Reel Therapy ll
Alevin
Alevin
Name: Gary Fortenberry
Vessel Name: Reel Therapy
Vessel: 26' Pacific Explorer

Re: Hewescraft 290 Adventure...Lithum battery upgrade

Unread post by Reel Therapy ll »

WOW!!! That is impressive! Beautiful install.
2019 26 PE HT
Twin Honda 225's IST
Honda 9.9
Autopilot Reactor 40
Garmin 18 Fantom Radar
Garmin 8612 GPS/Chartplotter
Discovery Bay Power Hauler
Canon Electric Digitroll Downriggers
Lonestar GX2 Drum Winch
Wallas Heater
alaskakiwi
Parr
Parr
Name: Ryan Daniel
Vessel Name: Wild North
Vessel: Hewescraft 290 Adventure
MMSI: 338396013

Unread post by alaskakiwi »

Here is the final pic of the LFP battery and charge controller/distribution system install…along with the Victron energy monitoring system (Cerbo GX, smart shunts, smart sense etc)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nortontoo
2022 Contributors
2022 Contributors
Name: Tyson
Vessel Name: Norton too
Vessel: 2018 Searunner 210 ET HT
MMSI: 338394698

Unread post by nortontoo »

Thanks for sharing. Really impressive
aMonster
Carcass
Carcass
Name: Andrew
Vessel: Searunner 210

Unread post by aMonster »

Everything looks spic and span, you have breakers on the batteries, DC-DC charger, Solar charge controller AND Inverter, exactly as it should be and pretty complex operation.

Can I ask what these two battery switches are operating?
bat.JPG

I did the same upgrade last year however, with a much smaller boat (SR210), I only needed a single 280AH LiFePO4 battery. I also used a different brand of DC-DC charger which includes a built in Solar Charge controller. I purchased two 80W CIGS panels for the roof but never ended up installing them because the DC-DC charger turned out to me more than enough.

I don't have a fridge yet so I can't say I've really put the battery through any kind of serious endurance test although, I do notice running two down riggers at 200' of depth I'm drawing 10A on each while pulling up 15lb cannon balls.

One thing I notice is that the Victron Smart Shunt needs to be re-calibrated once every three months but that's a small complaint.

Congrats on your upgrade, VERY pro level work. Back when I did mine, lots of folks around here were pretty skeptical about Lithium house batteries, didn't feel the technology was mature enough for boating or worse, a fire hazard.

Here's a photo of my 'under bench seat' mini version.
Layout.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sea Runner 210
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha T9.9XBP
Raymarine Axiom 12
Raymarine Quantum 2
Standard Horizon GX1700 VHF
alaskakiwi
Parr
Parr

The two changeover switches allow me to quickly change the charge direction for one of the two DC:DC units. i.e when on engine alternator power I want both 30 amp DC:DC's charging the LFP house bank. Now, if you are at anchor on Solar (which is connected to the LFP House bank only), using one of the DC:DC units to optionally charge the AUX AGM bank (2xGP31's), and the two starter batteries (2xGP24 AGM) via the ACR's is a good solution. This boat has four banks and multiple (8) charging sources depending on operating scenario's. With the LFP bank decoupled from the AGM AUX/Starter banks life gets more complicated but my solution works well. I have been testing it on our inside passage trip the last three weeks and so far no issues.

70 amp Invertor Charger (Generator or shore power)
2x10amp NOCO Charger/maintainer (Generator or shore power)
100/30 MPPT Solar (works all the time, provided it is sunny, and roof mounted dingy doesn't shade to much)
2x 30amp DC:DC (one dedicated, one bi-directional with changeover switches)
2x 60amp Alternators connected to port/stb starter banks , and the Aux AGM bank via two bluseas ACR's,

I can easily charge the LFP's while running at 90-100 amps with a combination chargers...The SOK batteries upper limit is 50amps each (100 total). I just turn the Invertor/charger on, and one of the DC:DC's...

