at WOT. 32MPH cruise at 4900 to 5000 rpm. Check out these two online charts for general planning when on your laptop and wanting to show folks like your SO the plan.. Just zoom in with your mouse wheel and the online chart will refresh...

Your trip sounds like a blast. Have fun and remember that getting there can be as fun as being there.

https://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18441.shtml

https://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18421.shtml

2017 Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT
2017 Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
Garmin 7610xsv Cabin, Garmin 942xs Cockpit
18HD Fantom Radar, ICOM VHF, ACR GlobalFix EPIRB
Scotty 1106 DR's, Discovery Bay Pot Puller
ESPAR D4 Diesel Heater

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY"

NSPbiker
Egg
Egg

That's not a horrible idea, launching at Everett. I'm west of Marysville. My thought was the travel time, especially if there's a bigger swell/chop to keep the speed down. The distance from the Anacortes ramp is about 15 miles anyway. I have no idea about the security at that park but it does appear to be popular for the SJI fishery. Those maps are nice but don't appear to go full screen. Check this one out http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/ it looks like it covers the entire continent.
2016 OP 220 ET HT