SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Roosevelt 'bows

Unread post by SilverFox »

It's been awhile, a long while, since we splashed our boat, either late Jan or early Feb in fact. The boss had some health issues and a couple surgeries that took priority - thank God all is well and recoveries complete. Just about that time, it was my turn in Sept, stubborn as a mule, I toughed those out and was about 80% - 90% when I "acquired" the China flu. Naturally, the boss did too. :roll:

We're both fine, but those 2 months were a swift kick in the gut and a reminder I ain't as young and invincible as I used to be. :oops:

Two weeks ago we made a "test run" to/from our place to see if we were up to planning a trip, the following report, shows we were. ;)

Rolled out of here around 6:30 Wed evening, unloaded/unpacked after arrival and got things settled then it was almost time for bed.
Thursday's first priority was reinstalling the washdown pump hose but I'll post that undertaking in a separate topic. :ngun:

Challenges overcome, we packed snacks for a late afternoon fishing trip. Wednesday was a sunny fall day with warm temperatures but a storm front blew in that night. Thursday we woke to heavy cloud cover and spotty rain but decently flat water when we launched around 2:30. Motored downstream to a spot where a couple friends limited on Wednesday, but the 'bows seemed to have lockjaw from the change in pressure. Still, we managed 3 to the boat, one with an extra fin, so 2 came home but not pic worthy.

Friday we launched about 10 and got in them right away. Was pretty quick action and we were finished in just over 2hrs including several we had to release. No on water pics, just a bloody cooler pic, there are two over 20" on the bottom...
Friday.jpg
Saturday was a good day but launch was almost full of tow rigs! We launched and headed back to same place as day prior and saw one or two boats a couple miles from where I decided to start trolling so we pressed on. We got into them right off the bat, I had 3 in the cooler, hooked up on my 4th only to find it had an intact adipose in 30 minutes! Debbie's side not even a hit. I matched setups exactly on both sides, both rigged with same fly, baited the same as well as at same depth, and still one side is hot the other not. I'll never quite understand how that can be especially since I constantly change direction port and starboard.

After my 4th hookup I decided to change her side to a different fly pattern, instead of what I call a "perch pattern" Kekeda fly I swapped it to an orange/black Kekeda. It got hit within minutes of being deployed! Hers on ice, rig redeployed, the bite seemed to go away, we trolled quite awhile without a nibble when we reached a spot that doesn't match the typical underwater structure we find most trout but for some odd reason this one does consistently. Nothing, hmm, I made a 90° turn to port and headed for deep water, at 130' I made a 90° starboard turn and Debbie hollers "fish on"! You know how when you see the rod bend you know it's a good one? Well, it was a solid rod bend, down hard, and pulling drag before I could get the rod out of the holder. I couldn't in any at all, and knew this fish was pulling real close to the limit of my 6lb leader so just let the rod bend and use to my advantage. I'd gain 10' and he'd pull 15' or 20', over and over, until I finally started getting the upper hand. I had him close enough to see half a dozen times only to have him strip off another 20' to 30' of leader. I knew this was a native or a unicorn monster carryover. The only way I could get him close to the boat was to submerge 4' of the rod and slowly lift him to the surface, a process I repeated at least twice before I slipped the net under him. A fine native redband specimen graced our boat for a few minutes while I carefully removed the hook and gently slipped the net back in the water, one kick of his tail he left for the depths.
Native.jpg
I was happy enough to not care if we caught another, but we both did. Debbie picked up a native and added a couple to the cooler and I caught a nice 19" clipped fin 'bow when we both agreed to call it a day.
netpen.jpg
Saturday.jpg
I carefully filleted those 6 fish as we were gifting them to a friend who can't get out anymore. We met him on our way home and his smile made our day. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

"Yesterday is the past; tomorrow the future. Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."
Shooter
2022 Contributors
2022 Contributors
Name: Mr.Real Name the first
Vessel Name: Put out to sea
Vessel: "0"
MMSI: 0

Re: Roosevelt 'bows

Unread post by Shooter »