If your interested, with the boat power loads and our current not so economical usage pattern we are consuming about 50% (200ah/day) with the two Dometic fridges/freezers, 15kw hydronic heater, cabin stuff, wallas cook top, coffee machine, toaster, microwave, Starlink internet dish/wifi router, ipad, computer, two iphones, audio system etc. Without humans in the boat the solar panels (3x175watt) are sufficient to keep the basic systems on and LFP bank/AGM banks fully charged provided the weather is not to cloudy!
aMonster
Carcass
Carcass

alaskakiwi wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:17 pm The two changeover switches allow me to quickly change the charge direction for one of the two DC:DC units. i.e when on engine alternator power I want both 30 amp DC:DC's charging the LFP house bank. Now, if you are at anchor on Solar (which is connected to the LFP House bank only), using one of the DC:DC units to optionally charge the AUX AGM bank (2xGP31's), and the two starter batteries (2xGP24 AGM) via the ACR's is a good solution. This boat has four banks and multiple (8) charging sources depending on operating scenario's. With the LFP bank decoupled from the AGM AUX/Starter banks life gets more complicated but my solution works well. I have been testing it on our inside passage trip the last three weeks and so far no issues.
Okay that makes great sense but wouldn't you also have to change the charge profile of the DC-DC you flip the changeover switch on to AGM instead of LFP? If your Victron DC-DC auto-senses the battery chemistry it's charging then they are way ahead of Renogy because I have to physically hit a pinhole button on the charger to change the charging profile for the battery type it's charging.

I can easily charge the LFP's while running at 90-100 amps with a combination chargers...The SOK batteries upper limit is 50amps each (100 total). I just turn the Invertor/charger on, and one of the DC:DC's...
How many amps do your DC-DCs put out under planing speed and were you at all concerned about not drawing more than half what your stators put out?

If your interested, with the boat power loads and our current not so economical usage pattern we are consuming about 50% (200ah/day) with the two Dometic fridges/freezers, 15kw hydronic heater, cabin stuff, wallas cook top, coffee machine, toaster, microwave, Starlink internet dish/wifi router, ipad, computer, two iphones, audio system etc. Without humans in the boat the solar panels (3x175watt) are sufficient to keep the basic systems on and LFP bank/AGM banks fully charged provided the weather is not to cloudy!
That is completely brilliant, and I bet you could get that down to about a 30% daily draw with some efficiency upgrades on your fridge/freezers. You are basically running a floating apartment. Sorry if I missed it earlier but how many Watts worth of panels do you have on this rig?
Sea Runner 210
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha T9.9XBP
Raymarine Axiom 12
Raymarine Quantum 2
alaskakiwi
Parr
Parr

Yes, you may need to change the charge profile via bluetooth/iphone App, but my SOK batteries use 14.6/13.8 which matches the AGM AUX/Starters. My Honda BF250's allow full charge output at idle, or just above. They each have 100ah alternators, and the 30amp DC:DC doesn't seem to worry them at all. The pilot house roof as 3x175 watt flexible renogy mono panels installed. Rigid panels would be much more efficient but these are flush mounted directly to the pilot house roof (3m 4200 sealant) , and I can walk on them to get the dingy etc.
aMonster
Carcass
Carcass

30A for each DC-DC charger is nothing, I doubt your engines would even notice a constant 60A draw. If you want high efficiency flexible panels that don't degrade like normal flex planes, check out CIGS panels. They cost a small fortune but for the size and weight, they are easily the best ultra durable lightweight compromise on the market.
Sea Runner 210
Yamaha F200XB
Yamaha T9.9XBP
Raymarine Axiom 12
Raymarine Quantum 2
Yanert
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Name: Steve Jones
Vessel Name: Lobo Del Mar
Vessel: 285 Pacific Explorer

Unread post by Yanert »

alaskakiwi I bow to your electrical system, Mine is complicated, redundant and works for days without shore power, but you've taken this to another level. When you surprise McGiver you are pushing the envelope.