Tubby301
2022 Contributors
2022 Contributors
Name: Ted
Vessel Name: Dammit Lou
Vessel: 2018 OceanPro 220

Coffee or Beer?

Unread post by Tubby301 »

I was able to take a page from "Silverfox's" book and target the net pen rainbows on Roosevelt this week. I really never had an inkling to fish for this species before I met Phil and wasn't really enamored with the thought until I retired and really needed to see something other than the inside of my shop. Phil assured me and from his posts I could see they were quality fish. My good friend Gordon who has a place near Seven bays took the bait when I asked him if he had been fishing lately as he has fished for them before. A bit cold he said but he did ask if my brother would like to go along. Ah "yes" he is game too I said so we planned for a trip for Sunday thru Wednesday including travel time.

We got up to Gordon's place and it was colder than a "well diggers brass monkey" likely froze to death getting everything started up and ready to go. We had a good dinner that night and prepared for fishing the next day. I went to bed with my teeth chattering but soon warmed up and fell sound asleep.

This was to be a gentlemen's trip so don't get up too early. You can't change a lot of things so waiting for coffee till after 5:30 wtf? I have to admit that was one of the best cups of coffee of my life! How can that taste so good? Anyway pursuant to the gentleman's trip we were allowed several cups of that wonderful brew. Alas breakfast devoured and coffee drank we were off to fishing.

We launched at Seven Bays some time after 8am and it was still nipply as they say. In the low 20's the ramp was a tad icy from the 2 boats that launched just as we got there. Off to a day of fishing that was productive and memorable with stories told and fish caught.

We tried a few spots with no luck then dropped in where they were hanging. Best lures of the day were perch colored floating Rapalas and Perch colored Kekeda flies (Thanks for the tip there Phil!). Ran the Rapalas on the surface 110 feet back and the flies on the riggers at 23 feet on the wire. Ended the day with 13 in the box as we didn't need any more fish to clean.

Who would have figured the beer tasted as good as the coffee later in the day with the heater running in the boat. I guess it is a tossup. Chime in if you think different:)

We cut the trip short with the forecast of really crappy weather Tuesday and pulled the plug and headed home early.

Pics of the bleed cooler. No need for ice this day, lake Roosevelt in November and my brother with a nice trout.
rosevelt rainbows 11.22.jpg
lake roosevelt 11.22.jpg
UD rainbow 11.22.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tubby301 on Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
2018 220 Hewescraft Ocean Pro w/fish curtain and transom door
2018 Yamaha F250 4.2 Liter
2018 Yamaha 9.9 Kicker with TR1
Lowrance Carbon 12 and Carbon 9 MFD
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Link 8 VHF
Jim Dandy
Name: Jim
Vessel Name: Punisher
Vessel: 2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST

Re: Coffee or Beer?

Unread post by Jim Dandy »

Wtf....sleeping in, breakfast, no 72 mile run, don't get your brother spoiled before next summer.... :biggrin:

Good job Ted, looks like you guys braved the cold, had a good time and bagged some good looking Rainbows.
2012 Sea Runner 220 ET ST
Yamaha F200XA
Yamaha T9.9 HT
Lowrance HDS Carbon 12
Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3
Airmar TM260 Transducer
Lowrance TotalScan Transducer
Lowrance 4G Radar
Lowrance Point 1
NMEA 2000
Custom WhoDat Boat Tower
Wave Pro 2.0
Golight
F77B Cobra GPS Marine Radio
ACR GlobalFix EPIRB
Bennett Bolt Electric Trim Tabs
Bennett OBI9000e Intergrated Helm Control
LeeLock Anchor System
Folbe Rod Holders
Fish-On Rod Holders
Big Fish Club

Ride Eternal Shiny and Chrome...:udaman:
SilverFox
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Captain, Mechanic, Deckhand
Name: Phil
Vessel: '09 ProV
MMSI: 338146901

Unread post by SilverFox »

Awesome post Ted and I could live your trip vicariously from home. Glad you had a great trip. Beer or coffee? Depends how cold I am. :biggrin:
'09 20' ProV
'09 150hp Merc Optimax
'09 8hp Merc 4-stroke
Mercmonitor
Raymarine DS600X
Raymarine a78 MFD
Raymarine CPT-100 DownVision
Raymarine CPT-200 SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster ProII
Traxstech System
NOCO Gen3 on-board charger
Motorguide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Spangle, WA

"Yesterday is the past; tomorrow the future. Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."
pkelly
I really need a life!
I really need a life!
Name: patrick kelly
Vessel: 2006 18 sportsman

Unread post by pkelly »

Great read and pictures thanks Ted.
2006 18 sportsman
yamaha f115
yamaha t8
lowrance hds 7 gen 2