Good fishing!!!
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!
Jim Dandy
Name: Jim
Vessel Name: Punisher
Vessel: 2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST

Unread post by Jim Dandy »

Nice job Phil, looks like you guy's had a blast.
2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha T9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS Carbon 12
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance TotalScan Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
NMEA 2000
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Wave Pro 2.0
Golight
F77B Cobra GPS Marine Radio
ACR GlobalFix EPIRB
Bennett Bolt Electric Trim Tabs
Bennett OBI9000e Intergrated Helm Control
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club

Ride Eternal Shiny and Chrome...:udaman:
MountainBound
2022 Contributors
2022 Contributors
Name: Jeff
Vessel: 2010 200 Searunner ET

Unread post by MountainBound »

Nice fish, Phil. It is always good to get out on the water again. Which put-in on Roosevelt do you use?
Jeff
200 hp Mercury Optimax
9.9 hp Mercury Pro Kicker
Garmin 1042 XSV Chartplotter
Bennett Trim Tabs
Scotty 1106B Downriggers
MinKota Riptide Terrova 60" 24v Trolling motor, I pilot
Miller Marine Anchor Nest w/13# Mantus anchor
Standard Horizon GX2200 VHF with Digital Antenna
pkelly
2021 Contributor
2021 Contributor
Name: patrick kelly
Vessel: 2006 18 sportsman

Unread post by pkelly »

Very nice job Phil .. very jealous..our boats in in the garage/shop since July.way to many home improvement projects this summer .next year will be way better .
2006 18 sportsman
yamaha f115
yamaha t8
lowrance hds 7 gen 2
cannon mag 20's
hot hands wash tank
promotion columbia river anchor system
folbe jr rod holders
minn kota ulterra 24 v 60 inch.8o lb
https://www.facebook.com/patrick.kelly.98434
RFT
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Name: Ron
Vessel Name: BOAT
Vessel: 2004 Sportsman 18

Unread post by RFT »

Glad you got out Phil and especially happy you both pulled through the crude!
2004 Sportsman 18
2004 90hp Honda
2004 8hp Tohatsu Kicker

Garmin Echomap PLUS 93SV UHD
Troll Master Pro 2
Garmin Force Trolling motor
Cannon mag 10 STX
1 NOCO Gen10x2 on board charger's
Victron on board Charger for lithium trolling bank
Battleborn lithium
S5 Shockwave suspension seats
Traxtech System
Blue Water Led deck lights
SilverFox
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread post by SilverFox »

Jeff we launch at Seven Bays, just a hop, skip, and jump from our place there.

Can't tell how you much I/we missed time on the water. We're fixing that this year as Debbie scheduled a 3-day midweek vacation every month through September 2022. 8-) :reeling:
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

"Yesterday is the past; tomorrow the future. Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."
Nate
2022 Contributors
2022 Contributors
Name: Nathan Johnson
Vessel Name: alysium
Vessel: ‘19 op 220

Unread post by Nate »

Thanks for the detailed report. Good to hear you both overcame the obstacles thrown at you, and, are back on the water. Here’s to wind-free, mid-weeks in 22. :reeling:

Caught one of those San Poil redbands a couple weeks ago. Very similar to your experience. Broke my 8# leader when I hand lined him into the boat. I was amazed at the difference in the size of the mouth, musta been 3 times as big as a similar sized bow.
72724D39-EC26-413C-B53B-37C23B88270B.png
Not mine. Was it’s twin though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Nate on Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘19 op 220
F200xb
9.9 ht
Noco gen 2 mini
Planar 44
Tzt3 16f
Tm 275lhw
Northsloper
2021 Contributor
2021 Contributor
Name: Duane Cook
Vessel Name: Mighty Mouse
Vessel: Sportsman 160

Unread post by Northsloper »

Glad to hear you are both ok and kicked the China flu.

Great fishing report and pics!
2014 Sportsman 160
Full Canvas
Honda BFP60
Bowmount Minn Kota Terrova with iPilot
Lowrance Elite 7 Ti
Cannon Electric Downriggers
EZ Loader Trailer

Liberty Lake, WA