Name: Jeremy Veleber
Vessel Name: Y-Knot
Vessel: 2021 240 Ocean Pro
MMSI: 368183390

RG-213 vhf antenna cable

Unread post by jjveleber »

Hey all,

It's been a while. I hope you are well.

I have this: The Shakespeare 5225-XT says that it comes with an RG-8/X cable.
I have been noticing that I am not able to broadcast very far when making VHF calls. I also notice that, much of the time, when receiving the audio is distorted. My squelch is very low (1 above the minimum). I watch some videos and read some things about VHF antenna cable and discovered that RG-8 can greatly reduce the range of my radio. I am thinking of replacing it with RG-213. Do any of you have experience with this? What are your thoughts?
rvanpra01
2021 Contributor
2021 Contributor
Name: ross
Vessel Name: Sea Senorita
Vessel: 190 searunner ST

Re: RG-213 vhf antenna cable

Unread post by rvanpra01 »

I have the same antenna. Seems to work okay for me. When I was salmon fishing out of moss landing. I was able to hear people up well north of Santa Cruz.
2020 190 SeaRunner ST
150 Honda
9.9 Honda
Garmin 93SV + HXUS604X Map pack
Garmin 115 VHF
All NMEA 2000
Twin Cannon Mag10s
Sony sound system
iTroll
Whodat Tower

Old Boat: Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600
MacGyver
Carcass
Carcass
Name: Tom

Unread post by MacGyver »

It’s has been my experience that a bad antenna or coax will not cause distorted audio reception. You may also have a bad speaker and only noticed it now that your having other problems.
How old is the antenna? The Vhf 215 come with 20 feet of RG-8/x, how much more coax do you have/need?
Sirensong
Egg
Egg
Name: Danny K Cochran
Vessel Name: Siren Song
Vessel: 160 sportsman
MMSI: 338411662

Unread post by Sirensong »

Try a different antenna and see if it changes anything. You can probably borrow one from a buddy, just to check it out. In my limited experience antenna’s rarely are the issue.
jjveleber
Alevin
Alevin

Everything is about 1 year old. I don't need much length of cable at all (~3').

My question is around the cable RG-8 vs RG-213. RG-8/x is very thin (0.242" diameter). RG-213 has a 0.405" diameter. This results in the RG-8/x having much higher loss. I think my antenna is fine.

I think that I might need to do some research and testing to understand better what might be happening. I haven't used my radio much. I was out in fog over the weekend and was being hailed or at least I thought I was. Later in the day we passed a boat with the same name as ours. Anyway, this is where I was having trouble sending and receiving. Line of sight might have been an issue, I don't know.
SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread post by SilverFox »

The loss in a 3' tranmission cable run will be negligible between RG-8 and RG-213. Disassembling and inspecting the connector that screws onto the radio would be the first thing I'd do.

I built many, many RG-213 cables (and RG-58) during my USAF career (used in ground based VHF and UHF NAVAID facilities) and, short of actual physical damage, problems were always quality of the connector build.
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

"Yesterday is the past; tomorrow the future. Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."
jjveleber
Alevin
Alevin

Ok, this sounds like some wisdom. Occam's razor. Thank you.
MacGyver
Carcass
Carcass
Name: Tom

Unread post by MacGyver »

There a couple of things that must be done if you want a trouble free systems.
The PL259 connectors are not water proof and need to be sealed against the elements. There is self sealing tape called I used called Tacky Tape.
Don’t forget to use a drip loops before going through the wall to keep water from dripping on the wiring. It would also help to have one just before the radio.

On a side note disconnect the 3 ft jumper on both ends, inspect the connector for problem. Use a VOM to make sure the cable is not shorted between the center pin and shield AND continuity between the center pins.

SIDE NOTE: if you measure the resistance from the connector going to the antenna you will have a short between the center pin and shield (( THIS IS NORMAL FOR THIS ANTENNA)) so don’t panic.
SilverFox
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread post by SilverFox »

I made a couple assumptions, one, a waterproof cable clam was used where the RG8 enters the cabin, and two, with only a 3' run, the antenna has to be just outside starboard window or above hardtop and with transceiver on the upper shelf.

On our boat I mounted the antenna, also a 5225-XT, on the port gunwale and routed cable through a waterproof clam then to helm.
base.jpg
helmupgrade.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

"Yesterday is the past; tomorrow the future. Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."
Nizzmont
Smolt
Smolt
Name: Brian
Vessel: 2021 200 Pro V E.T

Unread post by Nizzmont »

I'm interested in installing a radio in my boat and I'm curious what length antenna is good?I don't want a long one if I can avoid it..I fish 99% upper columbia river and surrounding areas
2021 200 Pro V E.T
Yamaha 150
Yamaha t9.9 high thrust kicker with F.C
Humminbird helix 10 g4n mega S.I
Fishfighter columbia river anchor system on Q.D puck
Fish Strike Fishing triple rocket launchers